Classic City bag in silver

Hi, I'm completely new to Balenciaga. I'm looking to buy a silver bag and found the classic metallic city bag in silver at the Neimans website. After reading up on these bags I understand certain blues, purples & blacks can fade. Does anyone have any experience with the silver color? Will it fade? Will color transfer be a problem?

Hi, I'm completely new to Balenciaga. I'm looking to buy a silver bag and found the classic metallic city bag in silver at the Neimans website. After reading up on these bags I understand certain blues, purples & blacks can fade. Does anyone have any experience with the silver color? Will it fade? Will color transfer be a problem?

I'd like to know also, as I've been eyeing this color as well. :smile:

I don't think a metallic can fade. I'd be more concerned with it peeling/flaking depending on how it's incorporated into the leather. Also, once it's broken in- I can't picture it looking good.
I could be totally wrong though.

Regarding color transfer- I wouldn't wear any light colors, or metallics against jeans and the like.
Any item of clothing that has the potential for the dye to run (like lots of fading in the wash), I'd keep away from this bag.

Thanks for the response. I'm so OCD about my bags so if it could possibly flake then no way! I really want one so I'll be looking for non metallic colors that catch me eye.

I know how you feel. This is a huge investment so flaking, fading, or color transfer would definitely turn me off on a purchase.
I had a Paddington several years ago (anthracite) and it faded in various areas. Really bummed me out on metallic bags.

All my best regards to you!!!

The 'old' Metallics did have issues, in that the metallic coating was just that .. a coating over Agneau (Lambskin leather).

Not sure exactly how Balenciaga makes the new metallics, but not as much of an issue. However, that being said .. remember, that based on the design of the bag alone .. the corners will wear over time and that the leather may look like it's faded.

I would have to take a look IRL at the new Gris Aluminum to let you know how I think it will stand up. I've had both the "oldie" Metallics, the limited edition 2009 Metallics (Stardust) and Pewter, so I can speak to the differences. I guess a trip to the Balenciaga boutique and/or retail stores might be in order!

I think all colours can fade if they are exposed to too much sun/ rain/ if the leather is too dry.

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

I'd moved on from this bag. Then today while walking through Neimans there it was on display. It's so stunning. It's torturing me!

Ya think? I think it looks cheap. In fact, the only place I think that bag belongs is on a cheap looking hooker.
The bag might work in the mini version if you're using it for a club, but that's it.

(still want it? if not, my job is done :P)

Ya think? I think it looks cheap. In fact, the only place I think that bag belongs is on a cheap looking hooker.
The bag might work in the mini version if you're using it for a club, but that's it.

LOL.. If you "think" you want anything else, just let me know! :roflmfao:

Omg, you are hilarious :roflmfao:
You should start a thread ... I'd pop in and get your opinion about something I'm trying hard not to get ;)

Omg, you are hilarious :roflmfao:
You should start a thread ... I'd pop in and get your opinion about something I'm trying hard not to get ;)

lol.. might not be a bad idea. A thread where we can get honest opinions on something..
There have been many a time that I wished someone would have said to me "that looks terrible, don't get it".
Instead, I hear it after I buy an item! (thanks closest friends!):P

Hmm....it looks hookerish. I've always loved anything silver & shiny but now that you've put that it my head I can see it. Anyway, looking at it in the store it looks like it will wear badly. I think I'm going to get a black Bal. Keep it classy. I'll have a screaming fit if it fades. It's all part of the experience right?:biggrin: