Chevre for Sellier or Retourne?

HerLuv

Jun 27, 2014
Dear experienced TPF members, may I have your opinion if chevre is better for a sellier kelly or a retourne Kelly. I love the look of a sellier but my SA said chevre wont look good in a sellier coz it tends to bulge a bit on the sides near the bottom. It wont look straight as a sellier would normally look. Is that true? From pictures I've seen so far of selliers, they look neat and straight which I like. Anybody has one (or more :biggrin:) chevre sellier or retourne to show here?

Another question I have is about Kelly pochette. Is it harder to get than b and k?

Mods, sorry if there was an existing thread that I overlooked. Kindly guide me to it. TIA..

I agree with your SA that chèvre is a little unstable for sellier, because of their shrink-like texture. My opinion says that it would look best in box leather or epsom (which I am not a fan of....difficult to refurbish esp the corners). The silhouette of sellier is best portrayed with smooth leather.
As for KP, as much expected, I would say it depends on a luck.....I see more of Kelly Cut than KP I don't know why. It would also affect the discovery on a relationship you have with your SA. Let her/him know your wish list.
Good luck and I am excited for your sellier project.

Thanks Honhon... may I know what you meant by shrink-like texture? I agree with you on smooth leather for a sellier but I am concerned about scratches. I guess i could do chevre retourne 28 and try to get a kp which is a tiny sellier? I need a clutch anyway. I thought i should get egee due to the less exp price but a kp would be better. I just love sellier. Thanks for the good luck wish. I really need it.

http://www.featherfactor.com/2013/08/the-hermes-kelly-bag-sizes-and-general-tips.html
have you checked out this site? its one of our fellow tPF member. You can see how chèvre leather would look like in retourne. I would also be more concerned with the corners with sellier, than having scratches on the body. The scratches are inevitable, and you can not not enjoy such an expensive and well made bag with a worry. The corner wears are so inevitable, although I would like to choose a leather that can be refurbished on a long run. Sellier is a beautiful Kelly bag! To me, Egee had too much metal. In that sense I love KP better but for a clutch, I tend to choose out of H. I shouldn't mention that in an H page!

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the reference honhon. Do you think box will refurbish better than chevre? I plan to get a 28 so hopefully corner wears are not too much of a problem. I found these attached pictures. The first and last show straight chevre sellier which I like but the two middle ones show more relaxed selliers. Now I am confused.

Attachments

• 1408873651178.jpg
    1408873651178.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 1408873674092.jpg
    1408873674092.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 524
  • 1408873696887.jpg
    1408873696887.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 519
  • 1408873740593.jpg
    1408873740593.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
it can be the same chèvre leather, but the leather really really depends on the animal it comes from. just like togo or clemence, some are more rigid and some are more thin and floppy. so, each sellier will come out different no matter the leather. well, i have to admit i am also falling in love with chèvre sellier idea! it would be lovely, but i can only say to be on the safe side and to be mentally prepared, i wouldn't expect much until i receive it and use it......it could be nice and rigid and straight forward sellier but as time go by and leather will soften up it will more or less guarantee "give" into the straight form of sellier......but with 28cm maybe not too much.....

Thanks honhon... perhaps there is a way to maintain the shape of chevre leather... stuff it and lay it flat? I hope others can share their experiences with this beautiful leather.

Chèvre will soften over time, not as much as togo or clemence but it's not going to stay rod-straight like box or Epsom. So it's going to be a little oxymoron-ish in sellier since it will not stay as regal as the day you received it. I love all my chèvre kellys (all retourne) and save my sellier ones for box and croc. Hope this helps you!

Chèvre will soften over time, not as much as togo or clemence but it's not going to stay rod-straight like box or Epsom. So it's going to be a little oxymoron-ish in sellier since it will not stay as regal as the day you received it. I love all my chèvre kellys (all retourne) and save my sellier ones for box and croc. Hope this helps you!

Sorry to hijack but a quick question on this topic. Is a retourne kelly in chevre possible for a kelly in a larger size like a 35? I know it has to be a SO but I wasnt sure if a larger size Kelly is possible in Chevre. Thanks.

Sorry to hijack but a quick question on this topic. Is a retourne kelly in chevre possible for a kelly in a larger size like a 35? I know it has to be a SO but I wasnt sure if a larger size Kelly is possible in Chevre. Thanks.

My SA told me chèvre doesn't come in anything bigger than 30.

32 is the largest side unless this was changed very recently.

Hi! honhon kindly posted a link to my bag comparison earlier and if you have any questions please let me know.

I will share my own experience which is that my SA recommended a 28 size if I wanted sellier and didn't want slouching issues - she mentioned they would start with a 32. I hope that helps. I love chevre on a Kelly - you will love it!