A stranger grabbed my bag and dropped it on the ground!

bexxii

Jun 9, 2014
I believe that most tPFers would agree the ground is NOT a good place for our babied bags, I'd rather balance them on my head (lol) rather than let my bags sit on the dirty ground, and this experience really made me super furious.

So I was waiting with my friends at a restaurant while the waiters cleared a table for us, we were chatting on the couches in the waiting area, nobody else was sitting there so I placed my saffiano tote next to me on the empty seat. I wasn't paying attention to people coming and going, until I heard a VERY loud FLOP right next to me, I looked up and was stunned to find that a total stranger had just picked up my bag, dropped it on the ground (it was rough tile!!), sat her butt down where it was and acted like nothing had happened!

I was so shocked by her behaviour that I sat there gaping at her group, my friend reacted first and asked her why she touched my belongings, and said - in an even tone with no snobbishness whatsoever - that the rough floor would scratch my bag and that she should not have been so careless, the girl and her friends got extremely offended for some reason and raised their voices at us, saying things like "so you think your bag's better than us?" We were so appalled, and tried to reason with them that they could've just asked me to remove my bag and I would've gladly obliged, instead of touching my stuff without permission, they scoffed at us and called us... get this: "stuck up good for nothing trust fund babies."

OMFG.

Finally the staff intervened and asked them to calm down, but it still ruined our entire evening, didn't even enjoy my steak. :sad:
Has this kind of thing ever happened to you guys?? Strangers being rude and judgemental based on what we carry on our arms is just sad, mean and stupid.

I would have been livid. To me, it's not a matter of my bag being on the floor, or even being scuffed, for that matter. But for some random person to touch my personal belongings without so much as an ounce of care... I would have popped off on her.

I would have been livid. To me, it's not a matter of my bag being on the floor, or even being scuffed, for that matter. But for some random person to touch my personal belongings without so much as an ounce of care... I would have popped off on her.
If it wasn't a quiet restaurant with a lot of other people enjoying their dinner I definitely would've made a much bigger scene, but in the end they were the ones who got loathing stares from everyone.
People like that just 'amaze' me. Siiiigh....

Did this thing happened in the USA? I mean how can a person be so effing jealous that they grab your bag and drop it...it's mind boggling
Nope, in NZ actually~ It's funny because a lot of people in NZ don't really care for luxury products that much, and the term 'trust fund baby' (which I am NOT) is almost never heard, I was unfortunate enough to encounter those rare crazies. I think jealousy was only one small factor though, they were probably just born a**holes. :-P

Nope, in NZ actually~ It's funny because a lot of people in NZ don't really care for luxury products that much, and the term 'trust fund baby' (which I am NOT) is almost never heard, I was unfortunate enough to encounter those rare crazies. I think jealousy was only one small factor though, they were probably just born a**holes. :-P

I probably would have laughed in her face the moment she said trust fund baby. Ha! I wish!
I've never had this happen, but I have had people make assumptions about me based on ridiculous things.
Don't worry, it's just a side effect of being fabulous. ;)

Something similar happened to me once at a theme park. My group of 5 had spent half an hour looking for a big enough table in one of those super crowded resteraunts, and after we had finally found one I set down my bag on a chair to hold my dad's seat (it was just a regular bag with cartoon characters on it, I don't take expensive bags to places like that, but still!) and as Im sitting there holding the table while my family gets food, this teenage kid comes up, grabs my bag and puts it on the table, and then just starts dragging the chair away. Never asked if anyone was using it or anything, he just kept talking and laughing with his friends as he took the chair.

I was furious. I got up, walked over to him, YANKED the chair out of his hands, gave him a dirty look and took it back to the table. I was actually too angry to even say anything. Since I don't ride thrill rides, I was the one holding everyone's stuff so that bag had like 6 cell phones, wallets, souvenirs etc etc. in it! It may have been a cheapie bag but it had some serious cargo!

Don't worry about those girls. They never got past that developmental stage where they realise the world does not revolve around them and they can't just abuse someone else's property.

OMG.
If I had been in your position, I would have totally flipped out. She had absolutely no right no touch your things without your permission, let alone put them on the dirty floor! And then she attacks you for calling her out on it?! I'm sure that she was just jealous. Ugh, some people. :cursing:

Wow! Definitely rude! That has never happened to me because, from where I come from, they would either ask nicely or steal the bag (lol). I am sorry this happened to you. I hope your bag wasn't hurt. Moving forward, I suggest you keep an eye of your bag since you really dont know the crazies that you might encounter :smile: