Travel Briggs and Riley Luggage

uhpharm01

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
I'm thinking about buying a briggs and riley luggage. For international travel.
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/group.aspx?sec=travel

This one as the checked in luggage
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Medium-Spinner_QU126SP&sec=travel
Does anyone have this brand? Would you buy it again? Have you had any problems with this brand? I was thinking about getting either the TUMI or the Rimowa Salsa AIr, but I've heard about some of the problems that people were having with them. Then I heard about this brand and that they have a lifetime warranty.

Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking about buying a briggs and riley luggage. For international travel.
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/group.aspx?sec=travel

This one as the checked in luggage
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Medium-Spinner_QU126SP&sec=travel
Does anyone have this brand? Would you buy it again? Have you had any problems with this brand? I was thinking about getting either the TUMI or the Rimowa Salsa AIr, but I've heard about some of the problems that people were having with them. Then I heard about this brand and that they have a lifetime warranty.

Thank you in advance.

I have this one which I use for international travel and I love all the pockets and the mesh front which I generally use for a coat or pillow. I have Rimowa for my regular luggage and I love it but it doesn't have the pockets.
I googled this and added a link for information but I don't know if this I s international travel size. Mine is. I bought it a few years ago I don't think it is current collection.
416b1wBVCoL._SY445_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Luggage-International-Upright/dp/B0053RF2VM

Make sure that the measurements provided by the retailer and manufacturer includes the wheels and feet and handles. I bought a Briggs and Riley carry-on that supposedly met the airline size requirements. I didn't discover until I got on the plane that it was too big to fit wheels first in the overhead because the dimensions given were just for the body (boggles the mind why they do this when you have to fit the ENTIRE suitcase with wheels in the compartment). I had to turn my bag 90 degrees and be one of those annoying people. Anyway, that experience turned me off B&R luggage forever.

Make sure that the measurements provided by the retailer and manufacturer includes the wheels and feet and handles. I bought a Briggs and Riley carry-on that supposedly met the airline size requirements. I didn't discover until I got on the plane that it was too big to fit wheels first in the overhead because the dimensions given were just for the body (boggles the mind why they do this when you have to fit the ENTIRE suitcase with wheels in the compartment). I had to turn my bag 90 degrees and be one of those annoying people. Anyway, that experience turned me off B&R luggage forever.
This!!!

I HATE my Briggs and Riley carry-on. Although it meets the requirements, the wheels are external and so it doesn't fit in the standard bins on some airlines. Also, you can't use the front pocket because it sticks out so much (even with just a magazine) that it doesn't fit in an overhead bin. You can only load them handles-first in the bin. It won't fit in any with the wheels first. It's always a struggle and I'm always worried that the flight attendants will make me check my bag. The bag is also VERY heavy. I'm actually about to purchase a Rimowa carry-on to use instead. I've had the Briggs & Riley since 2008 and it's been awful.

This!!!

I HATE my Briggs and Riley carry-on. Although it meets the requirements, the wheels are external and so it doesn't fit in the standard bins on some airlines. Also, you can't use the front pocket because it sticks out so much (even with just a magazine) that it doesn't fit in an overhead bin. You can only load them handles-first in the bin. It won't fit in any with the wheels first. It's always a struggle and I'm always worried that the flight attendants will make me check my bag. The bag is also VERY heavy. I'm actually about to purchase a Rimowa carry-on to use instead. I've had the Briggs & Riley since 2008 and it's been awful.

You have the patience of a saint to keep that suitcase that long. I got rid of mine the second I got home from the trip - I ate the cost because I already used it; I couldn't return and get my money back. And since there was no defect per se, they wouldn't do an exchange. It was an expensive mistake, but I don't like keeping things that don't work for me.

You have the patience of a saint to keep that suitcase that long. I got rid of mine the second I got home from the trip - I ate the cost because I already used it; I couldn't return and get my money back. And since there was no defect per se, they wouldn't do an exchange. It was an expensive mistake, but I don't like keeping things that don't work for me.
I've even shipped it to the company, thinking that mine was defective for being outside of the stated measurements. They shipped it back and said there's nothing they can do (duh). Never again!

