Repair advice

reginablair

Nov 15, 2012
I value the opinions here, and would like some feedback on whether or not you think I should repair my Neverfull. Just a little background, I bought the bag in November 2012, so I am almost at two years owning it. I knew about the strap cracking issue when I bought it, and it did happen to me, but I honestly don't care. No one can see it, and since it was my everyday bag, I really didn't waste time caring about it.

My issue is that earlier this year I noticed that the glazing had come apart on the cincher cords that hang down. I was perturbed, but put it out of my mind because I had also scuffed the leather trim a few times taking it to the airport and the straps were cracking. So I was just like, the inside is pristine and the canvas is pristine, so I'll just deal with the leather being in less than perfect condition and I can get it repaired eventually. But as time has passed, I am now becoming more and more bothered by it. I now have a preloved Speedy that I rotate in, a canvas Longchamp for travel, and a new briefcase bag as my teacher bag (cheap, from Target so I can throw it around at school). Now that I have these other bags to use on occasions where I had been using my Neverfull, I regret not babying her more. Granted I was always very careful with her, but still I used her every single day! There is obviously going to be some wear and tear.

Now I feel like I want to get all the leather replaced, store her in her dust bag, and only use her when I know I won't need to throw my bag around. (A weekend and non-travel bag, more or less.) I feel like if I want a Neverfull to throw around I'll have to put some money toward a pre-loved mono, but I can't be doing that with my precious DE that I saved money for and agonized over for months before purchasing. I just have visions of owning this bag forever, and I get sad when I see people who have DE Neverfulls that clearly have leather in better condition than mine.

So what do you think? Is it worth it to save up a little bit of cash and get this repair done? Is it worth it to do a repair of ALL leather? Just the glazing on the cincher strings? I'm feeling a little stressed because I had a bad experience at my local LV last time I inquired about a repair on a pre-loved cosmetic pouch, so I really don't want to go in there again and discuss a repair with these people. But I know that I can't get pricing info at 1.866 number (I already called, they wouldn't give it to me over the phone).

Thank you for any and all feedback!

If you plan on keeping your nf then yes, I'd spend the money to get the leather replaced. The sooner you do it the cheaper it will be, if you wait then who knows how much the prices will go up. I can't imagine it would be super expensive, it's worth looking into.

If you plan on keeping your nf then yes, I'd spend the money to get the leather replaced. The sooner you do it the cheaper it will be, if you wait then who knows how much the prices will go up. I can't imagine it would be super expensive, it's worth looking into.

This is what I was leaning towards as well, since I know repair prices increase the same way all other prices increase over time. Thank you for the response.

can you post pictures?

Absolutely! The bag is empty right now, and I just examined it further when I went to take these pictures. It's actually not as bad as I was building it up in my head on the trim, but the cincher strings are BAD!

First up is a picture of the bag itself, you can see there is some sort of wrinkling on the leaf.

unnamed.jpg

Next are some pictures of the two scuffs on the trim (both I think happened at the airport, I've learned my lesson!). There is also a picture of the cracking (which we've all seen many times!).

unnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-4.jpg

This the cincher string on the left-hand side. It doesn't appear to be happening on the right one, but I of course feel paranoid that it will. So I feel like I'd want both replaced!! You can see it's happening on both parts of the cincher, which makes me feel like it will start happening on the other side of the bag.

unnamed-3.jpgunnamed-5.jpg

What happened when you went in to ask about repairs before?

I would definitely want to get all the leather fixed at some point if you want to keep the bag for a long time. I have a pre-loved mono neverfull as my "everyday" bag and I intend to save up at some point and get one in de as my "nice" bag.

The question is: would you rather save up for a pre-loved mono neverfull first and keep using your de for now or would you rather get your current bag repaired and set it aside as a "nice" bag and then use another bag for everyday while you save up for a mono neverfull? I would personally keep using the one you have until you get a mono and then get it fixed but ultimately it's up to you.

What happened when you went in to ask about repairs before?

I would definitely want to get all the leather fixed at some point if you want to keep the bag for a long time. I have a pre-loved mono neverfull as my "everyday" bag and I intend to save up at some point and get one in de as my "nice" bag.

The question is: would you rather save up for a pre-loved mono neverfull first and keep using your de for now or would you rather get your current bag repaired and set it aside as a "nice" bag and then use another bag for everyday while you save up for a mono neverfull? I would personally keep using the one you have until you get a mono and then get it fixed but ultimately it's up to you.

I have a whole thread on it, which can be found here.

I see that we look at the idea of the mono Neverfull and DE Neverfull the same way. You bring up a really interesting idea about when to get the repair vs. when to get the mono!! I think that I am considering waiting until my birthday to get the mono Neverfull. That's how I obtained my Speedy - my husband, mom and dad split it. If I find a really good priced one on the preloved market, maybe I can even get it over the holiday season. I guess I would just feel more comfortable saving up for the repair because it's less expensive, and it seems more reasonable to me to ask my parents if I they can chip in and help for one big expensive gift during the holidays or on my birthday.

