Bought on Ebay but cannot pay with PP

saira1214

O.G.
May 13, 2007
I used the buy it now option to buy a pair of shoes, but cannot check out through Paypal because the seller has some issue with her account. She sent me an invoice through PP from a different account. I am wondering if I will be protected in the instance of a INR or SNAD if I pay using the invoice versus going through Ebay. I think I will be protected by PP, but what about eBay's new 100% satisfaction guarantee? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I used the buy it now option to buy a pair of shoes, but cannot check out through Paypal because the seller has some issue with her account. She sent me an invoice through PP from a different account. I am wondering if I will be protected in the instance of a INR or SNAD if I pay using the invoice versus going through Ebay. I think I will be protected by PP, but what about eBay's new 100% satisfaction guarantee? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't go through with this. You are correct, you *will* lose your buyer protection from ebay if you go through with the transaction off the ebay site. Second, the seller is essentially defrauding ebay by using the site to attract buyers and then taking the sales off ebay in order to avoid paying ebay the fees she owes them. That's a sleazy practice, imo.

But to answer the second question, I believe you will be protected through PP. I don't know how much these protections differ from ebay's. Others who post regularly on this board are far more knowledgeable than I, so hopefully one of them will respond with more helpful info.

FWIW, it seems to me that if she's okay with scamming ebay, she might be okay with scamming you as well. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The sale was not taken off ebay - it was completed as a BIN. The only way the seller would be defrauding ebay is if she files a mutual. If there is intent for fraud here, I'm not sure what it would be.

I don't know if paying a Paypal invoice that did not come directly through the ebay sale would void ebay buyer protection but you would still have Paypal buyer protection which is essentially the same (i.e. covers you both for INR and SNAD).

I believe it has to be the PP account that's linked with ebay for your to get the ebay buyer protection.
If you pay to another email account, then you won't be protected by ebay.
In paying via Paypal to a different email address, your paypal protection might become void as they can turn around and say that it was not for an Ebay transaction, and they won't want to get involved. Just my 2c. I would say to the seller that i will wait until their account issues are fixed before i paid

The sale was not taken off ebay - it was completed as a BIN. The only way the seller would be defrauding ebay is if she files a mutual. If there is intent for fraud here, I'm not sure what it would be.

I don't know if paying a Paypal invoice that did not come directly through the ebay sale would void ebay buyer protection but you would still have Paypal buyer protection which is essentially the same (i.e. covers you both for INR and SNAD).

If the PP invoice is outside of EBay, would it even be shown as having been paid to them? IOW, would the seller ask for a mutual and/or file UPI in order to get out of the fees?
If I cannot pay through EBay for a purchase on EBay, I am not paying. Too many red flags to me.
Maybe ask EBay?

If the PP invoice is outside of EBay, would it even be shown as having been paid to them? IOW, would the seller ask for a mutual and/or file UPI in order to get out of the fees?
If I cannot pay through EBay for a purchase on EBay, I am not paying. Too many red flags to me.
Maybe ask EBay?

Ebay purchases don't have to be paid for with Paypal. Even cash works :smile:.

I believe it has to be the PP account that's linked with ebay for your to get the ebay buyer protection.
In paying via Paypal to a different email address, your paypal protection might become void as they can turn around and say that it was not for an Ebay transaction, and they won't want to get involved. Just my 2c. I would say to the seller that i will wait until their account issues are fixed before i paid

Paypal can be used as payment for lots of transactions, not just ebay. Paypal is not going to void protection because it was not an ebay transaction.

That's not correct. I've paid for items that other relatives have purchased on their accounts. And in one case, I bought on my account and it was paid for by my son with his own PP account. As long as the payment is for goods and the tracking number is linked to the PP shipping address, there's protection from both ebay and PP.

That's not correct. I've paid for items that other relatives have purchased on their accounts. And in one case, I bought on my account and it was paid for by my son with his own PP account. As long as the payment is for goods and the tracking number is linked to the PP shipping address, there's protection from both ebay and PP.

Does that work for the seller too? So, there would be a link to an EBay transaction?

I know I have used a couple of different PP accounts to pay for something, but was not sure about the reverse.

Does that work for the seller too? So, there would be a link to an EBay transaction?

I know I have used a couple of different PP accounts to pay for something, but was not sure about the reverse.
In the case where my son used his account to purchase something I would pay for, he gave the seller my email, she sent me an invoice and the invoice had the item number that was purchased.

AFAIK, as long as the seller shipped to the address on the paypal payment (mine), she was protected.

There weren't any issues with either non-receipt or SNAD so the need to test protection didn't come up but her details showed "eligible."

In the case where my son used his account to purchase something I would pay for, he gave the seller my email, she sent me an invoice and the invoice had the item number that was purchased.

AFAIK, as long as the seller shipped to the address on the paypal payment (mine), she was protected.

There weren't any issues with either non-receipt or SNAD so the need to test protection didn't come up but her details showed "eligible."

Thank you! The item number certainly would help on the invoice!
I am always learning here. So, the seller's PP doesn't have to be affiliated with the EBay account, then, as long as all of the info is included, right?

Thank you! The item number certainly would help on the invoice!
I am always learning here. So, the seller's PP doesn't have to be affiliated with the EBay account, then, as long as all of the info is included, right?
In the cases I cited, we were the buyers so I don't know what the sellers were seeing with regard to seller protection eligibility. I can only assume they say that they were protected since they didn't balk at accepting the payments and sending the items.

As a seller, I've never had reason (nor do I have more than one PP account) to use a different account to accept payments so I don't know the protection.

However, since it's the seller making the suggestion to use a different account, the buyer should be very specific in the payment notes including the item number. And if it were my purchase, I'd use a c.c. for my own extra protection.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Yes, I am worried that she has issues with her Paypal account and that the invoice is coming from a different account. I am also aware that I will have Paypal protection, but I am just wondering if my eBay protection will be void because she is invoicing me from an account that is not associated with her eBay account. Also, eBay is now offering 100% satisfaction guaranteed and I am wondering if there is any issue with the shoes if it would be more beneficial going through eBay versus Paypal. Maybe I am thinking too deep into this, but it does worry me that her PP account associated with her eBay account cannot accept PP payments. I have asked her why and when her account may be restored to normal and she has not told me.

Last edited: