How much do you tip at a "higher end" salon?

Sep 30, 2008
I am finally going to get a hair cut, and also decided to go for highlights. I made an appointment at a "higher end" salon in my area that has really good reviews. I am going with second level stylists (out of 4 levels) and the color and cut is going to cost about $240 (maybe a little more). I use to always leave a 20% tip for my highlights/color...but that was when I went to the same girl for a long time and it was $120 for highlights/cut/style (this was in another state-a few years ago). Honestly, I feel uncomfortable leaving a $50+ tip, even if they do a great job. What is an acceptable amount to leave as a tip? Would something like $20/$30 be completely offensive?

I agree with 15% at these prices. My hairdresser charges less and I only see her every three months or so, so I tip 20% and I pay cash which I look at as an additional advantage to her.

I agree with 15% at these prices. My hairdresser charges less and I only see her every three months or so, so I tip 20% and I pay cash which I look at as an additional advantage to her.

Thanks, I think 15% sounds good as long as the service is good. I know it really depends on the area and all that, but does $140 ish sound about right for highlights and a cut at a good salon? I have never paid this much, but I just moved to southern California, and it seems things are more pricey here!

Thanks, I think 15% sounds good as long as the service is good. I know it really depends on the area and all that, but does $140 ish sound about right for highlights and a cut at a good salon? I have never paid this much, but I just moved to southern California, and it seems things are more pricey here!
that sounds about right

Thanks for all the replies....I feel a little better about the price ( I figured it was pretty average around here, but wasnt sure). I will definitely leave a good tip as long as it goes as it should:smile: Im pretty excited, I have not gotten my hair done in a LONG time :P

Thanks for all the replies....I feel a little better about the price ( I figured it was pretty average around here, but wasnt sure). I will definitely leave a good tip as long as it goes as it should:smile: Im pretty excited, I have not gotten my hair done in a LONG time :P
enjoy
hope you're happy with your color and cut

I always leave a 20% tip. Today I had my hair done & she did such an amazing job - I would say the best haircut & highlight I have had in years, so I left a bit more. After so many bad cuts, I was thrilled!