I guess I need to carve out some time in my schedule to go inquire about a repair. I know for a fact I won't have the exact same issue this time around, but I'm already turned off from this store and feel like I won't get good CS.

From the pictures, beside the scruffs, the bag doesn't look that bad. For the cincher, I would use crazy glue, very small amount, and glue them together. Use a toothpick to dab the glue in between. That is what they did in the 1st place to attach the pieces leathers together. My SA said is just pieces of leathers glue together and painted the edges. She said the edge where you mention it was cracking is just paint that will eventually comes off. My pochette had the same thing happen where the leather tab that is attached to the zipper and the chain. I put just a little crazy glue in between the splits and now it looks normal, can't even tell it split. You treasure this bag because you saved up for it. I think having the leathers replaced will not feel like the same bag you saved up for. Also I hear from other on Youtub that the leather replacement will cost almost half the price of the bag. I say use it, love it, is been through places and times with you for the past two years. I won't change it if the handle didn't completely snap apart.

I have a whole thread on it, which can be found here.

I see that we look at the idea of the mono Neverfull and DE Neverfull the same way. You bring up a really interesting idea about when to get the repair vs. when to get the mono!! I think that I am considering waiting until my birthday to get the mono Neverfull. That's how I obtained my Speedy - my husband, mom and dad split it. If I find a really good priced one on the preloved market, maybe I can even get it over the holiday season. I guess I would just feel more comfortable saving up for the repair because it's less expensive, and it seems more reasonable to me to ask my parents if I they can chip in and help for one big expensive gift during the holidays or on my birthday.

I guess I need to carve out some time in my schedule to go inquire about a repair. I know for a fact I won't have the exact same issue this time around, but I'm already turned off from this store and feel like I won't get good CS.

Just read your other thread. That's crazy that they refused your repair due to age. Did you ever end up getting the lining fixed? I was literally just at LV last night to get a key holder repaired and while they did replace the metal hardware that holds the hooks they refused to give me pricing to have some of the stitching fixed because they said their repair center "doesn't do repairs on items over 10 years old" the reason they gave me was because "sometimes when they attempt the repair, the piece can be further damaged and they end up doing more harm than good" this sounded like nonsense to me but I let it go for now as it's not a critical repair. I'm wondering if this is some sort of halfway policy some SA's are attempting to implement to force people to buy new bags and accessories because from what I've read the older LV items last way longer than the current ones. I actually have a speedy 30 from the 80's that I was planning to eventually get the leather replaced on rather than get a new one. The canvas is so much thicker than the current speedy bags and it's in mint condition.

Also good idea on having family members split a bag as a gift. Might just have to drop some hints this Christmas about a de neverfull mm :smile:

From the pictures, beside the scruffs, the bag doesn't look that bad. For the cincher, I would use crazy glue, very small amount, and glue them together. Use a toothpick to dab the glue in between. That is what they did in the 1st place to attach the pieces leathers together. My SA said is just pieces of leathers glue together and painted the edges. She said the edge where you mention it was cracking is just paint that will eventually comes off. My pochette had the same thing happen where the leather tab that is attached to the zipper and the chain. I put just a little crazy glue in between the splits and now it looks normal, can't even tell it split. You treasure this bag because you saved up for it. I think having the leathers replaced will not feel like the same bag you saved up for. Also I hear from other on Youtub that the leather replacement will cost almost half the price of the bag. I say use it, love it, is been through places and times with you for the past two years. I won't change it if the handle didn't completely snap apart.

You really are right that the bag really isn't in poor condition at all. One of the scuffs is directly underneath a handle so you can't see it at all, and with the other.. No one is examining my bag that carefully. Which is originally why the cracking straps didn't bother me when I was researching whether to get the mono or DE. No one can even tell, and I obviously want to be able to use my bag. Your advice for glueing the cincher strings together is pretty ingenious. I'm just a bit nervous about it obviously! I am also worried about the cost of the leather replacement, and figured if it's so expensive I will end up only getting some of it repaired, not all of it. I think I may go in and just see what they say, and then consider the Krazy Glue (with toothpick) idea if it comes to be too much!

Just read your other thread. That's crazy that they refused your repair due to age. Did you ever end up getting the lining fixed? I was literally just at LV last night to get a key holder repaired and while they did replace the metal hardware that holds the hooks they refused to give me pricing to have some of the stitching fixed because they said their repair center "doesn't do repairs on items over 10 years old" the reason they gave me was because "sometimes when they attempt the repair, the piece can be further damaged and they end up doing more harm than good" this sounded like nonsense to me but I let it go for now as it's not a critical repair. I'm wondering if this is some sort of halfway policy some SA's are attempting to implement to force people to buy new bags and accessories because from what I've read the older LV items last way longer than the current ones. I actually have a speedy 30 from the 80's that I was planning to eventually get the leather replaced on rather than get a new one. The canvas is so much thicker than the current speedy bags and it's in mint condition.

