olidivia

O.G.
Oct 17, 2008

Attachments

• chanel hardware.jpg
    chanel hardware.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,181
Last edited:
So Black came out in 11P (the only time there was an M/L as well as Jumbo) It was brought back for 12C and then again for 13S. However for some reason there was stock left over/behind? of 13S that popped up around December last year. The 13S did have a different process for the HW then the previous versions. Tutu is our expert on this. maybe she can chime in. :smile:

Did Chanel just make one version of this bag, the one I have been seeing lots of pictures of, from 2013? Did all the hardware look like this (attached)? Or did it vary slightly?

As mentioned above, the 13S version (from both spring and December), was the only one with the PVD coated hardware. I looked up this process extensively at the time, and you can surely bring up most of what I wrote by searching "PVD" on this board. The previous editions did not use this process, which is used, among other things, in high end watches.

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/so-i-took-little-trip-out-shopping-reveal-811157.html
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/so-black-jumbo-as-an-everyday-bag-825374.html#post24901131

I just wanted to mention that while the So Black is a very highly coveted bag, please do your research before you buy anything on the secondary market. Have things authenticated by authenticators who work with Chanel (Etinceler Authentications and Authenticate4U), and do your own homework by searching the threads here (the search function is easy to use and puts a wealth of information at your fingertips). An informed decision is way better than one done in haste or without thinking. Know what you are buying, have it authenticated anyway ALWAYS if it's not coming straight from a boutique, and know that even if it's not one of those "too good to be true deals" that counterfeiters these days often charge a premium to rip you off. Please buy responsibly! :smile:

Is it true that this bag is exclusive to chanel flagship only? This is on my wish list, and we don't have a Chanel boutique in my area. Thanks in advance for the info ladies:smile:

It is true that the last incarnation of this bag was a Chanel boutique exclusive. They are not being made now, and only a few mysteriously appeared late last year as "remnants" from 13S season. Whether Chanel will bring them back has yet to be seen. They did make a 2.55 glacé calf version as well as a matching boy WOC, but plans for the boy "So Black" in full size were shelved. I think with Chanel putting so much emphasis on the boy bags, that the next incarnation may well be on a full sized boy bag.

It is true that the last incarnation of this bag was a Chanel boutique exclusive. They are not being made now, and only a few mysteriously appeared late last year as "remnants" from 13S season. Whether Chanel will bring them back has yet to be seen. They did make a 2.55 glacé calf version as well as a matching boy WOC, but plans for the boy "So Black" in full size were shelved. I think with Chanel putting so much emphasis on the boy bags, that the next incarnation may well be on a full sized boy bag.

Thanks tutu! ☺️

I just wanted to mention that while the So Black is a very highly coveted bag, please do your research before you buy anything on the secondary market. Have things authenticated by authenticators who work with Chanel (Etinceler Authentications and Authenticate4U), and do your own homework by searching the threads here (the search function is easy to use and puts a wealth of information at your fingertips). An informed decision is way better than one done in haste or without thinking. Know what you are buying, have it authenticated anyway ALWAYS if it's not coming straight from a boutique, and know that even if it's not one of those "too good to be true deals" that counterfeiters these days often charge a premium to rip you off. Please buy responsibly! :smile:

Tutu, you do not know how timely your post is. The reason Olidivia posed the question above is because she sold me this bag: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141347344268

Which I found out to be fake within a few hours with the help of the TPF resources and a very special TPFer!

She issued me a refund but it looks like she is trying to see if she can still get away with selling it as an authentic piece.

Here's the pic from her listing of the hw on her bag that I noticed had discrepancies the ones people have posted in their reveals and pointed out to her! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1405697742.525696.jpg

Tutu, you do not know how timely your post is. The reason Olidivia posed the question above is because she sold me this bag: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141347344268

Which I found out to be fake within a few hours with the help of the TPF resources and a very special TPFer!

She issued me a refund but it looks like she is trying to see if she can still get away with selling it as an authentic piece.

