Help! Major dilemma. Prelove verses New Chanel

Timeless Classic Chic

Moving on to H
O.G.
Jun 21, 2012
Hello All,

I am itching for a new Chanel Caviar Jumbo Flap in SHW. So, here's my dilemma, I have been saving for a while; however, I don't think I will have enough saved for a brand new one before the next price increase. So, I decided to go with a pre-love one. I have been studying and researching the differences in the years and models such as the single flap, double flap and reissue. My problem is I can't tell what's real and what is fake. I know many will suggest to have it authenticated but I am running into a lot of shady sellers. They won't respond to questions of authenticity, they will not provide the full SN#, they will tell you don't ask questions regarding authenticity, the images look like they a piece together from other listings and the list goes on. Oh, when I ask about a refund if the Chanel Boutique refuse spa services a few have become very rude.

Another thing that bothers me is they never seem to have everything that comes with the bag like receipts, boxes, dust bags tags etc..They will have one or two but never everything for a item that suppose to be relatively new or only a few years. I know that's not always a red flag but it just so common on ebay and some of these other sites. Can someone who have purchased their bag pre-love provide some honest tips and advice because I am starting to feel overwhelm by this whole process. I am starting to think I should just remove it from my list. Thank you for taking the time to read and provide assistance.

Hello All,

I am itching for a new Chanel Caviar Jumbo Flap in SHW. So, here's my dilemma, I have been saving for a while; however, I don't think I will have enough saved for a brand new one before the next price increase. So, I decided to go with a pre-love one. I have been studying and researching the differences in the years and models such as the single flap, double flap and reissue. My problem is I can't tell what's real and what is fake. I know many will suggest to have it authenticated but I am running into a lot of shady sellers. They won't respond to questions of authenticity, they will not provide the full SN#, they will tell you don't ask questions regarding authenticity, the images look like they a piece together from other listings and the list goes on. Oh, when I ask about a refund if the Chanel Boutique refuse spa services a few have become very rude.

You may want to buy from a trusted seller like Yoogi's closet, they only sell authentic bags.

Another thing that bothers me is they never seem to have everything that comes with the bag like receipts, boxes, dust bags tags etc..They will have one or two but never everything for a item that suppose to be relatively new or only a few years. I know that's not always a red flag but it just so common on ebay and some of these other sites. Can someone who have purchased their bag pre-love provide some honest tips and advice because I am starting to feel overwhelm by this whole process. I am starting to think I should just remove it from my list. Thank you for taking the time to read and provide assistance.

If those items are very important for you, you need to buy from the store. For example, I don't keep receipts from my purchases for more than 2 or 3 months. I don't like clutter. So if I would want to sell one of my bags, it would be difficult to provide the receipt (unless if it was a recent purchase).

I addressed your comments in blue. Good luck finding your bag!

If it does not feel right and leaves you with a bad feeling in your gut, do not do it! You may not have receipts or even the authenticity card in some cases (I cannot find mine on my first Chanel tote) but I would bend over backwards to amswer questions and make someone feel as comfortable as possible. As I am sure any seller would here. Have you tried sites other than Ebay? I wouldn't trust Ebay these days but that is just me.

Try www.designer-vintage.com or www.vestiarecollective.com.

I have a preowned one but it came smelling like new (leather smell), no scratches, no corners.

Ik wanted a vintage type of bag...
Because i'm a basic kind of girl (wool coats, tshirts, allstars) i fell for a black jersey with the golden chain. They don't produce it anymore... She sold it for € 1880 but i was like hell no! i spoke with her alot and she send me like 20 pics.

Finally i managed to get it for 1400 and when i got the bag i understood why she wanted € 1900 for the bag, the bag was like new.

If your Chanel finds are like new i don't bother buying secondhand but i don't buy secondhand just because its cheap... i want my secondhand like new.. On the other hand i don't bother for the box etc because i don't keep that either.

Even if you buy second hand it is still between 1500-2000€ so you have every right to keep asking till you know enough!

I want a jumbo too...and if i can find a caviar in good condition i will not hesitate to buy..

I mean it saves you money to invest in other great things. Life is not just about bags.

But if you want everyting new then keep on saving!

I addressed your comments in blue. Good luck finding your bag!

Thanks Chanbal for the advice.
I'll definitely check out Yoogiscloset today.

If it does not feel right and leaves you with a bad feeling in your gut, do not do it! You may not have receipts or even the authenticity card in some cases (I cannot find mine on my first Chanel tote) but I would bend over backwards to amswer questions and make someone feel as comfortable as possible. As I am sure any seller would here. Have you tried sites other than Ebay? I wouldn't trust Ebay these days but that is just me.

Jennie you're absolutely correct about the gut feeling and an honest seller would not have a problem answering questions to make a buyer feel comfortable. That's exactly why I've been hesitant about ebay. I'm going to check out the sites the ladies suggested for me.

Try www.designer-vintage.com or www.vestiarecollective.com.
I have a preowned one but it came smelling like new (leather smell), no scratches, no corners.

Ik wanted a vintage type of bag...
Because i'm a basic kind of girl (wool coats, tshirts, allstars) i fell for a black jersey with the golden chain. They don't produce it anymore... She sold it for € 1880 but i was like hell no! i spoke with her alot and she send me like 20 pics.

Finally i managed to get it for 1400 and when i got the bag i understood why she wanted € 1900 for the bag, the bag was like new.

If your Chanel finds are like new i don't bother buying secondhand but i don't buy secondhand just because its cheap... i want my secondhand like new.. On the other hand i don't bother for the box etc because i don't keep that either.

Even if you buy second hand it is still between 1500-2000€ so you have every right to keep asking till you know enough!

I want a jumbo too...and if i can find a caviar in good condition i will not hesitate to buy..

I mean it saves you money to invest in other great things. Life is not just about bags.

But if you want everyting new then keep on saving!

Luxurygoodslove thanks for the sites, I'm going to check them out asap. Also, thank you for the shopping tips. I would have never thought to negotiate the price buying preloved from a consignment shop :smile: Btw, congrats on your awesome purchase and yes, the caviar flap is definitely a must on many of our list..lol
Buying new is my dream but I'm really open to pre-love. I don't want to step out of my comfort zone for a purse no matter how much I want it..I do have a chanel east west chocolate bar and a Cosmo flap perhaps if I'm force to purchase new I can use one of these to help finance it.. dunno

Hi ArtsyLVChick! I was in a similar position as you when I was searching for my flap. I knew I wanted a classic flap (the M/L though, not jumbo) but there was no way I could afford a brand new one. I had so many reservations about buying pre-owned because I'm not a huge online shopper - very much prefer being able to touch and feel items before I buy them, especially when you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars. I'm not sure if you'd be interested but this is the link to my reveal thread -

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/i...s-thoughts-pre-owned-846394.html#post25803900

I posted some information about the different sites I would visit almost daily when trying to find my bag. Hope this helps! Good luck with your search. :smile:

Hello All,

This is an example of why I am so nervous.

Here is a message from a trusted ebay seller with 100% feedback and have several Chanel bags for sale and have sold many.

Me: Thank you kindly for responding. I will use an online authenticator to look at the item before purchasing; however, I like to have the actual item authenticated in person once I receive it. I have purchased a bag before and the item in the pictures was not the item received. That's why I am very cautious. I hope you can understanding my concern. I appreciate that fact that you guarantee authenticity of the bag, can you please share some information about the bag? How many owners, where and when was it purchased? Any discoloration of the leather, the chain etc.?

Her: all the info is listed in the listing and that's all the info we can provide.

for your case, we suggest you to buy from CHANEL directly if you have many concerns regarding a large purchase like this online. we sell used bags and our bags have not new and they all have signs of wear. we don't like to deal with unnecessary returns and you should buy from CHANEL directly and try it on in their stores. also they have 14 days easy return if you are not satisfied. thanks

This is an example of why I am so nervous.

Here is a message from a trusted ebay seller with 100% feedback and have several Chanel bags for sale and have sold many.

Me: Thank you kindly for responding. I will use an online authenticator to look at the item before purchasing; however, I like to have the actual item authenticated in person once I receive it. I have purchased a bag before and the item in the pictures was not the item received. That's why I am very cautious. I hope you can understanding my concern. I appreciate that fact that you guarantee authenticity of the bag, can you please share some information about the bag? How many owners, where and when was it purchased? Any discoloration of the leather, the chain etc.?

Her: all the info is listed in the listing and that's all the info we can provide.

for your case, we suggest you to buy from CHANEL directly if you have many concerns regarding a large purchase like this online. we sell used bags and our bags have not new and they all have signs of wear. we don't like to deal with unnecessary returns and you should buy from CHANEL directly and try it on in their stores. also they have 14 days easy return if you are not satisfied. thanks

Is this a sale on ebay? If you browse this forum a little more, you may find how difficult can be for sellers to sell their high-end items on ebay (or similar sites).

