Quick question about size in listings...

lshcat

O.G.
Mar 31, 2010
Hi all, I have a customer asking for a return on a bag because she assumed the length I listed in the auction (which was the longest length) was the base length. The base is a few inches shorter than the top.. I guess I've always listed the longest length of any bag as the item's length in the item specifics.. is that incorrect? She told me at the base "that's how bags are measured" lol.. I have no problem refunding I just don't know if I have literally been measuring wrong all my years. I guess I could enter in a base length and top length in that one section, and I probably will from now on. But is this a returnable issue? Just curious. Thanks for the insight.

There's nothing wrong with listing the widest measurement, IMHO. Some places do this but no every brand and/or retailer lists measurements the same way, either.

Some list the base and others the widest part. Others seem to find some other magical point to measure that I can't even replicate when measuring the bag myself.:wondering I mean, I've seen different measurements for the same bag on different sites while shopping online.

I feel that if a buyer is really that particular they should ask but it sounds like you're OK with taking the return. In the future you could always specify in your listing that you're measuring at the widest part or whatever. It couldn't hurt. Some people might be trying to make sure that something they carry regularly (laptop, tablet, papers/folders, etc.) would fit in the bag.

Thanks to both of you for your input! Lesson learned, I'll look at that more carefully from now on.. this was a nylon Longchamp le pliage tote so I didn't think twice about it on this one especially, since they are so size specific and categorized (small/medium or large) kwim? I cannot assume people know the bags as specifically as us tpf'ers I guess, lol! And their website does apparently list the base size only, so I will accept the return and start over~ Thanks!!

I usually call width as left to right, the length as the height from top to bottom and depth as front to back.

I think as long as you're specific as to where and what the measurement represents, you're okay but since people define length and width differently, it's helpful to give your definitiion.

Handbag measurement is an inexact science at best. I think instead of "length" a lot of websites say "height" for the bottom to top and "width" for the side to side. If a bag has a different width across the top than across the bottom it is a good idea to specify both widths. I don't think there is a standard practice defining which width is which.

Thanks to both of you for your input! Lesson learned, I'll look at that more carefully from now on.. this was a nylon Longchamp le pliage tote so I didn't think twice about it on this one especially, since they are so size specific and categorized (small/medium or large) kwim? I cannot assume people know the bags as specifically as us tpf'ers I guess, lol! And their website does apparently list the base size only, so I will accept the return and start over~ Thanks!!

Just looked at NM for the Longchamp pliage tote. Don't know what size
the one was that you were selling but for example:

NM lists mesaurements as : 10 x (height) 10 (width) x 5 1/2 (diameter)
which probably come from the company stat sheets

How far off were your measurements for the buyer wanting to return?

But you are doing the right thing by accepting the return...

Last edited: