Help Legacy Lovers! Rory, Duffle, or Turnlock Tote?

I am looking for a large, mostly casual, black bag. I have the twisted leather NS satchel, but it is much too fancy for my daily life. I have purchased and returned the Madison NS tote in black because it was just not what I expected/wanted and was perhaps a little more dressy than what I need also.

I have multiple duffles and know I like this style and the straps are comfortable even when loaded. I do not have a Rory but have read great reviews on here. My concern is if the shorter, rolled handles on this bag fit nicely on your shoulder and if they dig when heavy? I would use it only as a shoulder bag. The turnlock tote is also an option but I have never tried one on and it looks like the straps may be very close together and thin?

If anyone has any of these bags or another great black bag and can provide some advice, I would be grateful!

The handles on Rory are not long enough to fit on my shoulder (I'm 5'8" and athletic build). The long strap is also too short to carry crossbody. I carry it as a satchel or as a shoulder bag with the long strap.

I vote for Rory or Duffle, I had the Turnlock Tote and the straps really hurt my shoulder when the bag was loaded. And I loved the graphite/silver turnlock combo so much. :sad:

I own or have owned all three. I wouldn't consider the regular duffle a large bag, but the large size is bigger. I have two duffles and I love them as everyday comfortable bags.

The Turnlock tote is an awesome bag but I ended up selling mine because the handles weren't quite long enough for me.

Rory is my favorite based on what you're looking for. I always shoulder carry mine by the long strap, with the shorter handles folded down flat. She's big but squishy so she drapes and slouches and doesn't look huge when carried. And the leather on Rory is freaking amazing!

The handles on Rory are not long enough to fit on my shoulder (I'm 5'8" and athletic build). The long strap is also too short to carry crossbody. I carry it as a satchel or as a shoulder bag with the long strap.

Thank you!

I vote for Rory or Duffle, I had the Turnlock Tote and the straps really hurt my shoulder when the bag was loaded. And I loved the graphite/silver turnlock combo so much. :sad:

Oh yes, I have the graphite in the duffle and adore it! Thank you for the info about the straps. That is what I was afraid of.

I own or have owned all three. I wouldn't consider the regular duffle a large bag, but the large size is bigger. I have two duffles and I love them as everyday comfortable bags.

The Turnlock tote is an awesome bag but I ended up selling mine because the handles weren't quite long enough for me.

Rory is my favorite based on what you're looking for. I always shoulder carry mine by the long strap, with the shorter handles folded down flat. She's big but squishy so she drapes and slouches and doesn't look huge when carried. And the leather on Rory is freaking amazing!

Thank you! Yes, I have two large and two regular size duffles. I would definitely be looking for a large in the black. I had purchased a regular size black from FOS but returned it bc it came with a huge scratch down the front. I also seem to manage to fill up my regular size ones rather quickly!

I would look at the new bleecker duffle in black. The leather is amazing! I would double the strap and squish in the top so it is comfortable to carry with the strap doubled (if you don't want to carry crossbody).

This one may not be big enough for you if you need a very large bag. You should try it though, it can be deep with the oval bottom (not too tall, just round). It is not on Coach's web site yet, but I'm sure they could order it, and many department stores have them now.

http://www.zappos.com/coach-bleecker-soft-port-duffle-ar-black

I have the grommet duffle and the dimensions of the oval are 9" x 7", top dimension with zipper closed is 15.5", height with no squish is 13.5", but I squish it down to about 8.5", which actually makes it deeper (around 9" in diameter at the top) so it can hold more big stuff. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I vote for the duffle. I really wanted to like the turnlock tote but the handles are too short. I think the duffle is the most versatile and most comfortable to carry. The bucket bag is also a nice big bag and is comfortable on the shoulder. Plus it has that nice turnlock pocket. The leather on mine is thicker and chewier than on my duffles. The only problem is that it doesn't have a secure top closure. That doesn't bother me because you can train the top to fold in.

I own the Rory and hands down my favourite. It's casual and strap is easy to wear over shoulder. I use to own a duffle but comparing the two, I would pick rory.

I would look at the new bleecker duffle in black. The leather is amazing! I would double the strap and squish in the top so it is comfortable to carry with the strap doubled (if you don't want to carry crossbody).

