Price differences

Macaroon13

Feb 11, 2013
This might be common knowledge, but I thought it would be interesting to see the price differences you're paying for a Birkin 30 Togo across major markets. I took the list of 2014 prices in the Shopping section and applied today's exchange rates. Since the published prices for Canada, US and Japan excluded tax I applied a typical GST to those prices. Lowest of course is France at 100%, the rest are indexed to France. You will also need to apply any VAT refunds you can expect yourself because it varies by citizenship.

France: 100%
Canada (5% gst): 118%
England: 119%
Hong Kong: 123%
Australia: 128%
US (9% gst): 130%
Japan (8% gst): 133%
Singapore: 138%
Reseller (assuming $16k usd for B30 togo): 185%

Interesting idea. Not sure where you got the numbers for Canada and the US but there is no GST in the US, state taxes vary widely (some by county), and in Canada there are provincial taxes and none at all in Alberta. Also not sure where you got the reseller figure but it is very high.

You are also not factoring in how much must typically be spent in stores country by country before most are even offered a Birkin.

Interesting idea. Not sure where you got the numbers for Canada and the US but there is no GST in the US, state taxes vary widely (some by county), and in Canada there are provincial taxes and none at all in Alberta. Also not sure where you got the reseller figure but it is very high.

You are also not factoring in how much must typically be spent in stores country by country before most are even offered a Birkin.
Yes true - it is difficult to factor in how much the minimum spend is to be considered worthy to get a birkin because it varies a lot by store/SA/person.
Sorry I might be calling it incorrectly by saying GST but I wanted to apply some sort of tax to the US, Canada and Japan prices since all the other countries have sales tax embedded in the price, and I read in the 2014 price thread first page that Canada has a 5% tax, Japan has 8%, and I just applied a general 9% for US as an approximation of NY/California taxes. Obviously take it with a grain of salt!

Just for comparison purposes, here is the price difference for Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 Monogram (from their various country websites). Same methodology as above. Interestingly the countries are ranked the same from low to high but LV has a narrower price difference. Obviously there are no supply constraints for an LV bag and maybe that is why pricing is quite tight across markets.
France - 100%
Canada - 105%
England - 105%
HK - 117%
Australia - 119%
US - 120%
Japan - 121%

Just for comparison purposes, here is the price difference for Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 Monogram (from their various country websites). Same methodology as above. Interestingly the countries are ranked the same from low to high but LV has a narrower price difference. Obviously there are no supply constraints for an LV bag and maybe that is why pricing is quite tight across markets.
France - 100%
Canada - 105%
England - 105%
HK - 117%
Australia - 119%
US - 120%
Japan - 121%

Interesting! In Ontario, the HST is 13% (8% provincial and 5% federal)--ouch!

I always compare my local prices to the US depending on which state I may be visiting. I also use that to compare when I shop on H.com both Canada and US. There can be quite a difference in prices between the 2 countries. For example, silk carre is less expensive here than in the US (NY tax) but the silk/cashmere GM is less expensive in the US. But in the end I buy where there's stock available.

This might be common knowledge, but I thought it would be interesting to see the price differences you're paying for a Birkin 30 Togo across major markets. I took the list of 2014 prices in the Shopping section and applied today's exchange rates. Since the published prices for Canada, US and Japan excluded tax I applied a typical GST to those prices. Lowest of course is France at 100%, the rest are indexed to France. You will also need to apply any VAT refunds you can expect yourself because it varies by citizenship.

Canada (5% gst): 118%
US (9% gst): 130%
Japan (8% gst): 133%
Reseller (assuming $16k usd for B30 togo): 185%
Can you post this without the GST applied to countries that don't have it? As Mistikat notes, there are US states without sales tax and Canada varies widely.
It would also be interesting seeing this normalized for exchange rate variance - this would be the best true indicator.
That said, it makes me very happy that I will be in France for a few weeks!

Ok, I removed the tax from the US, Canada and Japan prices so this is based on the stated prices in the price thread:
Canada (pretax): 112%
US (pretax): 119%
Japan (pretax): 124%

Are there Hermes stores in US states with no sales tax? I was sad when the Saks in Portland, Oregon closed (even though their selection was awful) because it was like having a 9% off coupon everywhere you go!

Who would have thought that Canada would be cheaper than the US. I would have thought that the US would be the cheapest (after France)!

Agreed! Especially if you have a high state sales tax

I wrote about this in another thread as well, but what I noticed (at least between US and Canada) was that some items were more expensive in country A, and some were more expensive in country B. Seems so strange that it isn't standard.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum