getting my upgrade early - round or emerald cut eternity band????

htabby

O.G.
Apr 10, 2010
Hello ladies, my husband just informed me that I will be able to get an upgraded eternity band for my birthday next month instead of waiting for our anniversary/xmas. I am so excited but cannot choose between either a round cut diamond eternity band (approx 25 pointers) or an emerald cut eternity band (approx 20 pointers). I believe both rings would be around 4 mm wide. Emerald cut is my favorite shape but there is something about a round eternity band that I love!!!! I really would like both but that is not an option!

My engagement ring is a 5.18 ct yellow emerald cut sapphire in a diamond halo with diamonds half way down the shank. I will continue to wear my engagement ring on the left hand and would wear the larger eternity band on the right hand. Also, when I don't want to wear my engagement ring I will love being able to wear a bigger eternity band by itself on my ring finger - love that look!!!:smile:

The reason I am having difficulty deciding is that I am not sure if I should pull from the emerald cut engagement ring by going with an emerald cut eternity ring or if it really doesn't matter.

Any advice would help as I have been told this is it for awhile by my awesome hubby (lol)!!!! Once I make a decision I should have the ring by the end of September.

Attachments

• tpf ering.jpg
    tpf ering.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 840
  • fire resized.jpg
    fire resized.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:
Awww Congrats!!! How exciting :smile: I would go with the emerald cut eternity band..because I am obsessed with emerald cut and my engagement ring is emerald cut as well and I cant imagine getting a round (brilliant) cut eternity band. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!

Your e-ring is gorgeous and unique! I think I would stick with a round cut band that matched the smaller band on your e-ring. I think an emerald cut may be too busy.

Awww Congrats!!! How exciting :smile: I would go with the emerald cut eternity band..because I am obsessed with emerald cut and my engagement ring is emerald cut as well and I cant imagine getting a round (brilliant) cut eternity band. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much - I am so excited!!!! I too am obsessed with emerald cut which is why I chose that cut for my engagement ring. The main reason why I am considering a round cut eternity band is because I do have round cut diamonds in my halo and on the band. I honestly do love both its so hard to decide!!!!

Your e-ring is gorgeous and unique! I think I would stick with a round cut band that matched the smaller band on your e-ring. I think an emerald cut may be too busy.

Thank you so much!!!! I absolutely love my ering and so does my husband - I still catch him staring at it 3 years later. One of my concerns as well was that an emerald cut diamond eternity band might be too busy with an emerald cut ering even though I will be wearing the eternity band on a different hand. The one thing I really love about round diamond eternity bands is that I feel they have a softer look which I think is what I may be looking for. This is so hard!!!!!!

Why don't you try on an alternating emerald and round cut eternity band? Maybe that would look good with your ring also. You can even do diamond emerald cuts and yellow sapphire round cuts alternating. I think that would compliment your gorgeous engagement ring.

Why don't you try on an alternating emerald and round cut eternity band? Maybe that would look good with your ring also. You can even do diamond emerald cuts and yellow sapphire round cuts alternating. I think that would compliment your gorgeous engagement ring.

Thanks! I love alternating shape eternity bands that are smaller and art deco looking. I actually was considering one a while ago to stack with my ering but because I want a stand along eternity band for my opposite hand I think I want to stick with one shape. I would love in the future to have an art deco type band - I think they are goreous!!!!!

I agree with SQ. The ring is beautiful on its own so I would personally stick with simple and let the e-ring steal the show.

Thanks so much!!!! I agree and am seriously leaning towards a round diamond eternity band. It won't be the width of my ering shank which is 2 mm as I want it for my right hand and as a stand alone ring. I have to give my husband my decision by the end of this week so he can get started on the process!!!

So me and the hubby went and took a final look at different eternity bands and sizes. I have decided to go with the round diamond eternity band with 25 point stones which if I recall correctly will be about 4.5 TCW for my ring size.

My question is when I was looking at the different options for style I was originally going to go with a more open view on the side. Should I be worried about the security of the stones and also with the ring being harder to clean with this design? I also saw a more closed style on the side which I loved as well and the ring was still super sparkly. Any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks so much!

I noticed that the rounds on your ER are set in a classic prong style. I would definitely choose the eternity to match. The "U" setting exposes the diamonds and therefore compromises their safety. Beautiful ring:smile:

I noticed that the rounds on your ER are set in a classic prong style. I would definitely choose the eternity to match. The "U" setting exposes the diamonds and therefore compromises their safety. Beautiful ring:smile:

Thanks so much!!!! We have decided against the "U" style and will go with the basket style (I think that was what it was called). I noticed in some samples that there is an open basket and closed basket - do people find that the open basket is harder to clean?

I'd love to see what you mean by open basket. Do u have a pic?

Hi yes I have attached a few of pictures I found on google of a closed basket eternity band and an open basket eternity band. I also noticed that some websites call an open basket an "airline". I am not good with all the different terminology (lol).

I think I am loving the look of the open basket but am not sure how easy it will be to keep clean. I am leaning more towards this look but if there are issues with it I am happy to get the closed basket setting as well. I also don't know if 25 pointers are better off in a closed basket setting or if it doesn't really matter. Thanks!

The first picture is of a closed basket and the following two pictures are of an open basket.

Attachments

• no airline.jpg
    no airline.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 491
  • airline 2.JPG
    airline 2.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 523
  • open basket brian gavin.jpg
    open basket brian gavin.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
I see what you mean. I personally love the 2nd setting. I wouldn't worry too much about cleanliness. Jewelry will need some cleaning at some point regardless of setting. I think it's what you prefer visually.

Thanks so much!!! I love the 2nd setting as well and will be going with that type of design. I am hoping to have the ring by the end of the month/early October and will post pictures!!!!