Workplace Took a huge risk... Resigned without a job lined up

• Thread starter Deleted member 448829
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 448829

So yesterday I gave my CEO my notice to leave. I did buy myself some time -- I'm not quitting in two weeks; I will stay until sometime in June.

I know the economy's terrible and usually you should wait until you have something else lined up, but the situation at my work has escalated out of control. I basically knew that unlike I go into "lame duck" mode, the next few weeks will be unbearable. Now that they know I'm leaving, I will be able to refuse to do certain things/interact with certain horrible individuals.

I'm not super-worried; I know that I will be able to get another job (I work in a pretty in-demand field). I just want the right opportunity this time.

Things I have learned from my God-awful job:

1) Never accept a position lower what you're looking for, because you'll just resent it later. I'd wanted a director position, but foolishly took on a mid-level position because they promised me it was "basically the same thing" and that they don't work by "title distinctions" at my hospital.

2) Ask questions to see if people will actually follow through with their promises. For example, when I started my job, they told me flat-out that I would lead a department. One of the things I should have asked was seating arrangements... Instead of having my own office or cubicle, I was forced to share an office as the CFO (in a much smaller, shabbier desk like some office secretary)!

Another example is that my boss promised that I would "build up a department." I was not savvy enough at the time to ask about funding/personnel during the interview. Instead of letting me hire any staff at all or even a part-time assistant (as all other managers have), I was forced to work with free interns and volunteers (some of whom were very unreliable in quality).

3) Ask for the job description in writing. At my work, they basically treat me as the help desk person (since I have no staff and all). I was promised that this would not be the case, but it totally was, because I don't have a good title and I DON'T have an office and I don't have additional staff as promised.

4) Document everything. When I complained that the workload was unmanageable, my boss blamed me by saying I was "too good" at my job and I needed to set more clear expectations. When I tried doing just that (by telling an employee that it would take me 2-3 days to finish her report), I got yelled at and was told that I needed to finish it *immediately.*

5) For the love of God, don't agree to a part-time position if you suspect the job is actually full-time. I work 40+ hours a week as a "part-time" employee. Is it legal? Probably not. The workload is actually like 60 hours a week, but I don't document all the hours I work for fear of retaliation.

6) If you get screwed over with promotions, bonuses, and performance reviews, it's not gonna get better. I stuck around thinking I'd "finally get my day," and I never did. I brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars for my work, and though they praise me verbally and with "Yay! GREAT job!" emails, it never translates to anything tangible. Just leave, and leave ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess you did what was right for you. I hope it ends up working out well and that you find a better job soon.

I nearly quit my job last year cuz of the harrassment from my crazy boss. I didn't have the guts to quit cuz I really wanted the income. Luckily for me, my request for a transfer was granted, and I have a much better work environment now. However, I understand that some people can't wait for things to turn around.

Are you a therapist? There are contract positions for experienced people everywhere. (I cry about being unemployed cause although I am a social worker I'm not a therapist.)

I quit my job a year ago without one lined up. I was interviewing for about six months before I landed a much better job that paid about 50% more.

I would never tell someone "yeah, just quit your job!" but from my experience, it is really hard to get out and focus on what you really want to do when you have to be at a job that you hate. Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is quit your job and focus your attention on finding a better fit for you.

I wish I could just quit my job and slowly taking my time to find a job that fits me better.....

I mean how do you guys do it?? Just leave like this...aren't you worried about a lot of 'what if'...tons of bills to pay and etc.??

I have been working for more than a decade non-stop since I stopped studying. I am kinda tired but not working seems like not a possible way to me.

I don't really earn much so a lil savings isn't gonna last a long time. :sad:

Are you a therapist? There are contract positions for experienced people everywhere. (I cry about being unemployed cause although I am a social worker I'm not a therapist.)

She mentioned being confused as the Help Desk, so I'm guessing she isn't a therapist. More like IT area but correct me if I'm wrong, OP.

I wish I could just quit my job and slowly taking my time to find a job that fits me better.....

I mean how do you guys do it?? Just leave like this...aren't you worried about a lot of 'what if'...tons of bills to pay and etc.??

I have been working for more than a decade non-stop since I stopped studying. I am kinda tired but not working seems like not a possible way to me.

I don't really earn much so a lil savings isn't gonna last a long time. :sad:

Meh - I did this almost 15 yrs ago.

Like pr1nc35, I was also harrased by a crazy boss (lol he basically told me that my azz was his... had issues who I congregated with during my lunch break and I spent this 30-1hr with coworkers, etc).

