Best Offer--Buy w/ Private Feedback

Eva14

O.G.
May 15, 2012
I'm selling a rather expensive item of clothing (about $500). I've only been selling on eBay for a few months, and usually only low-priced items. I'm still learning and don't want to get ripped off.

First, the buyer was from outside the USA. Not a problem, because I did list that I ship internationally. I have no idea if I should restrict expensive items to USA only? Just to keep postage and things simpler?

Also, I have no idea whether or not to offer returns, as this is designer clothing. Any thoughts?

Lastly, the 'Best Offer' was very low and came from someone who keeps her feedback private. Is that a red flag? My feedback is 100% and I'm proud of that. I just can't imagine doing business with someone who wants to keep her feedback private. Are there valid reasons for doing so?

I tend to think the worst, with all of the scams out there. I'm just trying to be very careful. This is NOT an item that I can afford to lose.

Thank you for any advice; I greatly appreciate it.

Private feedback is not in itself a red flag. Your buyer may not want people to see her purchase history because she is a reseller or perhaps she simply does not want people to know what she buys.

But combined with your other concerns - you are a new seller, it is international and a low ball offer - there are too many caution flags. I would be inclined not to enter into negotiations with this buyer and hope something you feel more comfortable with comes along.

What country is she from? Can you get on-line tracking? How long has she been a member?
Aren't there some countries where FB is automatically private due to privacy laws? I thought Germany was one. But, I may not be remembering correctly.
Personally, the combination of low ball offer, international and private feedback would make me feel uncomfortable.

What country is she from? Can you get on-line tracking? How long has she been a member?
Aren't there some countries where FB is automatically private due to privacy laws? I thought Germany was one. But, I may not be remembering correctly.
Personally, the combination of low ball offer, international and private feedback would make me feel uncomfortable.
It wasn't that feedback was private. It was bidding history (when ebay allowed us to see it) that was blocked for privacy reasons.

I've been selling a long time so maybe I'm jaded.

Here we have an international buyer with private feedback who low balled you on an expensive item on which they will likely have to pay duty. Now stir in eBay's RIDICULOUS defect policy.

I would have declined and blocked quicker 'n you can say "PITA".

Another very weird thing? The potential buyer submitted the lowball offer almost IMMEDIATELY after I'd listed the item! Is this some kind of new scam? Maybe scammers are targeting eBay sellers who are new and don't have much SELLING feedback?

I thought I'd ask here, because the whole thing seemed very bizarre. The potential buyer had NO questions about measurements or condition of the item, either. I included all of that info in my auction, but it's a vintage item and I would be surprised if people did NOT have any questions. Thanks!

Another very weird thing? The potential buyer submitted the lowball offer almost IMMEDIATELY after I'd listed the item! Is this some kind of new scam? Maybe scammers are targeting eBay sellers who are new and don't have much SELLING feedback?

I thought I'd ask here, because the whole thing seemed very bizarre. The potential buyer had NO questions about measurements or condition of the item, either. I included all of that info in my auction, but it's a vintage item and I would be surprised if people did NOT have any questions. Thanks!

If your listing is complete I wouldn't find a lack of questions a red flag. Ebay doesn't encourage communication between buyers and sellers.

Anything is possible but you can't assume anything. A good rule of thumb is to go with your gut and if it doesn't feel right then it isn't right for you.