Hmmm, did I make a mistake?

bliss_cathy

Jan 30, 2014
I just purchased an item yesterday from the US. For some unusual reason paypal was coming up with the error message 'merchant does not send internationally.'

I contacted the seller and he said that he does sell internationally and to pay via paypal directly.

PayPal gave me his email address and talked me through the process of paying him direct.

I paid direct via paypal and used the payment for goods option.

However now I haven't heard from the buyer at all?

Am I still protected here and safe to receive the item?

I just purchased an item yesterday from the US. For some unusual reason paypal was coming up with the error message 'merchant does not send internationally.'

I contacted the seller and he said that he does sell internationally and to pay via paypal directly.

PayPal gave me his email address and talked me through the process of paying him direct.

So long as you paid through the PP Goods option, you're still protected. Since you just purchased it a day ago, I wouldn't worry that you haven't heard from him.

So long as you paid through the PP Goods option, you're still protected. Since you just purchased it a day ago, I wouldn't worry that you haven't heard from him.
Thank you, hopefully I hear from the seller in the next few days. I got lots of emails while I was trying to pay and then it went quiet once I paid. Maybe there was no urgency to respond anymore and the time difference as well.

I did pay via the goods option so that's a relief.

Was this an ebay item? If so, you've lost your ebay protection but still have PP protection. Can't believe PP gave you another member's email address though!

Was this an ebay item? If so, you've lost your ebay protection but still have PP protection. Can't believe PP gave you another member's email address though!
Lol, I seem to be getting all exposed to all kinds of random customer service the last couple of days. Yes, it was an ebay item. What is the difference between paypal protection and ebay protection?

The conversation went similar to this...
Me: I am unable to pay for an item on ebay via paypal due to an error message.
PayPal: well, why don't you pay them directly
Me: how?
PayPal: ask them to send the invoice to your email
Me: I can't send email addresses in ebay
PayPal: well private message them your email
Me: how do I do that?
PayPal: or can't you just send them your email to their email address?
Me: I don't have their email address.
PayPal: how have you been communicating?
Me: via ebay
PayPal: well I have their email address.
Me: that's good, should I contact them?
PayPal: well I can talk you through paying for the item now....

And so I paid direct, and feeling very uncomfortable now from the radio silence and the weirdness of the whole transaction. I honestly think the whole issue was with PayPal. PayPal US did not have records of my attempts to pay, however paypal Australia saw my half a dozen attempts to pay. The seller probably thinks it's all really strange too, me paying like this.

Well I'll leave it a few days and see what happens.

Lol, I seem to be getting all exposed to all kinds of random customer service the last couple of days. Yes, it was an ebay item. What is the difference between paypal protection and ebay protection?

And so I paid direct, and feeling very uncomfortable now from the radio silence and the weirdness of the whole transaction. I honestly think the whole issue was with PayPal. PayPal US did not have records of my attempts to pay, however paypal Australia saw my half a dozen attempts to pay. The seller probably thinks it's all really strange too, me paying like this.

I'm surprised PayPal encouraged you to pay directly. And I am not sure what the difference is in between both protections but I think you are safe with PPs protection program.

I'm surprised PayPal encouraged you to pay directly. And I am not sure what the difference is in between both protections but I think you are safe with PPs protection program.

Yeah I'm surprised too. I've always thought we have to be wary when the seller suggests paying directly (PayPal) outside of eBay

You're getting all the eBay/PayPal luck huh? Haha

Good luck and I look forward to your next post 😊

You're getting all the eBay/PayPal luck huh? Haha

Good luck and I look forward to your next post ��
I certainly am!! I figure if I tolerate this stream of crazy for a while I'll bank a run of good luck later. Admittedly I find that it teaches me a lot!! And sometimes everything goes really smoothly. I find the more I experience with situations, the less stressed I get.

Good news is that seller contacted me and is sending the item tomorrow. He seems to think it's going through ebay as he said he's still paying Final Value Fees. Though I'm unsure if it is....

I don't mind, as long as it goes smoothly.

I seriously think I got the most newbie PayPal customer services rep.

I don't think she understood that it was strange. The fact she kept asking me why I couldn't send my email address or vice versa indicated to me that she had no idea.