This one may not be big enough for you if you need a very large bag. You should try it though, it can be deep with the oval bottom (not too tall, just round). It is not on Coach's web site yet, but I'm sure they could order it, and many department stores have them now.

http://www.zappos.com/coach-bleecker-soft-port-duffle-ar-black

I have the grommet duffle and the dimensions of the oval are 9" x 7", top dimension with zipper closed is 15.5", height with no squish is 13.5", but I squish it down to about 8.5", which actually makes it deeper (around 9" in diameter at the top) so it can hold more big stuff. Hope that makes sense.

I vote for the duffle. I really wanted to like the turnlock tote but the handles are too short. I think the duffle is the most versatile and most comfortable to carry. The bucket bag is also a nice big bag and is comfortable on the shoulder. Plus it has that nice turnlock pocket. The leather on mine is thicker and chewier than on my duffles. The only problem is that it doesn't have a secure top closure. That doesn't bother me because you can train the top to fold in.

Thank you all for your input! I love this forum!

I have all 3 in black because I love my Legacy!

I would vote for a large black duffle. Mine is the regular size but I found a large Carnelian duffle on eBay and I love the large because, as you said, my regular size is becoming too small. I think because it's so light that I keep filling it with more stuff......all my regular stuff which includes a large wallet, 2 wristlets plus a bottle of water, my small tablet and hotspot.

Rory would be a close second just because I love and it holds more than a regular duffle but I don't think it's as comfortable as my duffle and I can't wear Rory cross-body.

I love the Turnlock Tote, too, because it's light weight but as others have said, the straps are short and there's no zipper for security.

Bit different opinion. I have had 2 rory's and while I like the size with the strap doubled it still didn't stay on my shoulder very well. I found it hard to get into but that's compared to my bigger bags like Cooper. The duffle I don't really enjoy it's kind of boring and again doesn't stay on mty shoulder and hard to get into. I have 3 legacy totes and I really like them. The straps stay on, nice drop so it almost clears the elbow test...love the turn lock gives it a bit of style and the front pocket is handy. You should be able to pick up a legacy turnlock tote cheaper than rory's for sure and probably less expensive than duffle.
I am in search of a turnlock tote in bright pink but it's hard to find so I recommend that bag over the others. My second choice is rory but I pick the turnlock over rory almost every time.

I have all 3 in black because I love my Legacy!

I would vote for a large black duffle. Mine is the regular size but I found a large Carnelian duffle on eBay and I love the large because, as you said, my regular size is becoming too small. I think because it's so light that I keep filling it with more stuff......all my regular stuff which includes a large wallet, 2 wristlets plus a bottle of water, my small tablet and hotspot.

Rory would be a close second just because I love and it holds more than a regular duffle but I don't think it's as comfortable as my duffle and I can't wear Rory cross-body.

I love the Turnlock Tote, too, because it's light weight but as others have said, the straps are short and there's no zipper for security.

Rory is the best! Carrying black navy colorblock Rory today and LOVE it. Good luck with your choice!

Bit different opinion. I have had 2 rory's and while I like the size with the strap doubled it still didn't stay on my shoulder very well. I found it hard to get into but that's compared to my bigger bags like Cooper. The duffle I don't really enjoy it's kind of boring and again doesn't stay on mty shoulder and hard to get into. I have 3 legacy totes and I really like them. The straps stay on, nice drop so it almost clears the elbow test...love the turn lock gives it a bit of style and the front pocket is handy. You should be able to pick up a legacy turnlock tote cheaper than rory's for sure and probably less expensive than duffle.
I am in search of a turnlock tote in bright pink but it's hard to find so I recommend that bag over the others. My second choice is rory but I pick the turnlock over rory almost every time.

I have all 3 and each one serves it's purpose but for a daily bag, Rory is 1st and duffle is 2nd.

Thank you all so much for weighing in! I like to hear all of the pros and cons from those of you who have and use these bags. It is so helpful since I can't go see these in person and will likely have to hunt one down on eBay.

Since several of you have the turnlock tote, do you find that the straps dig as mentioned above? I am petite and am often left with red marks on my shoulders at the end of the day from bags with thin straps.

While I love my cognac rory, it can get a bit heavy once loaded up so I don't always reach for it. Of the 3, I vote for a duffle bc i just love the ease & casualness of it. But if you want to try a new style bc u have duffles, I'd pick rory. I can fit the rolled handles on my shoulder, but it's more comfortable w/ the long strap on the shoulder.