But unlike her, I saw eff it (mentally of course) and quit. I didn't have anything lined up and found something within a month. Then again, I've always been a bit ballsy for a woman.:smile:

I don't have a roommate, nor live at home and have a crap load of bills just like everyone else. At that time of my life, I actually was making less than a quarter of what I made now but I still managed to scrape by. Everyone has their breaking point I guess. I know when enough is enough.

So yesterday I gave my CEO my notice to leave. I did buy myself some time -- I'm not quitting in two weeks; I will stay until sometime in June.

I know the economy's terrible and usually you should wait until you have something else lined up, but the situation at my work has escalated out of control. I basically knew that unlike I go into "lame duck" mode, the next few weeks will be unbearable. Now that they know I'm leaving, I will be able to refuse to do certain things/interact with certain horrible individuals.

I'm not super-worried; I know that I will be able to get another job (I work in a pretty in-demand field). I just want the right opportunity this time.

Things I have learned from my God-awful job:

1) Never accept a position lower what you're looking for, because you'll just resent it later. I'd wanted a director position, but foolishly took on a mid-level position because they promised me it was "basically the same thing" and that they don't work by "title distinctions" at my hospital.

2) Ask questions to see if people will actually follow through with their promises. For example, when I started my job, they told me flat-out that I would lead a department. One of the things I should have asked was seating arrangements... Instead of having my own office or cubicle, I was forced to share an office as the CFO (in a much smaller, shabbier desk like some office secretary)!

Another example is that my boss promised that I would "build up a department." I was not savvy enough at the time to ask about funding/personnel during the interview. Instead of letting me hire any staff at all or even a part-time assistant (as all other managers have), I was forced to work with free interns and volunteers (some of whom were very unreliable in quality).

3) Ask for the job description in writing. At my work, they basically treat me as the help desk person (since I have no staff and all). I was promised that this would not be the case, but it totally was, because I don't have a good title and I DON'T have an office and I don't have additional staff as promised.

4) Document everything. When I complained that the workload was unmanageable, my boss blamed me by saying I was "too good" at my job and I needed to set more clear expectations. When I tried doing just that (by telling an employee that it would take me 2-3 days to finish her report), I got yelled at and was told that I needed to finish it *immediately.*

5) For the love of God, don't agree to a part-time position if you suspect the job is actually full-time. I work 40+ hours a week as a "part-time" employee. Is it legal? Probably not. The workload is actually like 60 hours a week, but I don't document all the hours I work for fear of retaliation.

6) If you get screwed over with promotions, bonuses, and performance reviews, it's not gonna get better. I stuck around thinking I'd "finally get my day," and I never did. I brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars for my work, and though they praise me verbally and with "Yay! GREAT job!" emails, it never translates to anything tangible. Just leave, and leave ASAP.

Here are my answers/comments on your very valid points.

#1 - Never done this aside from my freelance gigs that I didn't necessarily consider a demotion. It was a different skillset that I taught myself.

#2 - My boss is a very good "closer" so during the job interview, I was promised many things that of course haven't manifested... yet. I'm only there a few months so far so I'm patient and hopeful things will pan out accordingly.:smile:

#3 - I work in a startup - LOL we have no formal job description persay. We wear multiple hats.

#4 - See answer to #3. Everything is "tagged" electronically.

#5 - N/A

#6 - Well I have to disagree on this comment. In a prior company I was actually screwed on a bonus due to office politics. I didn't participate, provided the same amount of AMAZING output as the rest of my team, but because there were other internal factions going on, I wasn't officially recognized as part of that team and missed out on a ridiculously healthy bonus at the end of the project. I found out after it was said and done.

Karma does exist. I got my just rewards over and over again the following year and year after.

So you just have to decide for yourself whether to walk or stay. I fully recognize that how I choose to live my life might be percieved as high risky and ridiculously gutsy by others but in the end, it paid off and if given the change, I wouldn't change a single thing.

GL OP. I think you will be fine.:smile:

OP, I don't know if you could've done anything to change your situation. Especially if the people who are above you are unbending and deaf to feedback. Sometimes the only solution is to get out. Good luck on your job search!

OP I have been in similar situations and have left a job with no safety net(well kind of, I assumed a job was mine without a formal offer letter)but its hard and I ended up being out of work for a few months, but years later I look back and leaving was the best thing I could have ever done for my career. It's hard to probably say that now, and only time will tell
Best wishes to you!

I just tendered yesterday without having another job lined up. Had worked in that company for only a month and I can't take it anymore. I was hired as a contract staff with a title of assistant finance manager with verbal promise of conversion to permanent position about 3 months into my role. However, many times I'm being treated worse than a contract staff.

