Paypal question

zippie

Dec 7, 2006
I just logged in to my PayPal account and it will not let me transfer any money until I "resolve" some issues???!! They want a copy of my drivers license WTF?? I have been selling on Ebay for 8 years so I don't understand what is going on with PayPal.

I just logged in to my PayPal account and it will not let me transfer any money until I "resolve" some issues???!! They want a copy of my drivers license WTF?? I have been selling on Ebay for 8 years so I don't understand what is going on with PayPal.

I had to do that at some point and provide my ss! That made me very nervous. I called they wanted my social sec # I guess I was getting close to the 1099 seller threshold (didn't make it thankfully)! That made me extremely nervous. The Driver's License I can't remember but I think it had to do with increasing the amount I wanted to transfer. If you withdraw or want to, more than 500 per month I needed to provide it so they would lift my limit. Ex. I sold a $750 bag and want to transfer all of the $$ to my bank acct< I couldn't go over the $500 per month, unless I provided my License.
Just make sure it is directly from Paypal, but I would certainly call.

I would never provide my SSN

PayPal would need it for a 1099 where applicable.

But that said, I feel that PayPal has become really invasive in recent years. I sell around 20% as much as I used to because of PayPal and eBay's new policies. I'd rather consign or just keep my items than deal with the multiple headaches that can arise via selling on eBay these days..............

These morons want a copy of my latest tax return providing proof of my SS number, a copy of my driver's license showing proof of who I am, a copy of my utility bill showing my name and address. I took down all of my auctions.

These morons want a copy of my latest tax return providing proof of my SS number, a copy of my driver's license showing proof of who I am, a copy of my utility bill showing my name and address. I took down all of my auctions.

Would have done the same... too invasive & as more of these messages
are received by sellers who have a good standing & good history with
ebay, more members will probably make the same decision...

Steps to Provide More InformationDate LimitedRequired ResponseStatusActionJul 29, 2014Waiting for your responseResolveJul 29, 2014Photo IDTo help confirm your identity, please send us a copy of your photo ID that shows your name and address.Waiting for your responseResolveJul 29, 2014Proof of AddressTo confirm your address, please send us a copy of a bill that shows your name and address. Helpful documents include a utility bill, a cell phone bill, an insurance bill, or a tuition bill.Waiting for your responseResolveJul 29, 2014Provide Proof Of SSNProvide documentation that shows your Social Security number. Helpful documents include a copy of your Social Security card, a pay stub, or a government-issued document.Waiting for your responseResolve

Steps to Provide More InformationDate LimitedRequired ResponseStatusActionJul 29, 2014Waiting for your responseResolveJul 29, 2014Photo IDTo help confirm your identity, please send us a copy of your photo ID that shows your name and address.Waiting for your responseResolveJul 29, 2014Proof of AddressTo confirm your address, please send us a copy of a bill that shows your name and address. Helpful documents include a utility bill, a cell phone bill, an insurance bill, or a tuition bill.Waiting for your responseResolveJul 29, 2014Provide Proof Of SSNProvide documentation that shows your Social Security number. Helpful documents include a copy of your Social Security card, a pay stub, or a government-issued document.Waiting for your responseResolve

Did you call them to see why they want all of this? They would need your SS# or EIN for taxes, but not the other stuff.

Are you serious? I would have done the same. Wow. Have you called them yet?

Did you call them to see why they want all of this? They would need your SS# or EIN for taxes, but not the other stuff.

They have had my SS number for a few years. I called and was on hold for about 30 minutes then tried talking to someone who sounded like she didn't graduate from middle school. After arguing with her I asked for a supervisor, as I was being transferred I was mysteriously cut off. I sent 2 emails and received canned responses that had nothing to do with my questions.

Paypal is regulated by the Federal Reserve and subject to the USA Patriot Act. They need this information to comply with anti-money laundering rules. Since they operate in other jurisdictions that have AML laws, they are also bound by those and have similar requirements.