Moral Support on getting over your bag not being and looking "brand new" anymore...

forever.elise

Jan 7, 2014
Hey guys, this post might seem ridiculous to some people, but I need to admit one of my annoying quirks, and would appreciate knowing if anyone else thinks and feels the way I do about getting a new bag- the dreaded day when you feel like your prized possession is no longer looking brand new, and gasp, it's now 6 months old😱!

I can laugh at myself because I sound like a fool, but hear me out...

Six months ago I got the Neo Neverfull MM for Valentine's day, and this was my first LV purchase in ten years! My first bag was purchased in Paris on vacation, and it was time for a new one. When I knew I was getting a new bag, I could pick from several different options, but I always wanted the Neverfull, and so that was the one!

I fully admit to babying my bags, they truly are my favorite material possessions in life, and being that this was my first LV purchase in a decade, I have been extra meticulous with the care of my bag, so when I started to notice cracking on one of the leather side pulls, I was instantly mortified! I could immediately see how stiff the leather was when I first purchased this bag, so I waited for half a year, the bag to soften, and the patina to darken, and after that I felt like it was okay to finally adjust the side straps, but only to see that after one days use, it started to crack and warp. The strange part is, I pulled both sides up to a parallel level, but only one side of leather straps decided to misbehave.

I slept on this issue for about a week before deciding to take my Neverfull into the closest Louis Vuitton boutique to have a quality assessment done; they took pictures of the issue and told me it would take several days to hear back, but they actually contacted me while I was still at the mall and told me that they would not be able to replace the bag, only the leather strap.

It might sound extreme to ask for my bag to be replaced, but it's only six months old and I feel that for such a new bag I shouldn't be having problems so early on, and more so than that, putting a new leather strap on a bag that has darkened and softened so much in six months would look ridiculous, and hideous, for the sole reason that the new leather would be white and the rest of my bag would be much, much darker.

After I told them that I refuse this offer, they informed me all I could do is call customer service and extend my complaint, so I immediately did that. I explained everything just like I have here, and they requested the pictures from the store. After a few days I finally heard back from them yesterday, and the decision was made to not replace my bag, and only the leather strap…

The customer service representative that I spoke to was actually extremely helpful, and very sweet. She really did try to fight for me on this issue, and she even agreed that in her opinion it's unacceptable for the bag to be having this issue after only being six months old. She confided to me that she is also a shopper and feels for me because if in was in my shoes, she would feel the same way and want her bag replaced, too.

I thanked her for being so sweet and gracious with me, and I told her that I would work on trying to get over this issue. She assured me that replacing the strap was always on an offer on the table, and even said that they could work on darkening the leather for me so that when it's replaced, it would be closer to the color of the rest of my bag's leather, though I would have to be without my bag for six weeks...

So now I am working on just getting over this issue, not letting it bother me, enjoying my bag, and hoping that other people in my shoes may have similar issues with their Neverfull, and that it is normal and still looks good… It's silly I can't convince myself of this, and I feel like I need support, but truthfully it really does help considering how new my bag is! I will post pictures to give you a better idea of how bad the problem is and you all can let me know what you think and how you feel on this issue.

Please be gentle, I know that some people will truly think I'm a moron, or that I'm overreacting… Maybe I am, but this bag is special to me and it is still so new, so I would like this nice feeling to last as long as possible; the feeling of getting a brand-new luxury bag and how great you feel carrying it, you don't want the sparkle to ware off. I decided not to have the strap replaced because it seems like it not worth it, and when I keep the straps completely down, the cracking is not as apparent...