Some of the stories are perfect nightmares; I would be scared if I would have to sell a bag (or any other item) on ebay. So I end up sending my (no longer used) Chanel bags for consignment (at a very small fraction of their original price :cry:smile: or donating them for charity auctions.

IMO, you got an answer from a seller that is concerned that he/she might be dealing with a potential difficult transaction. The seller may also be nervous. :smile:

Is this a sale on ebay? If you browse this forum a little more, you may find how difficult can be for sellers to sell their high-end items on ebay (or similar sites).

Some of the stories are perfect nightmares; I would be scared if I would have to sell a bag (or any other item) on ebay. So I end up sending my (no longer used) Chanel bags for consignment (at a very small fraction of their original price :cry:smile: or donating them for charity auctions.

IMO, you got an answer from a seller that is concerned that he/she might be dealing with a potential difficult transaction. The seller may also be nervous. :smile:

You might be right but it seems that anyone selling several $3k-5k items in their ebay store would be a little more patient and understanding considering their buyers are unable to see, touch and examine the item in person. Not too many people will hand over their hard earn money to a stranger without asking questions of authenticity and background history of the product. If I know my item is 100% Authentic I wouldn't have a problem answering all questions. Her attitude is don't buy if you're concern about authenticity. She wouldn't even provide the full SN# but she instructed me to have it authenticated but wouldn't the authenticator want the full SN#. Smh!

Last edited:
I always say the hunt is the best part of the journey. I have sold several LV and Chanel purses on ebay and I always go out of my way to answer any and all questions, sometimes with pictures. I've been on ebay for 15 years and maintain my perfect feedback. I like to treat potential customers exactly the way I would like to be treated.

Yes, it is some work to buy on ebay, but if you do your homework (buy the seller!), read the feedback and ask lots of questions, you may save a substantial amount of money, as opposed to the boutiques, especially if you live in a tax state or country.

Also online, you can find the rare and hard to find pieces that the Boutiques may not have in stock or have a long waiting list.

I have attempted to sell a couple of pieces on ebay, and I am not a professional seller so i dont have like huge history or feedbacks, but I do answer and provide more photos if they ask me to. Maybe because s/he is a professional seller and sells a lot so s/he doesnt want to waste time with just one item? i have no idea =(
Online consignment shop sounds like the easier route for you!

I've bought pre-owned a couple times on Ebay and although it is scary, you can save a lot of money that way. I would definitely be wary of the sellers who are unwilling to answer questions though, or give vague/evasive answers. If your item is authentic then you've got nothing to hide.

From a sellers point of view, I've sold a couple LV items on Ebay and currently selling one Chanel. I try my best to give a very accurate description of the item and answer questions, give more pictures if requested. It's a lot of money to spend on something, used or new, and I know personally I'd be absolutely heartbroken if my item came and it was fake or not as expected.

I'd say do your research, have it authenticated, but don't rely on that completely. Compare pics of authentic bags with it as much as you can. And make sure you're satisfied with the seller's responses and confident of authenticity before you buy. It's just the trade-off you have to make for saving the money vs. buying new.

You might be right but it seems that anyone selling several $3k-5k items in their ebay store would be a little more patient and understanding considering their buyers are unable to see, touch and examine the item in person. Not too many people will hand over their hard earn money to a stranger without asking questions of authenticity and background history of the product. If I know my item is 100% Authentic I wouldn't have a problem answering all questions. Her attitude is don't buy if you're concern about authenticity. She wouldn't even provide the full SN# but she instructed me to have it authenticated but wouldn't the authenticator want the full SN#. Smh!

Chanbal's advice is excellent. Take a few to go and read some of the seller nightmare stories where buyers claimed rocks (or sent back rocks), empty boxes, etc. Right now on ebay, it's a buyer's (and scammer's) paradise, as they can use items and send them back for no reason, whether the seller takes returns or not--they just claim they are SNAD or fake and back they go. Many sellers are highly skittish about sellers that might turn into problems, so they are trying to cover themselves the best they can. Yes, a seller should provide any information you'd like within reason, but try to put yourself in their shoes after doing some reading on the ebay board. It really might open your eyes as to why they do it. 90% of sellers or more have left ebay due to the problems there, and many are leaving daily.