A couple questions about the basic boy bag... need help

Sep 11, 2008
I'm a guy and have been thinking about getting the boy bag for quite some time. I just have a few questions and I have tried to look for answers in the search but haven't been able to find definite answers. I thought I would group all my questions in one post. If this is unacceptable, please let me know mods.

1) Are the straps the same length on the medium and the large size?
2) I saw the medium size was just changed.. is it bigger or smaller?
3) It looks like the boy bag comes in lambskin AND caviar leather.. is one rarer than the other?
4) Does the boy bag come in all types of HW? Ruthenium, silver and gold?

If any of you ladies/gentlemen can help that would be great :flowers:.

Last edited:
I'm a guy and have been thinking about getting the boy bag for quite some time. I just have a few questions and I have tried to look for answers in the search but haven't been able to find definite answers. I thought I would group all my questions in one post. If this is unacceptable, please let me know mods.

3) It looks like the boy bag comes in lambskin AND caviar leather.. is one rarer than the other?

I am not sure if I am much help. I just bought the old medium in black leather.

For your first question I think the large straps are a bit longer not sure.
For your second question there are 2 medium sizes. The old medium and new medium.
Old medium is the original medium and the new medium is a bit boxer and slightly bigger.
For the 3rd question, the boy bag comes in calfskin, lambskin, caviar and exotic skins but it varies by season. So not all leathers are available all the time. Heck I cant even tell if my bag is lambskin or calfskin right now. For your 4th question, the hardware also varies by season but I have seen them in silver, ruthenium, age gold and their was a gunmetal before but not sure exactly.

Any of the ladies can correct me or add to this.

I am not sure if I am much help. I just bought the old medium in black leather.

For your first question I think the large straps are a bit longer not sure.
For your second question there are 2 medium sizes. The old medium and new medium.
Old medium is the original medium and the new medium is a bit boxer and slightly bigger.
For the 3rd question, the boy bag comes in calfskin, lambskin, caviar and exotic skins but it varies by season. So not all leathers are available all the time. Heck I cant even tell if my bag is lambskin or calfskin right now. For your 4th question, the hardware also varies by season but I have seen them in silver, ruthenium, age gold and their was a gunmetal before but not sure exactly.

Any of the ladies can correct me or add to this.

Thank you! That helps a lot. It seems to me they change up the le boy SO MUCH and because of that it's hard to keep track. I am leaning towards caviar leather on the boy but I don't see it around that much. Enjoy your new bag though, seems to me the le boy is going to become a Chanel staple for years to come...

I can answer few Questions.:smile:
1. This one I/m not so sure.
2. It's bigger and more practical. Luv it. Nice change in my opinion.
3. I think depending on the season. Some season also has patent and calf leather. Most people look for calf and caviar since they are more durable, But honestly, to me, lamb is not a problem. Only thing I worry is the light patent leather because once it's dirty it cannot be fixed. And ... The shape of the bag, I always check they structure of the bag when I buy. I don't want the one that will collapse in long term. You cannot fall unless you see the beg and touch it. Need to go into the shop and see.
4. Definitely yes. But each season is different. I mean like this season the calf chevron comes with distress RHW. But the past season I think they have the lamb with shiny RHW(or shiny dark SHW), not sure what of they call.

Hope this helps you.:smile::biggrin:;)

I can answer few Questions.:smile:
1. This one I/m not so sure.
2. It's bigger and more practical. Luv it. Nice change in my opinion.
3. I think depending on the season. Some season also has patent and calf leather. Most people look for calf and caviar since they are more durable, But honestly, to me, lamb is not a problem. Only thing I worry is the light patent leather because once it's dirty it cannot be fixed. And ... The shape of the bag, I always check they structure of the bag when I buy. I don't want the one that will collapse in long term. You cannot fall unless you see the beg and touch it. Need to go into the shop and see.
4. Definitely yes. But each season is different. I mean like this season the calf chevron comes with distress RHW. But the past season I think they have the lamb with shiny RHW(or shiny dark SHW), not sure what of they call.

Hope this helps you.:smile::biggrin:;)

Definitely a big help dear! :smile: so because the medium is now bigger it might work for me if I find the large too big? I'm only 5'4. I guess I will have to get around to the boutique one of these days and try both on. I am leaning towards caviar with RHW. So many different styles... thank god I know a SA who can help me track bags down...