1. They dump all the menial and non regular work to me (such as pulling tons of expenses data for audit queries). And drilling into expenses is so taxing cos they don't even have basic programs like SAP nor Hyperion! I also had to cover a staff from another team while she was in medical leave. Not that I mind that a lot, but why do I end up working late (due to lack of instructions and finding numerous errors in those halfway done rpts) while another staff from that department get to leave on time instead of covering her own team member?

2. My supervisor does not guide me properly for the regulatory rpts that I am supposed to do/review. Initially (for first 2 weeks), she'd just tell me to do those rpts without telling me what they are for and where the source data is from. After that, she "improved" & will go through briefly for 2 min & just tell me to refer to last month/quarter file and let me drown on my own. I find myself wasting so much time flipping through tons of rpts just trying to figure out how a stupid number is being derived. And there's no proper process flow nor any procedural manual. However, she'd coach STEP BY STEP another staff who just joined (an ex staff who rejoined the company). They seat just right in front of me so I can see everything that's gg on.

3. They treat me as invisible. They don't talk to me. Whenever we work overtime, these people do not order in dinner. They'd share some bread or bun amongst themselves, totally ignoring my existence. When we worked on weekends, they'd discuss amongst themselves what food to order, without including me into their discussion.

4. I always see the 2 junior staff in my team staring into space, surfing net or chit chatting amongst themselves during office hours. They purposely drag the time so as to work overtime and even on both sat/sun. Either they are trying to earn overtime pay, or just putting up a "see I'm so hardworking" show to the head of finance. Prob is, when they don't produce the work, I have to work overtime with them. Working till 10pm is normal and there was once I worked till 3am. Weekends is at least 4 hours each time.

5. My sup always give me wrong/insufficient info. Sometimes I think she does it deliberately. For instance, she'd tell me to post some entries with the SAME NARRATIVE. However, I refused to verify the entries cos I doubt it was correct. I had to ask her thrice before she finally acknowledges my existence (I seat just opposite her!) And turns out, my suspicion was right. The narratives were wrong and if I'd posted those entries I'd need to reverse them and repost. Another time, she just told me to zap a stack of 3 rpts. When I gave it to her the next day, she tells me I actually just need to photocopy the first page of each rpt. Why didn't she tell me that earlier?!

I am so mentally and physically drained. I feel that I'm being ostracised somehow for no good reason. I am always confident in delivering my work and rarely have issues with my performance (I've been working for 12 years). My eyes hurt real bad from all the overtime and my gastric had started to act up against me.

I really regret having undertaken this job. I remember they didn't give me opportunity to ask them any question during the one hour long interview. That is already a big red light which I should have paid attention to. Plus the head of finance actually said something like: "We are paying u to learn if we hire u" during the interview. There are bound to be new things to learn in a new workplace. It'd be unfair to say that to me. Now that I look back, he prob said that so as to manipulate me into accepting lower pay (I had a paycut of ~25%).

My advice to all: It's really crucial to find out how a company operates, their culture, the systems they use, and most importantly, their structure. Bcos we dunno how they are like before we step into their world, so we have to really ASK questions to find out more before accepting any position.

I just tendered yesterday without having another job lined up.

I would've done the same in your situation. What a nightmare. It's hard in interviews for both applicant and prospective employer to really suss each other out. The only thing I can think of as a solution is a probationary period where the new employee meets with the boss and have the feedback going both ways.

Last edited:
I would've done the same in your situation. What a nightmare. It's hard in interviews for both applicant and prospective employer to really suss each other out. The only thing I can think of as a solution is a probationary period where the new employee meets with the boss and have the feedback going both ways.

Thank you. It's comforting to know that there are people who understand.

Unfortunately the above solution can't apply in this workplace as it's too toxic an environment and it's often not easy to change the culture of a company.

Thank you. It's comforting to know that there are people who understand.

Unfortunately the above solution can't apply in this workplace as it's too toxic an environment and it's often not easy to change the culture of a company.

Oh your situation didn't sound salvageable. I was thinking in general. I interviewed candidates who seemed great in interviews but they ended up leaving and it wasn't clear why it didn't work out. I also left jobs where there wasn't a system to let me give my employers constructive criticism. The feedback needs to go both ways. But I guess that's a pipe dream.

Oh your situation didn't sound salvageable. I was thinking in general. I interviewed candidates who seemed great in interviews but they ended up leaving and it wasn't clear why it didn't work out. I also left jobs where there wasn't a system to let me give my employers constructive criticism. The feedback needs to go both ways. But I guess that's a pipe dream.

Sometimes bosses do not want to hear negative feedback. I remember my previous workplace whereby the dept head would blow her head off and give us low bonuses if we rated her dept/mgt poorly in the annual employee surveys.

And unfortunately, many bosses do not dare to offend the experienced old birds who do not want to pass on their knowledge and skills for fear of being outshone by newbies.