This!!!

I have Briggs & Riley luggage & I love it. (Not offended cause you don't like yours.) I have had no issues & stuff the front pocket with mags & newspapers. What I really like is the extra space that one can use or not use with the zipper. Bought in 2011. Maybe they fixed the wheel & weight issue. Mine doesn't seem heavy, not like my samsonite was.( I have a Brics carry on that is amazingly heavy. But gorgeous!)
We only fly business or first if I'm going overseas or longer than 4 hours. So I am in coach much of the time. We usually board early & head for where there are no people so we're most likely first in the overhead.

Last edited:

Oh my!!

I have Briggs & Riley luggage & I love it. (Not offended cause you don't like yours.) I have had no issues & stuff the front pocket with mags & newspapers. What I really like is the extra space that one can use or not use with the zipper. Bought in 2011. Maybe they fixed the wheel & weight issue. Mine doesn't seem heavy, not like my samsonite was.( I have a Brics carry on that is amazingly heavy. But gorgeous!)
We only fly business or first if I'm going overseas or longer than 4 hours. So I am in coach much of the time. We usually board early & head for where there are no people so we most likely first in the overhead.

There were no issues with B&R bags per se. The issue was with the dimensions B&R gives: they did not include the wheels and feet, which added enough length to the suitcase that it could not fit into the standard domestic overhead bin in the correct orientation thereby completely negating the "carry-on" description. This is why I specifically counseled that OP make sure that the dimensions provided include wheels and feet.

It seems B&R still isn't providing the full bag dimension so just be aware of this OP:

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 115
There were no issues with B&R bags per se. The issue was with the dimensions B&R gives: they did not include the wheels and feet, which added enough length to the suitcase that it could not fit into the standard domestic overhead bin in the correct orientation thereby completely negating the "carry-on" description. This is why I specifically counseled that OP make sure that the dimensions provided include wheels and feet.

It seems B&R still isn't providing the full bag dimension so just be aware of this OP:

apey_grapey

Thank you for posting that screen shot.

I'll keep the full bag dimension in mind. I'll being fly premium economy or business when I can afford it. I can't afford first class. At least not yet.

Understood it was a bag measurement issue not so much B&R quality problem.

I just got back from a trip, bag not put away yet, so I measured mine. I probably have a smaller one, mine is 22' inches with the wheels & handle. (No clue what model this is. Bought in 2011.)
Last thing I want is for the airlines to make me check my carry on. :yucky:

I just got back from a trip, bag not put away yet, so I measured mine. I probably have a smaller one, mine is 22' inches with the wheels & handle. (No clue what model this is. Bought in 2011.)

Thank you!!!

Mine was billed as a carry-on, but I can only carry-on with certain airlines. Southwest is okay. Occasionally, Delta is okay. United, US Air, etc. usually make me check it. I never over-fill the bag. It's usually half-empty and there's still a space issue. Unfortunately, I realized it after I purchased the bag and attempted to use it. The company wouldn't refund me or switch it out for another. Hopefully, they've fixed the dimensions since 2008. It seems like a lot of people had the same problem with the dimensions. The top of the bag fits, but it's the bottom where the wheels are located that is the problem.

Mine was billed as a carry-on, but I can only carry-on with certain airlines. Southwest is okay. Occasionally, Delta is okay. United, US Air, etc. usually make me check it. I never over-fill the bag. It's usually half-empty and there's still a space issue. Unfortunately, I realized it after I purchased the bag and attempted to use it. The company wouldn't refund me or switch it out for another. Hopefully, they've fixed the dimensions since 2008. It seems like a lot of people had the same problem with the dimensions. The top of the bag fits, but it's the bottom where the wheels are located that is the problem.

thanks for the heads up. Also, I had went by the luggage store. The sales guy mentioned that how Briggs has the handle exposed outside of the luggage and he also stated not to buy something based on the warranty . He said it would just be a matter of when it will be damaged. He stated that Tumi repair turn around repairs was really if anything was to happen to the luggage. So, I'm thinking about the Tumi soft luggage.

thank you