My Black Tote Hunt Ended With Saffiano Cuir Double Bag

purserella

O.G.
Aug 15, 2008
Hi TPF’rs!

You may want to grab a cup of tea or something because this is a little long and detailed. :popcorn:

So I’ve been on the hunt for a non-trendy, structured, classy and chic black tote style handbag that I can carry for business and day. After considering budget and my pretty long search, I finally narrowed it down. My decision was between the Louis Vuitton Montaigne Empreinte GM ($3500), Chanel Cerf/Executive Tote ($3,400) and the Prada Saffiano Cuir Double Bag ($2870).

So far the Prada Double Bag is winning my heart. Let me tell you why:

LV Montaigne Empreinte

While the leather on the LV smells scrumptious, I ruled it out mainly because the front and back of bag is very logo-y. (If that’s what you are going for than that’s great.) I also noticed something weird…when I look at the bag from certain angles in person and in pics, the empreinte sides of this particular bag occasionally look rubber, although I know its genuine leather. Wondering if it’s just me? I did mention it to the SA and she actually said “I never noticed that until you just brought it to my attention - I can see what you mean.” I wasn’t particularly crazy about the lining. I did like the leather middle zippered compartment and the security it provides. I felt the price point was too high. I would have preferred to see something under $3K. But let’s face it…all the luxury-high-end designer bags have “crazy” price points attached now. So I guess it just boils down to making sure you love it (practicality and aesthetics)!

Chanel Executive Tote (Cerf)

I’ll be honest…I was hoping to walk into Chanel and fall in love with the Chanel Cerf (which is also referred to as the Executive Cerf now, I guess). I visited 2 Chanel boutiques – inside Saks in Beverly Hills and the other in South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. I was disappointed in the shape of the bag and how stiff and boxy the bag seemed. I could wear the top handles over my shoulder but it seemed so boxy that it made my arm stick out. I couldn’t wear it over my shoulder comfortably. The bag was also a little long in width and not as high as I would have liked. I wanted gold hardware, they only had the silver but I didn’t love the overall bag so I wouldn’t have gotten it anyway. I still haven’t given up on Chanel, it just doesn’t seem like they have what I want now. I will keep my eye on Chanel for future versions of this tote or other totes.

Prada Saffiano Cuir Double Bag

Now let’s get to my baby that I have the option to return in less than 14 days (only 10 days left). My darling husband actually purchased this Prada Saffiano Cuir Double Bag for me as a gift. I know they have all sorts of colors to choose from but I was specifically looking for a timeless all black tote so I chose the black on black. The saffiano cuir exterior is softer than the saffiano lux. Its interior is made of lambskin leather.

I believe the bag comes in 3 sizes now (small, medium and large). I picked out the medium size 10 ½” H x 14” W x 7”D for my 5’6”, 135 lb frame. It comes with a detachable adjustable shoulder strap. The original version (black with red interior) released in February 2014 only came in one large size and did not come with the shoulder strap. The new large doesn’t come with shoulder strap either. I love the fact that you can carry it in your hand, arm or on your shoulder. I can even carry it on my shoulder using the top handles, they just won’t fit over a bulky coat or sweater.
As you can see, it has fixed handles. I like the way they stay up in the air on this bag.
I’m ok with the top having no zipper for added security because the top handles have a little strap that you can snap to keep the handles close together which reduces the opening at top of bag. The snaps on the side of the bag also help keep the sides tucked even more.

This Double Bag doesn’t seem like it will lose its shape (like one of Prada’s other styles, Saffiano Lux Double Zip tote) because it has a snap flap pocket in the middle, that some may feel is a weird pocket but that piece in the middle was designed to help the bag keep its shape and provide some organization to the inside. I actually like having that separation because I can put my magazines on one side and put whatever else I want on the other. The small pocket included is just another benefit and can hold small items (cell, keys, etc).

This bag also comes in a smooth calf skin leather exterior which I considered. It’s called the City Calf Double Bag. I don’t think this one has the shoulder strap. My sales associate advised me not to consider it for everyday because she said the leather will eventually get scratched and start to look worn. For the $2,900 + price point we wouldn’t want that to happen now would we?! So I went with the saffiano cuir. I appreciate the minimalistic design and it has just enough gold hardware including Prada’s triangular logo that neither looks cheap or overbearing.

I’d love to hear your comments!

Attachments

• PradaDouble2.jpg
    PradaDouble2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 10,460
  • PradaDouble3.jpg
    PradaDouble3.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 10,390
  • PradaDouble4.jpg
    PradaDouble4.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 10,469
  • PradaDouble5.jpg
    PradaDouble5.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 10,290
Reactions: Nicolephp and Kmora
So beautiful, congrats! I have to say that I've had a Chanel Cerf for years, I don't carry it every day as I tend to swap out my purses regularly, but it has held up wonderfully over the years.

Very logical and stylish choice. I agree with your hesitations on the first two bags-- that the LV monogram would be too distracting and that there's something odd about the shape of the Cerf tote.

Lovely bag, lovely story behind the purchased , great review on the bag,
Aww, thanks so much for your feedback! Now I don't feel so bad about writing a book. lol I tried to provide enough info for TPF'rs to give me their thoughts on the bag, but also provide enough info to help others that may be considering purchasing the Saffiano Cuir DB. ;)

Very logical and stylish choice. I agree with your hesitations on the first two bags-- that the LV monogram would be too distracting and that there's something odd about the shape of the Cerf tote.
I'm glad someone else understands what I'm saying about the "odd" shape of the Cerf. I was surprised to see the shape, mainly because soooo many people LOVE their Cerfs. When I got to Chanel I thought, "Am I missing something? I don't get it." Thanks for the feedback! :smile:

I think you made a great choice, and I appreciated your comments on that middle pocket. At first I was like (???) when I saw it, but it makes a lot of sense with your explanation.

I'm not a fan of bags with monograms all over them either, and I just can't into Chanel. I never really care for their bags, and I always feel bad/weird about saying that...like I'm admitting I hate puppies and kitties or something!

I think you made a great choice, and I appreciated your comments on that middle pocket. At first I was like (???) when I saw it, but it makes a lot of sense with your explanation.

I'm not a fan of bags with monograms all over them either, and I just can't into Chanel. I never really care for their bags, and I always feel bad/weird about saying that...like I'm admitting I hate puppies and kitties or something!
Thanks for your comments!

I understand what you are saying about the middle pocket. It took me a minute to get used to it too. After viewing it as an added benefit only and not a flaw, it then made sense. You have to like or at least not mind the separation in the middle in order for it to work for you. Some people may prefer one big open space in their totes. The separation works for me.

Don't feel bad, I've never owned a Chanel bag. I have never lusted over any of their bags. Well wait a minute...I would love to have one of those small quilted flap bags in black though. Does that count? lol