Help! Battle of the listing empty designer boxes with ebay!

**shoelover**

Over the Rainbow
O.G.
Aug 19, 2008
I have a ton of designer boxes which I no longer require. I haven't the heart to chuck them out so here's me thinking I will sell them.

I've listed them twice on ebay now with various heading using the word 'empty' but bay keep taking down my listings. According to them in violation of the trademark.

Anyone know how I can sell them on bay without them pulling my listings down?

I have a ton of designer boxes which I no longer require. I haven't the heart to chuck them out so here's me thinking I will sell them.

I've listed them twice on ebay now with various heading using the word 'empty' but bay keep taking down my listings. According to them in violation of the trademark.

You can't. It's a breach of policy.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-accessories.html

You can't. This is to prevent from people buying them and put counterfeit items in them.

Right. So they get listed on another site and perhaps get used as props to bolster phony merchandise.
... Plenty of people buy them to store their shoes. Whenever you buy designer shoes on sale, the boxes get marked excessively, if they even come with them at all. Below is a picture of a box that came with shoes I bought from Neiman marcus during sale time. I bought a replacement, because I like to keep shoes that I spend a thousand dollars for in a clean box, which I keep displayed with my shoes in my closet. This is not uncommon. I would venture to say that many more people are buying individual boxes to store their shoes than buying them one at a time for $30 a piece to put fakes in. If the boxes didn't have value to customers, than why not throw shoes in a plastic bag and save some money? And why would eBay bother to make a distinction between "new with box" in listings and "new without box" if they don't matter.

So maybe next time, before posting a rude response to my post intending to help the OP (unlike yours), maybe you should put more thought into the situation.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 1,851
... Plenty of people buy them to store their shoes. Whenever you buy designer shoes on sale, the boxes get marked excessively, if they even come with them at all. Below is a picture of a box that came with shoes I bought from Neiman marcus during sale time. I bought a replacement, because I like to keep shoes that I spend a thousand dollars for in a clean box, which I keep displayed with my shoes in my closet. This is not uncommon. I would venture to say that many more people are buying individual boxes to store their shoes than buying them one at a time for $30 a piece to put fakes in. If the boxes didn't have value to customers, than why not throw shoes in a plastic bag and save some money? And why would eBay bother to make a distinction between "new with box" in listings and "new without box" if they don't matter.

I understand why you purchase the boxes (and that's a perfectly acceptable reason to have), but I would guess that the vast majority of people who purchase items such as empty boxes and dustbags are indeed using them as "evidence" that a counterfeit bag is authentic. Especially people on sites like Poshmark and Craigslist, which are both full of scammers. For some reason, unsuspecting buyers seem to think things like boxes, dustbags, and receipts mean that an item is authentic, so scammers frequently scoop up those type of things in order to make their counterfeits appear authentic.

And for what it's worth, I think it is against Poshmark's rules to sell empty boxes and dustbags and such. Not that Poshmark would ever take them down, but I do think it is against their rules as well.

I have had plenty of customers reach out to me for extra dust bags/boxes to store their shoes. I once had a buyer open a case because the box that came with their shoes had glue residue on it from removing the price tag, it was that important to them. They do have extreme value to many customers, not just scammers. There's even a thread in the CL forum for a shoe box and dustbag exchange. Not to mention people pay hundreds just for a Chanel box and dust bag for their own bags, I see it often. I think if the OP wants to sell some of their designer boxes, then they have the right to do so where they can. They can vet buyers to the best of their ability, and limit one per person. This is my opinion.

I have thrown away many boxes and bags and had no idea they had any resale value. If you wanted to buy a box to store shoes, why not get one at the Container Store or something? I don't get why anyone want to pay for a used cardboard box.

I sometimes buy designer dustbags to match my bags on Bonanza. You could try listing them there.

I mean, I guess people could buy them to put their fake shoes in but the shoes are still counterfeit. Trying to determine authenticity entirely by the dustbag/box/case/accessory/whatever for authenticity is a fool's errand, anyway.

There are people who like to keep their shoes in their original boxes & will post a

snapshot of the shoe inside & keep on the outside of the box

For many there is value.. Its strictly individual & not everyone has a hidden agenda

with boxes but there are people who will exploit the box to their own purpose.

And some of these boxes are so pretty they can be used for other things

besides shoes...

Right. So they get listed on another site and perhaps get used as props to bolster phony merchandise.

Very true. And there are probably people who use them for totally legitimate reasons. I throw out most of my boxes as they take up far too much space, so I don't understand wanting more cardboard boxes than I already have. But it does seem that scammers are the most likely to be interested in used designer shoe boxes, etc.

Last edited:
And for what it's worth, I think it is against Poshmark's rules to sell empty boxes and dustbags and such. Not that Poshmark would ever take them down, but I do think it is against their rules as well.
That's laughable! Poshmark is so laden with fakes that it's like another iOffer! And they don't allow empty boxes?!?!?

That's laughable! Poshmark is so laden with fakes that it's like another iOffer! And they don't allow empty boxes?!?!?

Oh believe me, I totally agree with you. I report, report, REPORT fakes to Poshmark and they don't take them down. That's why I pulled all 400+ listings I had on Poshmark because I do not want to be associated with a site that allows rampant fakes. All I was pointing out was that, technically, Poshmark does not allow empty boxes and such to be sold. Not that they aren't sold on a regular basis! I just meant that even Poshmark technically frowns upon the practice, even if they, in reality, do not. :smile:

So maybe next time, before posting a rude response to my post intending to help the OP (unlike yours), maybe you should put more thought into the situation.

Just because my opinion doesn't jibe with yours does not per se make it rude or unhelpful.
Just because I was able to distill my post into a single sentence doesn't mean that I didn't give it what you would consider to be the proper amount of thought.