Anyone else with past experiences that mentally affect possible future purchases?

diane278

Minimalist Wannabe....
O.G.
Apr 1, 2012
I recently saw the aubergine pillow and realized that the color reminds me of the old classic penny loafers. I sort of think the color could be versatile, but I can't seem to get past my mental image of those penny loafers I wore to middle school along with a really bad perm. Unless you were alive in the 50's and early 60's, click away now…as this will mean nothing to you. There are some nice updated versions of the penny loafer today, sans the penny slot, but if you weren't around back then, you probably missed the "bad home perm" experience. I look at the aubergine and think of that perm. Ouch! This is a bigger obstacle than $.

I don't have any photos of me from that moment in time (lucky you), but here is one I found online that shows a girl with an exact duplicate of my first hair dryer. I ask you, how could my perm during that era have been anything but bad?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 3.48.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 3.48.37 PM.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 402
I recently saw the aubergine pillow and realized that the color reminds me of the old classic penny loafers. I sort of think the color could be versatile, but I can't seem to get past my mental image of those penny loafers I wore to middle school along with a really bad perm. Unless you were alive in the 50's and early 60's, click away now…as this will mean nothing to you. There are some nice updated versions of the penny loafer today, sans the penny slot, but if you weren't around back then, you probably missed the "bad home perm" experience. I look at the aubergine and think of that perm. Ouch! This is a bigger obstacle than $.

I don't have any photos of me from that moment in time (lucky you), but here is one I found online that shows a girl with an exact duplicate of my first hair dryer. I ask you, how could my perm during that era have been anything but bad?!
OK, you are hereby officially sworn in as My Older Sister. I remember this when I was growing up, but not on ME, but a slightly older girl who lived down the street - she was into all that stuff and she taught me how to wear make-up, too.

I don't wear make-up to this day. Scarred for life.

Anyway, there is a BV bag I'd never buy; every time I see it I think of a couch cushion and can't fathom using it as a bag. I can't remember the name of it, either, I'm still thinking about make-up.

Traumatized, that's me.

Last edited:
I loved those penny loafers. I think the color was cordovan. It is similar to aubergine but without the purple tint.
I also loved the seat cushion bag. It was crocheted?

I loved those penny loafers. I think the color was cordovan. It is similar to aubergine but without the purple tint.
I also loved the seat cushion bag. It was crocheted?
Yes…it was cordovan. I wore them for several years. However, they now remind me of that perm…and don't even get me started on my pink cat's eyes glasses….

OK, you are hereby officially sworn in as My Older Sister. I remember this when I was growing up, but not on ME, but a slightly older girl who lived down the street - she was into all that stuff and she taught me how to wear make-up, too.

I don't wear make-up to this day. Scarred for life.

Anyway, there is a BV bag I'd never buy; every time I see it I think of a couch cushion and can't fathom using it as a bag. I can't remember the name of it, either, I'm still thinking about make-up.

Traumatized, that's me.
Makeup requires way too much expertise, time and effort for me. I did have that hairdryer. I couldn't go very far using it as I was plugged into a wall socket. Now I am remembering my junior year in high school when lip gloss came out. It wasn't yet available in our little town, so some of the girls tried to smear red lipstick on their lips to make it look like tinted gloss. It was a giant FAIL.

I had saddle shoes, Bass Weejuns, and topsiders. I was photographed in our yearbook (I graduated in 1984) as an example of preppy fashion. So those shoes were part of the repertoire.

None has plagued me since though. And yet, I do have some aversion to brown pants. And there is history to that. My boyfriend in high school referred to them once as my 'fat pants.' I couldn't be too furious because they were wide wale cord after all. But 30 years later, I tend to avoid brown pants now, even in a luxe wool!

I had saddle shoes, Bass Weejuns, and topsiders. I was photographed in our yearbook (I graduated in 1984) as an example of preppy fashion. So those shoes were part of the repertoire.

None has plagued me since though. And yet, I do have some aversion to brown pants. And there is history to that. My boyfriend in high school referred to them once as my 'fat pants.' I couldn't be too furious because they were wide wale cord after all. But 30 years later, I tend to avoid brown pants now, even in a luxe wool!
It's amazing how a few moments in time can remain in our minds forever….both negative and positive events.

It's amazing how a few moments in time can remain in our minds forever….both negative and positive events.
I found what I thought was a glorious dress to wear to a law enforcement function; I felt so pretty and I loved how I felt in it, and my best guy friend told me right off the bat that it looked like I was wearing a shower curtain. To this day, no prints for me unless they are small prints. That was in the early 80s. I think of that dress every time I see a ...well, let's put it this way: if I think it, I don't even try it on.

My mom had a dryer like that that she seldom used but I remember using it a few times when I was in perhaps junior high, don't remember the exact time. Reminds me of home perms and pink sponge rollers.

So....feathered hair.

There were variations.. There was he single tight roll, the meet in the back feather, and something in between. I was single feather--not the tight roll though. My hair was too fine for the other options.

Hehe, I too had that hair dryer. My uncle Andy had a beauty shop in the 50s-70th (Andre's Beauty Box, pretty fancy name, eh?) and he bought me one.

The BV experience for me is that there was a bag that looked like the Simon Game. I could never get that.

Oh, how about the one that looked like it had the measels? In was very pretty in person, but the pictures were not good.

I'll have to find pictures of both.

I remember the Simon game bag and made the same connection.

Mine were the scarab bug bags. My mom always wore a scarab bracelet growing up so I always loved the imagery. But, had just been to a hotel in Florida that was fumigating- so the bugs went up to higher levels. Still shudder thinking about it. Very nice hotel but... very very big bugs.

Also had the hair dryer but wore the hose to the back of my head

OK, any of the 'eye' jewelry - will never be able to buy, because my first response to it is always something to do with the Ouija board. Actually played that in the early 70s, those impressionable early teen years.