how has your attitude towards CHANEL evolved over time?

tinyturtle

O.G.
Dec 5, 2010
90's: minimalism rules. ick! those chanel bags are so gaudy. what's up with those thick chains? CC logos (all logos) are so tacky.

2000's: ooh. i'm really starting to like the quilted pattern. i'm noticing how chanel has influenced so many other brands. ok. the bags are nice, but they're too expensive & i still think they're for decadent old ladies.

2009: how did CHANEL bags become so trendy? even girls in their 20's are carrying them. i really want to give it a try. i have some money saved up...

....and then i win my first CHANEL on ebay for $450, and i fall in love. Chanel is so timeless and elegant.

now: I MUST HAZ ALL THE CHANELS!!! *is an old lady* :biggrin:

I've pretty much had the same attitude about them now as I've always had. I love the classics and really like some of the quirky bags. The main thing that's changed is the price, i.e. now it's, "HOW much is that?? Really?? Why didn't I buy more classics way back when??"

My attitude has definitely changed. I spent years collecting LV and even made comments on TPF that I wasn't crazy about the Flap bags and thought they were overrated. Now I am in LOVE with Chanel and my jumbo flap is one of my all-time favorite bags. Also, after years of losing so much money on LV bags that get discontinued, it's nice to invest in some classic Chanel pieces that I know I can wear for decades to come.

I've had the same attitude over the years - so pretty! I took a break from the brand for many years, and recently came back. I feel the same way as I did when I first started collecting flaps. Gush, drool.

As tutushopper mentioned, my jaw drops now at how much flaps are now. And, for a while I was laughing that I bought both my flaps in 2008 for the cost of 1 flap now. That was short lived - I bought a jumbo recently. :/

My attitude has definitely changed. I spent years collecting LV and even made comments on TPF that I wasn't crazy about the Flap bags and thought they were overrated. Now I am in LOVE with Chanel and my jumbo flap is one of my all-time favorite bags. Also, after years of losing so much money on LV bags that get discontinued, it's nice to invest in some classic Chanel pieces that I know I can wear for decades to come.

+2

I started off with Guess, then moved on to Mimco (Australian brand) then on to LV (hence my "TPF name) and now I adore Chanel.....for all the same reasons above.

90's: minimalism rules. ick! those chanel bags are so gaudy. what's up with those thick chains? CC logos (all logos) are so tacky.

2000's: ooh. i'm really starting to like the quilted pattern. i'm noticing how chanel has influenced so many other brands. ok. the bags are nice, but they're too expensive & i still think they're for decadent old ladies.

2009: how did CHANEL bags become so trendy? even girls in their 20's are carrying them. i really want to give it a try. i have some money saved up...

....and then i win my first CHANEL on ebay for $450, and i fall in love. Chanel is so timeless and elegant.

now: I MUST HAZ ALL THE CHANELS!!! *is an old lady* :biggrin:

Funny you should mention 20 yr olds (and teens) carrying chanel now, a friend just said the same thing to me yesterday.

such a funny (and entertaining question) :smile:
my attitude towards chanel has always been the same, lovely and classic, i would say if anything it might have changed (only a tiny bit) of late, just because at this point (here in nyc) they are so popular right now that, i don't know, it's hard to explain, but it's almost too popular - i love seeing older bags - doesn't even need to be vintage but maybe 5+ years old... i don't know why, they just seem to be more of what i've always loved about chanel. that said, i'm so happy for the tons and tons and tons of new chanel lovers all getting their dream bags, life is short, if you love it - get it in your 20's if you can!! i got my first when i was 25 on a trip to paris, but the prices were not CRAY like they are now - that was around 20 yrs ago.

First thought it was too fancy, expensive, and delicate for me.

Then as I started becoming more involved with handbags and tpf, I decided to get one anyway. Lol.

Just kinda bummed I didn't realize my love for Chanel years earlier lolol. Ohwell.

When I just graduated college, I had actually received a blk lamb SHW m/l as a present and I returned it!!!! I must've been crazy... Now I have to spend 2x the amount to buy it back.. Haha.
But yes before I thought Chanel flaps were older n too mature. now I think they r timeless and versatile. Hardly use my other branded bags anymore.

...I probably wore chanel in a past life! :roflmfao: wanted one and knew of them before I can even remember! Getting my first one made me SO excited. Now not as much.

But still see it as a classic, not fashionable, but a classic, a must have staple.
I only wear Chanel bags. Just because it is reliable just a standard design.
If I want something more trendy for an occasion etc I will go to another brand

I lusted after a Chanel mini for years and my mother was kind enough to buy it for me in the late 90's. Never looked at another for a serious purchase until I became friends with someone who had a great collection of Chanel bags. We spent 2009-2011 each adding to our collection and I suddenly stopped! Still love the bags but decided that Chanel had a place in my life but not exclusively. I guess I discovered that as my style changed and became less corporate I found other lovely handbags that suited my purpose!

i know how you feel about the LV bags that got discontinued. i purchased some styles that were way too trendy and now that they're out of fashion, i can't sell them for nearly as much as i purchased them for. lesson learned. i now only purchase styles that are timeless (to me). recently i purchased an LV speedy and i know that i can wear it forever.

Chanel and Dior has always been my holy grail. When I was a teenager, I thought to myself... a Chanel is for an accomplished woman. So I brought my first bag then my 30's. Well.. I'm not that accomplished, but I had to buy as the prices were off the chain!

However, due to prices/quality, I will not buy new as I 'm a big classic girl. I've gotten a couple of seasonals but not the same. I will purchase a new Chevron lambskin if found.

I always loved the Chanel brand. I had children at a young age, so between private schools for them and college it was impossible for me. Now that I'm 56yrs it's my time to have this beautiful style I've always knew would be for me. My attitude is even better now!