Refund for a toxic smelling bag?

Lurvebags

Jul 3, 2014
Hi everyone

I recently bought a bag from eBay. I received the bag today and it reeks! It smells of 'toxic chemicals', the smell is sooo strong. I can't use this bag as it gives me a headache.

My question is, can I request a refund because of this? Will my argument stand with PayPal if the buyer says no to a refund?

Hi everyone

I recently bought a bag from eBay. I received the bag today and it reeks! It smells of 'toxic chemicals', the smell is sooo strong. I can't use this bag as it gives me a headache.

My question is, can I request a refund because of this? Will my argument stand with PayPal if the buyer says no to a refund?

I recently went through a similar situation. It was most unpleasant &
I gave the seller every opportunity to resolve this amicably.

I was told to let the bag "air out", put charcoal filter inside, put a
dryer sheet the lists goes on.

I finally opened a SNAD against the seller & paypal was very sensitive
to this & agreed I shouldn't have to do any of the above.

Finally after going back & forth several times, the seller finally agreed to
compensate me for a cleaning of the inside of the bag. It was done with
great success & it worked out .Of course I provided a receipt to the
seller so she could see the service done & the company I used said the
smell could be removed (mine was a smell from improper storage) which
does go away.

While smell is very subjective & am not doubting the smell that you are
sensitive to, can the interior of the bag be cleaned & would that be worth
it to you to do so? Also, if you woud consider the cleaning & the smell
still remains, the seller probably would not take the bag back because it
is not in its original condition. So you have some thinking to do...

Is the seller not being cooperative? Does she take returns?

Hi everyone

When you say, "toxic chemicals", what kind of smell do you mean? Is the bag new? Some materials do have a smell when they're new. Or do you mean it's something like a perfume or gasoline smell?

I recently went through a similar situation. It was most unpleasant &
I gave the seller every opportunity to resolve this amicably.

dryer sheet the lists goes on.

Finally after going back & forth several times, the seller finally agreed to
compensate me for a cleaning of the inside of the bag. It was done with
great success & it worked out .Of course I provided a receipt to the
seller so she could see the service done & the company I used said the
smell could be removed (mine was a smell from improper storage) which
does go away.

While smell is very subjective & am not doubting the smell that you are
sensitive to, can the interior of the bag be cleaned & would that be worth
it to you to do so? Also, if you woud consider the cleaning & the smell
still remains, the seller probably would not take the bag back because it
is not in its original condition. So you have some thinking to do...

Is the seller not being cooperative? Does she take returns?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely try to air it out for a few days.

The seller hasn't replied yet and no she doesn't accept refunds. Like I mentioned above though, I hope this is a special case. Crossing fingers and toes.

The bag came with tags and sold as new. I'm guessing she probably sold the bag for the same reason.

I seriously want to put it in the washing machine for a bit to see if that works ... eeeekk should I?

When you say, "toxic chemicals", what kind of smell do you mean? Is the bag new? Some materials do have a smell when they're new. Or do you mean it's something like a perfume or gasoline smell?

The smell is hard to describe. By the way it's a brand new leather bag, not PVC or Canvas

I'd probably say it's closer to a gasoline smell.

I'm scared to put my wallet and make up bag in it as I don't want the smell to transfer

I'm guessing it's the dye or chemicals used to treat the bag.

dryer sheet the lists goes on

Agree we shouldn't have to do any of this. I was so excited to use the bag, now I have to wait to see if the smell goes away. I wish I didn't cut the tags straight away. Now I'm probably stuffed.

Problem with this too is it's the whole bag that reeks. Not just the inside or just the outside.

Agree we shouldn't have to do any of this. I was so excited to use the bag, now I have to wait to see if the smell goes away. I wish I didn't cut the tags straight away. Now I'm probably stuffed.

Problem with this too is it's the whole bag that reeks. Not just the inside or just the outside.

The bag is no longer in the condition in which it was received.

The bag is no longer in the condition in which it was received.

This. Unfortunately even with this smell, you won't be able to return the bag (unless the seller allows it - but make sure she knows you've removed the tags).

Many new leather bags have chemical smells from the dyes and/or finishes. They usually air out after use but some have smells that are very persistent. Also check to see if there are any of those dessicant packets inside and take them out if there are. Air the bag out so that it's propped open to let air into the interior.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely try to air it out for a few days.

The seller hasn't replied yet and no she doesn't accept refunds. Like I mentioned above though, I hope this is a special case. Crossing fingers and toes.

The bag came with tags and sold as new. I'm guessing she probably sold the bag for the same reason.

I seriously want to put it in the washing machine for a bit to see if that works ... eeeekk should I?

My suggestion would be not do anything that would "alter" the bag in anyway.

I would not remove the tags & I would not put in the washing machine.
If you do anything to change the bag, the seller will more likely not accept
a return.

I'd air it out, share your thoughts with the seller & ask if she will take the return
as amicably as you can, if not, you will have to open a SNAD & take your best shot

Many new leather bags have chemical smells from the dyes and/or finishes. They usually air out after use but some have smells that are very persistent. Also check to see if there are any of those dessicant packets inside and take them out if there are. Air the bag out so that it's propped open to let air into the interior.

My suggestion would be not do anything that would "alter" the bag in anyway.

I would not remove the tags & I would not put in the washing machine.
If you do anything to change the bag, the seller will more likely not accept
a return.

I'd air it out, share your thoughts with the seller & ask if she will take the return
as amicably as you can, if not, you will have to open a SNAD & take your best shot

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I'm airing it out now, I've also put a bag of baking soda inside.

I've removed the tags so really if the seller says no (or even replies) I'll have to suck it up and put it down to a (hopefully) one off bad purchase.

Aaaahhhh the joys of buying online ... sigh