Acrylic bottom

Trail7

O.G.
Jan 12, 2008
Has anyone tried the custom acrylic flat bottom that fits in the City to help it maintain it's shape? Do you think it would somehow hurt the leather in any way or cause any damage to the bag over time? It's very thin and light with rounded corners but quite strong. It's on ebay and a few other sites.

But why? Balenciaga bags are lovely unstructured bags, they have lovely leather which slouch nicely and don't need any support ;) Just my opinion ...

But why? Balenciaga bags are lovely unstructured bags, they have lovely leather which slouch nicely and don't need any support ;) Just my opinion ...

I agree. I would never use one. The appeal of Bals is in their slouchiness. To maintain its shape you can stuff the bag when in storage.

I've tried using the acrylic base shaper, and it gives the bag a very awkward shape, making it quite uncomfortable to carry.

I'd recommend against it, unless you can find a leather one. The acrylic is just too rigid, and judging by this, if you were to accidentally hit your bag's corner on a hard surface, there could be damage.