Should I Start Buying New Clothes?

Lenfer

c'est les autres
Apr 22, 2014
Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

I joined the forum some months ago but have been in and out of hospital for months with illness.

I had lost a lot of weight, roughly 40 lbs or 18 kgs and I am trying my best to put weight back on. I am lucky I had a good figure but despite my best efforts I have been unable to get back to my old size.

I have been given special food and milkshakes from my Doctor that are jam packed with calories. I have ate my weight in chocolate several times over and my weight remains steady.

It's not all bad I have no tummy fat. The problem is none of my old clothes fit me and have been moved to the one of the guest bedrooms.

I don't know what to do? It's been months and I honestly can't go out as I have nothing but night clothes that fit me so I need something. Do I go all out and buy a full wardrobe or just a few outfits and keep trying to gain weight?

Thank you so much for your time.

Best Wishes,

L'emfer

I definitely wouldn't buy a full wardrobe yet; try and get a handful of pieces that can be worn in various combinations for multiple outfits. Maybe others can come up with a book or blog to show you what to buy. If after X number of months (only you can tell what that should be) if you haven't gained more weight then maybe slowly start adding more to your wardrobe. JMO Best wishes for you to be feeling better.

I definitely wouldn't buy a full wardrobe yet; try and get a handful of pieces that can be worn in various combinations for multiple outfits. Maybe others can come up with a book or blog to show you what to buy. If after X number of months (only you can tell what that should be) if you haven't gained more weight then maybe slowly start adding more to your wardrobe. JMO Best wishes for you to be feeling better.

I will wait and see what if anything others say but your advice is solid. Thank you very much for your input and for your kind wishes. I first went into hospital in April it's now August so it has been awhile.

My birthday is also this month I forgot about that. I'd be going shopping anyway or I normally would I don't know if I should cancel it this year.

Thanks again! Best wishes. :smile:

L'enfer

I agree with Chessmont. Since it is a struggle to put on weight, you should get a few pieces which will serve for now and then depending on how things work out, decide on what to do.

New clothes also help perk you up and I think you need that feel good factor now. So sorry to hear you've been down. I wish you full recovery and all the best.

Hello and we're hoping you are on the road to recovery. Any time I have been in transition with clothing sizes, I have bought some essentials at Target or other affordable stores that would get me thru a bit. They usually have some fashionable options. Maybe some new leggings, and tops in knit that will still fit when you put on some weight.

As someone else said, new clothes will lift your spirit. What about some new flats and a new handbag? Those will always fit.

Thank you both for your time it is much appreciated. Due to the nature of the site and my avatar it;s natural to assume I'm a woman but I'm actually male. Not that that makes your advice invalid.

In fact I did consider buying some new shoes and a new bag but felt my clothing needs took priority.

I'm not familiar with Target; I live in Europe. I don't know what the French/British equivalent would be perhaps someone could help me out? :smile:

Best Wishes,

L

Having been in your shoes before I advise to not go too crazy buying a whole new wardrobe. Obviously you need a few essentials in your current size so you can feel comfortable in the outside world. I had severe appendicitis in 2011 that had me go from 130lbs-100lbs. Slowly but surely I creeped up to 115 and was there for about 2 years due to my illness. It takes time for your body to recover but eventually it should. Now that I have, I have a whole lotta clothes that don't fit that I spent a lot of $$ on. Looking back it was so wasteful.

Thank you both for your time it is much appreciated. Due to the nature of the site and my avatar it;s natural to assume I'm a woman but I'm actually male. Not that that makes your advice invalid.

In fact I did consider buying some new shoes and a new bag but felt my clothing needs took priority.

I'm not familiar with Target; I live in Europe. I don't know what the French/British equivalent would be perhaps someone could help me out? :smile:

Best Wishes,

L

I agree that you should buy some clothes that will fit, but not a complete wardrobe. I think the equivalent to Target here is Primark, but I wouldn't buy there (I think the quality and fit is really bad). I'd buy some sweaters/t-shirts at COS since they're pretty basic, good quality and loose fitted most of the times, so you'll be able to wear it for some time. I also assumed you'd be a woman and I'd tell you to buy stretch cotton pencil skirts and loose maxis but for a man I wouldn't know! Maybe just one pair of skinny jogging pants and some chinos or trousers (usually they can be tailored up to 5 cm bigger, so if you'd gain some weight you might still fit those). I hope your health gets better soon.

Hope your health improves quickly. I was there about 30 years ago and built a tiny tiny capsule wardrobe of thick cotton knits, nothing clingy and all with stretch then topped it with a splurge on a Roots suede jacket that is still in circulation today among the nieces.

Buy a very few basics in colours you absolutely love they don't need to be bright just good colours for you. Stay away from tailored clothes for now. It's summer so floaty shirts, legging type pants w/ elastic waists, long or short floaty tunics whatever you see that you love and works. If you can wear belts great, keep them loose too. Then go through your existing wardrobe and see if you have jackets and accessories that will work with your new clothes. Some nice scarves or shawls are great items you will always use and I'm guessing you might need a lightweight purse, something like that will always be useful.
Can you wear your existing shoes? If not look for a pair of the new trendy synthetic cushioned soles. Trainers and Birkenstock are the hight of fashion right now.

Let us know how you get on.

Happy birthday! Go shopping absolutely! This is an occasion that positively calls for it. Go have some fun and think outside the your normal gear. Would love to hear what you find.

I will wait and see what if anything others say but your advice is solid. Thank you very much for your input and for your kind wishes. I first went into hospital in April it's now August so it has been awhile.

My birthday is also this month I forgot about that. I'd be going shopping anyway or I normally would I don't know if I should cancel it this year.

Thanks again! Best wishes. :smile:

L'enfer

What kind of weight loss did you experience? Fat and/or muscles?
And are you sure that your former weight is even attainable as a goal?
What kind of clothing does your wardrobe mainly consist of?

If you're wearing casual clothing for the most part just buy some loose-fitting clothes that you'll feel comfortable in. Trousers that are a little bit on the loose side can still be worn with belts. That way they will still be wearable if you manage to gain some weight.
With regards to business attire you have to bite the bullet and get fitted suits and shirts.

I wish you the best for your recovery. :flowers:

Don't buy a whole new wardrobe yet, get only some clothes that you know you will wear.
I buy at Zara when I don't want to pay astronomic prices but still get nice things, they also have nice things for men. Aldo give a look at yoox, they still have discounts going on!

best wishes for a full recovery btw

First of all, congratulations on being out of the hospital! If you are thinking about going shopping, it Must be a good sign, so go and do it. Get some basics like Jeans, sweaters, t-Shirts, whatever you usually need for your lifestyle, but definitely get one or two very colorful, expensive, gourgeous things you usually don't treat yourself to. Make yourself look pretty and enjoy being out and about. Then go get dressed in your pretty new clothes, and have your loved ones take you out for dinner and a glass of champagne. All the best to you!:hugs:

Thank you all very much for your replies it has been most helpful and has stopped me running out and buying lots of things to make myself feel better. With hindsight that would have probably not have been a wise move on my part.

What kind of weight loss did you experience? Fat and/or muscles?
And are you sure that your former weight is even attainable as a goal?
What kind of clothing does your wardrobe mainly consist of?

If you're wearing casual clothing for the most part just buy some loose-fitting clothes that you'll feel comfortable in. Trousers that are a little bit on the loose side can still be worn with belts. That way they will still be wearable if you manage to gain some weight.
With regards to business attire you have to bite the bullet and get fitted suits and shirts.

I wish you the best for your recovery. :flowers:

A very good question C. J. I did not think of this myself and to be honest I don't now exactly. I lost roughly 40 lbs and have managed to put some of that back on. I'm currently 120 -125 lbs my scales aren't the best.

I would say I've lost mainly fat; I don't want to give the impression I'm some big muscular guy I'm not. I'm quite slender I suppose but you can see my abdominal muscles now so I must have lost a fair bit of fat from my abdomen area and other places.

As for my wardrobe I guess I wear what one would consider more formal or old fashioned attire a great deal of the time. Although I do wear sweaters etc and on occasion suits I normally wear a shirt, a scarf or tie, trousers perhaps a waistcoat or jacket that sort of thing.

I don't own running shoes or sports pants come to think of it I don't even own shorts.

I have a good job and good income have done for many years so I have never shopped at "more affordable" places. At least not since I was a child when my family had no money. I know that must make me sound like a horrible stuck up snob but I'm clueless about shopping really unless it's somewhere I've been before with someone else. I have terrible anxiety problems linked to my illness. I haven't heard of the stores mentioned but I'll look them up on Google see if they are near by and have a look, see what they have. :smile:

Hopefully knowing what I wear perhaps some of you can come back and advise me some more on what to do it would be greatly appreciated. My friends all tell me I should just buy new clothes but they are shopaholics... :P

Thank you all for your time and for the kind wishes it means a lot to me it really does. :smile:

Best Wishes,

L'enfer

^that doesn't make you a snob!! Not in the least :smile: I understand about anxiety while shopping - esp a new store/location - have you tried online? An online store with easy return policies (like yoox.com) could be a good bet until you find a few key new pieces...you can try them on in the comfort if your home. Yoox also has fabulous labels that are discounted (which is always great when wardrobe building- spend less for more & great quality too!)