Tyrant (fx)

Hey everyone, I just watched the last epi and was confused by Jamal's interaction with the DIL. When did she become so strong? Was there something I missed to explain how direct she was with Jamal? Or was she just emboldened by his demeanor?

Hey everyone, I just watched the last epi and was confused by Jamal's interaction with the DIL. When did she become so strong? Was there something I missed to explain how direct she was with Jamal? Or was she just emboldened by his demeanor?
made no sense to me
she was so traumatized by him and now she was inviting him to have sex with her?

made no sense to me
she was so traumatized by him and now she was inviting him to have sex with her?

I'm still confused by her change in behavior. Was wondering if there was a scene I missed where she had been shown to gain some sort of courage to stand up to her FIL.

Oh well.

I don't think her offer of sex was real. It was like standing up to a bully. She threw it back in his face and it scared the crap out of him.

Hmm, okay. Just never saw the character development to explain this attitude, but from how you describe it, kudos to her.

Jamal is pretending to be a better version of himself, but that 'apology' was nothing short of an insult and maybe she also saw it as a weakness on his part? Hence, she took advantage?

Anyway, thanks for chiming in guys. That scene left me confused and when the characters start acting out of character, I get distracted and start to check out.

Thanks again

am I remembering incorrectly or did Basam's wife act like she was very much encouraging him to go back home in the initial episode?

now she says it was all his idea and he dragged the family over there

Truth. She is the only character that I truly dislike.
Yes, I don't care for the actress either
Her being so model-like in body type and the wardrobe is totally unrealistic for a physician. I've worked with doctors and never seen one who looks remotely like her.

but of course this is TV not RL

I missed the pilot, but just watched the 2nd episode. I had higher hopes for this show, but unfortunately was disappointed. Here are just a few of my thoughts... The lead IMO is not a very good actor. His expressions & delivery lack emotions. I don't understand why they have a white actor to play the role. As if there is an abundance of lead roles for Arab actors in Hollywood! The actress who plays his wife isn't very good either. You would think her character would appear less calm given the circumstances! The dialogue is also really basic.
The sexual violence & exploitation of women is over the top. It paints the Middle East in such a poor light. It keeps forcing the idea that America is so civilized while the Middle East is barbaric. Look at the characters they're presenting: the brother who lives in America is "good" & the brother who lives in the Middle East is "bad." Perhaps I was expecting a political drama or something, but the show overall feels very soap opera-ish. I am interested to see where it goes but I'm hoping it improves... so for now, it's still on my dvr. (But my dh said he's completely out!)

:tup: Wish this had been done in more of an authentic manner. I mean, it's awful. You can see right through the acting and there is some serious lack of imagination as far as other cultures go. Wow. I usually love FX shows.

I figured it out when they were on the boat. The things Jamal was saying were not just polite conversation.
I find that actor who plays Jamal creepy
I know a lot of people are very unhappy of the casting of the lead with an Anglo and the Jamal actor is middle eastern and also the character is not supposed to be real attractive but still......creepy