Are the lambskin sometimes different quality in different colors?

sminmin99

Jul 11, 2014
Hi TPFers!

I went to see the mini flaps in chanel boutique a lot recently
There are red and black lambskin both with RHW, the red display was sitting there for quite long time but got no scratch at all, I've checked many stores and the red displays all seem quite durable
But the black one got a scratch even it only sit there for a day
I saw a lot big scratches on the other black classic lambskin bags, but couldn't see any on the red classic lambskin with RHW in other sizes.
I think the touch of the red lambskin is rougher than the black lambskin, and it's not as shining as the black lambskin, the black lamb feels a little sticky
Do chanel make different lambskins in different colors?

The explanation they gave me was:
Since each bag is made with leather from a different animal the leather will vary from bag to bag.

I actually noticed the same thing, deciding between a red lambskin, fuchsia and a black.
I thought the black lambskin was softer to touch. :smile:

The explanation they gave me was:
Since each bag is made with leather from a different animal the leather will vary from bag to bag.

I actually noticed the same thing, deciding between a red lambskin, fuchsia and a black.
I thought the black lambskin was softer to touch. :smile:
Thank you snowbubble!
Yeah that may explain why
I met a lady in front of a chanel boutique, she was wearing a cute grey lamb mini, it looks pretty new, she told me she had it for 2 years and almost wore it everyday!
I couldn't see any scratches nor any color transfer, she says actually the lambskin is really durable
I was afraid of getting a lambskin bag, but feel pretty OK now:smile:

I met a lady in front of a chanel boutique, she was wearing a cute grey lamb mini, it looks pretty new, she told me she had it for 2 years and almost wore it everyday!
I couldn't see any scratches nor any color transfer, she says actually the lambskin is really durable.
With more usage, the bag will take on a lovely patina and shine like it's pretty and new. It doesn't take much to keep deep gashes out of lambskin, same as for caviar (actually deep gashes shouldn't happen at all unless one is a bit reticent with large knives). Small marks are easily rubbed out of lambskin, and just plain using the bag over time will make it appear more lovely than the day it was bought.

I was about to explain some thing. The hides/skin will be different on every leather good, so no matter the color or style, they'll all differ.

With more usage, the bag will take on a lovely patina and shine like it's pretty and new. It doesn't take much to keep deep gashes out of lambskin, same as for caviar (actually deep gashes shouldn't happen at all unless one is a bit reticent with large knives). Small marks are easily rubbed out of lambskin, and just plain using the bag over time will make it appear more lovely than the day it was bought.
Thank you tutu!
Yeah maybe I should get that black lamb mini!:yahoo:

Tutu once again you convince me to try lambskin again...
Do you have example pieces of patina and shine from usage?:smile:

Tutu once again you convince me to try lambskin again...
Do you have example pieces of patina and shine from usage?:smile:

I do indeed. Pardon the old photos (from the past year) as most of my bags are still in moving boxes...hopefully soon they will come out for good! :smile:

Attachments

• lb3 - Copy.jpg
    lb3 - Copy.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 534
  • lb4 - Copy.jpg
    lb4 - Copy.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 535
I do indeed. Pardon the old photos (from the past year) as most of my bags are still in moving boxes...hopefully soon they will come out for good! :smile:

Sorry original poster for being off topic. ^___^"

Would you say, darker colors patina better than lighter colors? (Like fuchsias, turquoises, grays).

Thank you for the photo! Hope your move went smoothly!

Sorry original poster for being off topic. ^___^"

Would you say, darker colors patina better than lighter colors? (Like fuchsias, turquoises, grays).

Thank you for the photo! Hope your move went smoothly!
Thanks! I think it's the same for all colors; it's just how much you use the bag. The more use, the more "patina" it will develop. :smile:
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/recent-lamb-more-durable-855965.html
found this thread!
someone mentioned the current lambskin feels more like dior lambskin which is more durable,
I feel the same way:smile:
Good news
It's a long debated topic since way before I started buying Chanel...is the lambskin or caviar going downhill or getting better...it's all just a matter of how good the critter was from which the bag was made, and how good the tanning/dying process goes. Hopefully they are learning and not cutting corners.

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/recent-lamb-more-durable-855965.html
found this thread!
someone mentioned the current lambskin feels more like dior lambskin which is more durable,
I feel the same way:smile:
Good news

I was looking at two pink items, same year and season however one definitely feels like Dior lambskin the other feels like usual soft Chanel lambskin...

When I was purchasing my caviar jumbo? I had two side by side and one was noticeably shinier than the other.

Varies from bag to bag and a bit of luck. :smile:

Hi ladies!
I went to the boutique to check out their minis
They have the black lambskin mini with RHW and red lambskin mini with RHW in stock
They brought out a new black lamb mini for me, it already have some scratches, the price tag even left a long scratch at the back. The leather feels much more smooth than the red one.
But the red mini looks totally fine and the leather feels more like the dior lambskin, I tried to scratch it but nothing happened. But I'm afraid of color transfer in the red one
I love both look, wish could use it everyday
To those who have many lambskin bags, which one do you think I should get? I heard some people say lambskin is actually really durable but I think maybe it's because they got the one with better leather?
Do yo think the red one is going to be more durable than the black one in the future??
Any thoughts would be very appreciated!