Coincidence??? I think not!!! Ebay rant

ngalliga

Jun 3, 2009
So I have been on the hunt for a fantastic deal on a pink or cream leather parker for quite some time. I found a poorly listed pink leather parker hobo on the bay and the bidding was at .99 cents with a few hours to go. I quickly placed a max bid on it.

Keep in mind this is a seller showing 0 feedback which i know is risky but at the low price, it was worth the risk for me. Also, there was no reserve on the auction.

So I settle in with my ebay app and got notification of the action ending in 5 minutes and I was still the high bidder.

Then, with seconds to go, my bid was cancelled!!!! So the auction wasn't won by anyone. How can someone do this??? Isn't it your own risk if you put an auction up with no reserve? I thought once you had bids, you had to honor it! I am sooooo upset. Clearly I think this is a case of someone who saw their product going lower than they wanted so they just get to walk away.... UGH
-signed- Still seeking Parker :crybaby::sad:

So I have been on the hunt for a fantastic deal on a pink or cream leather parker for quite some time. I found a poorly listed pink leather parker hobo on the bay and the bidding was at .99 cents with a few hours to go. I quickly placed a max bid on it.

Keep in mind this is a seller showing 0 feedback which i know is risky but at the low price, it was worth the risk for me. Also, there was no reserve on the auction.

So I settle in with my ebay app and got notification of the action ending in 5 minutes and I was still the high bidder.

Then, with seconds to go, my bid was cancelled!!!! So the auction wasn't won by anyone. How can someone do this??? Isn't it your own risk if you put an auction up with no reserve? I thought once you had bids, you had to honor it! I am sooooo upset. Clearly I think this is a case of someone who saw their product going lower than they wanted so they just get to walk away.... UGH
Report them to ebay

Report them for sure. But it also makes me wonder if they would have even shipped the bag out. Sounds fishy.

I did report with the reason that was closest to what happened but none of them were really appropriate to the reason... it almost makes me wonder if this is ok now.

How is this a good faith activity? I just logged into the bid history and the reason the bid was cancelled was "I don't want to sell this item any more".

Oh, I am sure you don't. With seconds to go in the auction at $5, funny how you change your mind.....rrrrrrrrr

I've had that happen too. Or the seller does the famous. "Oh, the item is not available anymore." or "I JUST discovered it was damaged."

Ebay cannot FORCE them to ship, they get away with it. It's the seller version of the non-paying bidder.

I've won auctions and then have the seller cancel the sale because the price was too low. They usually claim the item was lost or damaged. One seller told me her daughter had used it, and when I told her I wanted it anyway, she made another excuse.

I hope you get your Parker. The gelato leather is wonderful.

that seller lost out, because most people that know how to get a deal on ebay wait until the last minute to bid...there may have been 5 people waiting to bid on that beauty......

that seller lost out, because most people that know how to get a deal on ebay wait until the last minute to bid...there may have been 5 people waiting to bid on that beauty......

That is true. Most auctions see all the action in the last 5 minutes. I never list my items as auctions because I am always afraid to take that risk and only do Buy It Now. But I think if I did list a bag and it only sold for .99 cent I would risk the negative feedback rather than part with it at that price. But as I said, this is why I don't do auctions :smile:.

I was in a similar situation recently where I was the one and only bidder with under 30 minutes to go. Suddenly the item showed up in my watched/ended list and the reason given was no longer available. I was spitting bullets. I was always under the impression that once an item had a bid the seller couldn't cancel without the consent of the high bidder.

I reported it also....for all the good that does! Just thinking about it again riles me all up!!!!

This happens sometimes, auctions getting cancelled.
It can be frustrating, but I always try to see the sellers side of it. Maybe they were trying to raise money for something important, food for the family, the water bill so it wouldn't get turned off, etc. Seeing a valuable item, maybe one of the only valuable items the seller has, sell for a fraction of what it's worth could be devastating for them, emotionally and financially.

This happens sometimes, auctions getting cancelled.
It can be frustrating, but I always try to see the sellers side of it. Maybe they were trying to raise money for something important, food for the family, the water bill so it wouldn't get turned off, etc. Seeing a valuable item, maybe one of the only valuable items the seller has, sell for a fraction of what it's worth could be devastating for them, emotionally and financially.

Yes that's a good point. Even some bargains I have gotten with BINs I have asked the sellers why they are selling so low, telling them point blank that the bag is worth more and have heard stories of having to sell everything due to job loss or huge medical bills.

I once mistakenly listed a super ultra rare Rose Sabrina for like $30 instead of $300. It sold in like 5 minutes and the buyer paid. I was not going to part with it for that much money. The buyer was understanding and I worked a more reasonable price with her. I have a BIN listing for sale forever. Ebay advises I list at auction for $6.99 and with the implication that it will go up higher and sell. I would never take that chance. Would rather wait it out

and now this tool bag has re-listed the item at a starting bid of $10. I reported it just out of spite..

I sold a few times on ebay a few years ago and I was under the impression that once there is a bid, it is a binding confirmation of sale.

I also messaged this person and told them I was reporting them for their unethical actions... shame on them!

and now this tool bag has re-listed the item at a starting bid of $10. I reported it just out of spite..

I sold a few times on ebay a few years ago and I was under the impression that once there is a bid, it is a binding confirmation of sale.

I also messaged this person and told them I was reporting them for their unethical actions... shame on them!

Now that part is just wrong. To list it again at a low auction price. She should have learned her lesson. I would have reported her too in that case