Alligator Belt: If it's worth the investment

Apr 13, 2009
Would love to get opinions on purchase of a classic black belt in alligator skin.
Do you think this is a piece that is worth the investment? It's not a name brand Italian belt from a very nice store. I am considering getting it 50% off, but even after this it will be in a price range of LV belt.
Do you think you can tell the difference by just looking at it - a real alligator and just embossed leather?

Personally I cannot tell the difference (unless it's a top quality item like hermes, that tends to look distinct.). Furthermore alligators, crocodiles, pythons and the like have serious environmental and ethical implications, which all in all made me give them all up. I only buy very high quality leather items now and vintage when possible.

Would love to get opinions on purchase of a classic black belt in alligator skin.
Do you think this is a piece that is worth the investment? It's not a name brand Italian belt from a very nice store. I am considering getting it 50% off, but even after this it will be in a price range of LV belt.
Do you think you can tell the difference by just looking at it - a real alligator and just embossed leather?

Sorry to bring this thread back but you only got one reply. Did you buy it? I think real gator, croc, etc is a worthwhile investment. I do believe that most can tell the difference.

It depends on the quality of the product with respect to the asking price. I can get a local craftsmen to produce an entirely hand stitched alligator belt for me for 400$ CAD. At 400$ it is worth the investment for me, but for a mass produced belt that costs 2000$, I personally wouldn't.

…oh wow (just realized how old this thread is :S)