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1408297995.862648.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1408298014.231469.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1408298035.513032.jpg

Here is the other side which is in perfect condition:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1408298063.204095.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1408298072.373085.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I feel for you! I have never seen this on the Mono... this had been an ongoing issue on the DE. I am suprised that they wouldn't replace the bag. I have all 3 prints on the NF and when I purchased my DE I talked with my SA about the cracking issue. She said she thinks it happens because of pulling on the straps when trying to go into the bag without taking it off the shoulder. I guess it's possible since many people only see it on one strap but to me that's kind of the point of a tote😄

I'm so sorry about this! It's disappointing that after 6 months of babying a purse that there is such cracking in the leather...:sad: I hope this issue gets resolved. I'm still waiting to hear back about glazing/cracked leather issues on my zcp in pomme that was only lightly used for :heart: months. Hugs!

I bought mine ~2 weeks ago and have the exact same problem. I asked my SA today and she said that it's because of the catch being left midway on the cinching straps. Doesn't make sense but I will let them stay at the bottom end for another 2 weeks and see if it gets worse.

forever.elise, I hear you and I am here to sympathize with you. Let me tell you my story and then I will give a bit of advice based on my personal experience.

I purchased a Neverfull MM in DE in November 2012. I knew going into it that there were cracking issues but I just LOVE the Neverfull in DE. I figured since I really would be using the bag daily I could get over it since you can't ever even tell when it's on someone's shoulder. Well it did happen, the straps cracked. I was calm and ok about it. I knew that the bag still looked good, and for the handles to get a little slouchier was even kind of nice. Then I scuffed the leather trim. Twice. Now I was getting frustrated. I knew that I was to blame, but I was so worried that people would see the scuff and my bag didn't look in perfect condition anymore. Then, and here's the real kicker, the cinching string on the left side (I believe it was left) came undone. Like unglued! Well I really did put it out of my mind for awhile, and I know no one even noticed these annoying defects because I had people comment that my bag was in such good condition even though I knew about the flaws. Well just today I actually took my bag into LV and asked them for a repair. They are giving me both handles and one cinching string for free, and because I like for the leather to all match (just as far as wear and tear) I am paying to get the leather trim replaced and the right cinching string. I'm also a little paranoid that the right cinching string would come unglued also, though who knows if that would happen. I just feel better getting it replaced!

So now my advice. Your patina is quite, quite stunning. I can understand not wanting to repair a part and then have to re-patina just that part and carry it around before that happens. That can be so frustrating. At the same time, the issues you are seeing do look minimal to me in the sense that no one can really even tell unless they compare it to the one next to it (which I only did because the pictures were posted). I think that to some degree we have to be ok knowing our bag has quirks because of use, but once things start getting much worse to a certain degree, or an actual defect, then it's more of a problem. I completely agree that really nothing should be happening to a bag in 6 months unless we're being careless, but the store was at least helpful enough to give the repair for free. So I guess if I'm you I'm choosing between letting it go and knowing that no one can even tell, or taking the SA up on her offer to help patina the strap more and taking the free repair. The bag is only 6 months so I also do think you'll be able to patina that new cinching string in no time! At the end of the day, vachetta is really a beautiful raw leather, and I really do think there is beauty to be seen in all different stages of wear and tear on it.

forever.elise, I hear you and I am here to sympathize with you. Let me tell you my story and then I will give a bit of advice based on my personal experience.

I purchased a Neverfull MM in DE in November 2012. I knew going into it that there were cracking issues but I just LOVE the Neverfull in DE. I figured since I really would be using the bag daily I could get over it since you can't ever even tell when it's on someone's shoulder. Well it did happen, the straps cracked. I was calm and ok about it. I knew that the bag still looked good, and for the handles to get a little slouchier was even kind of nice. Then I scuffed the leather trim. Twice. Now I was getting frustrated. I knew that I was to blame, but I was so worried that people would see the scuff and my bag didn't look in perfect condition anymore. Then, and here's the real kicker, the cinching string on the left side (I believe it was left) came undone. Like unglued! Well I really did put it out of my mind for awhile, and I know no one even noticed these annoying defects because I had people comment that my bag was in such good condition even though I knew about the flaws. Well just today I actually took my bag into LV and asked them for a repair. They are giving me both handles and one cinching string for free, and because I like for the leather to all match (just as far as wear and tear) I am paying to get the leather trim replaced and the right cinching string. I'm also a little paranoid that the right cinching string would come unglued also, though who knows if that would happen. I just feel better getting it replaced!

So now my advice. Your patina is quite, quite stunning. I can understand not wanting to repair a part and then have to re-patina just that part and carry it around before that happens. That can be so frustrating. At the same time, the issues you are seeing do look minimal to me in the sense that no one can really even tell unless they compare it to the one next to it (which I only did because the pictures were posted). I think that to some degree we have to be ok knowing our bag has quirks because of use, but once things start getting much worse to a certain degree, or an actual defect, then it's more of a problem. I completely agree that really nothing should be happening to a bag in 6 months unless we're being careless, but the store was at least helpful enough to give the repair for free. So I guess if I'm you I'm choosing between letting it go and knowing that no one can even tell, or taking the SA up on her offer to help patina the strap more and taking the free repair. The bag is only 6 months so I also do think you'll be able to patina that new cinching string in no time! At the end of the day, vachetta is really a beautiful raw leather, and I really do think there is beauty to be seen in all different stages of wear and tear on it.

Thank you so much for your statement and testimony, it really helps put me at ease knowing that this issue does happen to many people with this bag. I guess I would honestly feel better knowing that most people who buy this bag see the same problems, so I don't feel alone especially when they are refusing to replace the bag. If it's happening to most people, I can
accept the minimal cracking and get over it. I definitely have left the straps down, and I do not have any intentions of pulling them back up anytime soon. After reevaluating my bag, I still think it's very beautiful, (how could I not after just six months), so I will keep everything you said in mind. I haven't decided on getting the strap replaced, I don't think I will because I do not want to be without my bag for over a month and a half, but if the issue gets much, much worse then I will have to go that route. Thank you again for your kind words, foresight, and advice :smile:

I bought mine ~2 weeks ago and have the exact same problem. I asked my SA today and she said that it's because of the catch being left midway on the cinching straps. Doesn't make sense but I will let them stay at the bottom end for another 2 weeks and see if it gets worse.

I hear you, but if you plan on pulling them back up in 2 weeks, I wouldn't do it! And if you've only had the bag for 2 weeks, wait at least 6 months! The leather needs to be so soft and dark or else it really will crack! If the cracking doesn't bother you, then go for it! I just thought it was strange that it only happened to one side of my bag, considering I had both straps pulled up for just one day....

sorry this is happening to you! If it gets worse, I'd say just have the strap replaced....the bag looks great otherwise, your patina is great and your heatstamp looks super classy!

Thank you for your advice and kind words, I am certainly keeping an eye on the issue, but trying to just enjoy my bag and not let it bother me too much.

I feel for you! I have never seen this on the Mono... this had been an ongoing issue on the DE. I am suprised that they wouldn't replace the bag. I have all 3 prints on the NF and when I purchased my DE I talked with my SA about the cracking issue. She said she thinks it happens because of pulling on the straps when trying to go into the bag without taking it off the shoulder. I guess it's possible since many people only see it on one strap but to me that's kind of the point of a tote😄

I think you're right, and maybe because you have all 3 bags, your rotation is greater than mine. I just have another Speedy and other designer bags, but when I love a bag it becomes my favorite and I wear it every day! I still absolutely take care of it, baby it, and don't throw the bag around, but I do use it every day. I guess I'm really getting my money's worth, so I will just continue to be careful.

I'm so sorry about this! It's disappointing that after 6 months of babying a purse that there is such cracking in the leather...:sad: I hope this issue gets resolved. I'm still waiting to hear back about glazing/cracked leather issues on my zcp in pomme that was only lightly used for :heart: months. Hugs!

Thank you for the hugs!!! I wish you luck with your issues too. It's definitely disappointing hearing a "no" answer and wondering why other people had a resolution and we did not, but thank God it's not too bad, because it could always be worse!