Also good idea on having family members split a bag as a gift. Might just have to drop some hints this Christmas about a de neverfull mm :smile:

I never ended up getting the lining repaired. I had this whole plan to go to a new store in Detroit when I was visiting my dad, but it just never ended up happening. I just knew that the lining repair would be so much money even if they said they could do it, and I'd rather put that money toward a bag. If my parents are generous enough to spend money on Louis Vuitton for me, I feel it's a waste to put it toward fixing a lining on an old cosmetic pouch. And if I save up the money it'll end up going elsewhere before I can even get the lining fixed! LOL I don't currently use it, but I am planning on using it as a clutch for an upcoming daytime event. My idea is to put a cheap scarf inside to protect my items so that none of the sticky comes off onto my items. Right now that's my best idea because I don't want to take it to a non-LV leather goods store. My other idea is to remove the lining using baby wipes or something, which others suggested to me. If I do that, I feel I can at least use it as a day to day pouch in my bags. But we'll see.... Now I have my heart and sights set on obtaining this monogram Neverfull LOL.

You really are right that the bag really isn't in poor condition at all. One of the scuffs is directly underneath a handle so you can't see it at all, and with the other.. No one is examining my bag that carefully. Which is originally why the cracking straps didn't bother me when I was researching whether to get the mono or DE. No one can even tell, and I obviously want to be able to use my bag. Your advice for glueing the cincher strings together is pretty ingenious. I'm just a bit nervous about it obviously! I am also worried about the cost of the leather replacement, and figured if it's so expensive I will end up only getting some of it repaired, not all of it. I think I may go in and just see what they say, and then consider the Krazy Glue (with toothpick) idea if it comes to be too much!

Keep us updated and let us know how much they quote you on the repairs. For me if I do replace the leather is because the vachetta got way too dark on my NF mono. But now is not even a year yet, still going through the patina process.

Keep us updated and let us know how much they quote you on the repairs. For me if I do replace the leather is because the vachetta got way too dark on my NF mono. But now is not even a year yet, still going through the patina process.

Update: I took the bag into LV today. I am so happy that I did!! The SA was so helpful and kind. I was also determined to walk in with a positive attitude, and I think it really paid off. She examined the bag, asked me about the history, and then did some checking on her computer. She never told me the cracking straps were normal, just that she'd seen that issue before. She told me that she had never seen the cinching strings come undone the way they had on my bag.

So the cost breakdown! She gave me both handles and the cinching string that came undone for free!! And then, because if I'm already sending it away and I'm getting new leather on half the bag, I paid $105 to get the other cinching string replaced, and $70 to get the leather trim replaced. So all in all, new leather on the bag, my total is $175. I am so glad they didn't try to convince me that cracking and wrinkling straps were normal!

And someone else posted in the repair list thread, but if anyone else wants numbers for leather repair on Neverfull:
Handles: $105 each
Cinching strings: $105 each
Leather trim: $70

Update: I took the bag into LV today. I am so happy that I did!! The SA was so helpful and kind. I was also determined to walk in with a positive attitude, and I think it really paid off. She examined the bag, asked me about the history, and then did some checking on her computer. She never told me the cracking straps were normal, just that she'd seen that issue before. She told me that she had never seen the cinching strings come undone the way they had on my bag.

So the cost breakdown! She gave me both handles and the cinching string that came undone for free!! And then, because if I'm already sending it away and I'm getting new leather on half the bag, I paid $105 to get the other cinching string replaced, and $70 to get the leather trim replaced. So all in all, new leather on the bag, my total is $175. I am so glad they didn't try to convince me that cracking and wrinkling straps were normal!

And someone else posted in the repair list thread, but if anyone else wants numbers for leather repair on Neverfull:
That's awesome! $175 for your bag to be perfect again is a great deal. Congrats on your soon to be "like new" bag!

Oh the leather trim is only $70? I want to replace my mono trim since is getting a little dirty from my clothes color transfer.
Do show pictures once you get your bag's leather replaced. Interested to see how the the finish job looks.

That's awesome! $175 for your bag to be perfect again is a great deal. Congrats on your soon to be "like new" bag!

Thank you!! I'm so excited!

Oh the leather trim is only $70? I want to replace my mono trim since is getting a little dirty from my clothes color transfer.

Do show pictures once you get your bag's leather replaced. Interested to see how the the finish job looks.

I hope the finished job makes my Neverfull look like new! And yes I was so happily surprised to hear that the repair price for the leather trim was so reasonable. Most inexpensive "item" at LV! Haha I would definitely go for it now before prices increase.