Coat n00b needs a coat.

brae

Aug 2, 2013
Bare with me... I live in Florida but it does get cold! I am in the upper part of the state, lived here for a little while but I still don't know how to exist in the winter. Last year we were in the 20-30's a lot. Usually it's windy, wet, raining or threatens to snow but doesn't stick (mostly frost).

Right now, I have a cotton trench and a leather jacket. I have one of those puffer jackets but it's all synthetic materials.
I have no idea what the best coat is for this climate. The cotton is okay but is miserable if it's wet and it doesn't keep the wind out.
The puffer jacket is probably the warmest I have but I would like natural materials if possible.

What do you guys think I need for this climate? I don't want to sacrifice style unless I have to. Should I try wool or something else? Do you have any good recommendations for brands? I would need to stay at or below $300 and want it to be a coat I can wear for years.

Thanks for your help.

How do you feel about a parka?

I would head to REI or an outdoor shop or ski/snowboard shop (I know they have those in Fla or they used to) or sporting goods store and see if there was anything I liked. Those clothes are made for getting wet and keeping warm, and sometimes they have a liner you can remove.

Once you figure out what you like, you may be able to find something more like street clothes that has the features you need for the cold rain.

Could it be damp which makes you feel the cold? If snow doesn't lie that can be the damp. You should be able to do layers and work with a lot of your existing clothes.

Top layer should be an absolutely waterproof coat or long jacket preferably breathable & machine washable. Last one I got was from a jean company, G Star and very reasonable.

Underneath a warm knit jacket/cardi or whatever you have that works. A good fleece is nice, I used to have an Escada pink poodle wrap that eventually died in action. You get the picture.

Then your usual outfit.

Probably a pair of completely waterproof boots would be a good idea. Leather soles absorb the damp and never really dry out. A rubber sole and synthetic upper works well.

It's a brain shift and takes a while to put together for your life. Nothing need be expensive but you will need to do research and discover what and where the locals buy.

Have fun!

How do you feel about a parka?

I would head to REI or an outdoor shop or ski/snowboard shop (I know they have those in Fla or they used to) or sporting goods store and see if there was anything I liked. Those clothes are made for getting wet and keeping warm, and sometimes they have a liner you can remove.

Once you figure out what you like, you may be able to find something more like street clothes that has the features you need for the cold rain.

As far as a Parka, I have seen some cute ones. Are you thinking more insulated ones, kinda puffy?
That is a really great idea, I think we just got an REI here recently.

As far as a Parka, I have seen some cute ones. Are you thinking more insulated ones, kinda puffy?
That is a really great idea, I think we just got an REI here recently.

No, more of a water-resistant shell, maybe with a removable liner, or you could layer instead of using a liner.

Check out North Face's triclimate jacket. A few of my coworkers have it and I have seen them wearing the pieces together and separately. I also saw an older version of it deeply discounted at the Orlando outlets when I was there in May.