Here's the pic from her listing of the hw on her bag that I noticed had discrepancies the ones people have posted in their reveals and pointed out to her! View attachment 2690449

Was her bag from older batch? Because I found out Chanel did produced so black in past. Due to tutus research last years Black HW was done thru sophisticated process by Chanel and this method was done for the 1st time. so previous years so black HW looks different to last years black HW at least to my naked eye.

I had to edit my posting several times so I won't offend anyone :smile:

Last edited:
Was her bag from older batch? Because I found out Chanel did produced so black in past. Due to tutus research last years Black HW was done thru sophisticated process by Chanel and this method was done for the 1st time. so previous years so black HW looks different to last years black HW at least to my naked eye.

I had to edit my posting several times so I won't offend anyone :smile:

Yes that's true. There was one version done in 11 and one in 13. But if you look up her serial number in the authentication thread multiple posts come up for bags that are all confirmed to be non-authentic. Not to mention, Chanel doesn't use the same serial number on multiple bags.

It was just to good to be true!

Yes that's true. There was one version done in 11 and one in 13. But if you look up her serial number in the authentication thread multiple posts come up for bags that are all confirmed to be non-authentic. Not to mention, Chanel doesn't use the same serial number on multiple bags.

True, if serial num found to be fake than it's no good. I just did a search, it seems like this person bought this bag from another party. So scary to buy stuff off 2nd market now a days with these super fakes floating around.

Last edited:

True, if serial num found to be fake than it's no good. I just did a search, it seems like this person bought this bag from another party. So scary to buy stuff off 2nd market now a days with these super fakes floating around.

This is where not doing your homework and not using an authentication service that specializes in Chanel can come into play. Perhaps the seller bought this from someone and she thought it was authentic, and then sold it to another. Without doing homework, she wouldn't have noticed the blaring red flags in many things about this bag, of which the serial number itself is only one of many. The version for 13S was done with PVD, and others before were not. I think this is a case where the seller may have been burned by the person she bought from, but we don't know the full story here. Rather than lay blame, I'm all about education and figuring out a way that this doesn't happen to anyone again.

Do your own homework. Know what basic things are that you can easily find out (such as what general serial numbers should have been for which years...this is quite readily available information out there, what hardware came on a bag...again, easy to find if you just do a little tiny bit of search, etc.). Then have it authenticated by a known Chanel authenticator (Etinceler Authentications or Authenticate4U), and not one who claims to do all bags...there are a few that immediately come to my mind who fit this latter description. Don't buy or bid until you have it authenticated! If you think if you post someone else will buy the bag, pay the $5 to $7 to have it authenticated yourself, then bid or buy. If you are a seller, even if you bought the bag directly from Chanel, have it authenticated by one of the two I mentioned. This gives you and your buyer peace of mind, as they will be able to contact said authentication service and know before they bid/buy that the bag is authentic. Why "waste" this $5 to $7 if you know you bought it from Chanel, have all receipts, etc.? Because that way you and your buyer will know 100% that this bag is authentic, and it also protects the seller if the buyer tries to claim the bag is not authentic (read some of the horror stories on the ebay board regarding Chanel bags...it is not for the feint of heart).

Informed and educated buyers and sellers make for great transactions, whereas the opposite leads to disappointment and problems. Do you have to know everything about a bag to buy second hand? Nope. I just suggested the very very basic information that you can readily get that is reliable and you don't have to be an expert to find or interpret. Leave the expert authentication process to the professionals. But do use common sense please, and use your basic abilities to do minimal research. This is true whether buying a Chanel bag, a car, a house, or any other transaction that involves unknown variables. You'd not buy a house without an inspection, right? Would you buy a used car sight unseen? Most would not do either of these things without consulting a professional. Please just think and do the basics then everyone will have a happier and easier life.

Please note that none of my posts to this thread are meant to demean, slander, lecture, or any other nefarious bad thing(s). They are meant to inform and educate. We are all here because of a shared love/interest/compulsion/addiction. Let's just all do it the safest way we can. :smile:

Very informative advices ladies!!! Keep us all informed. :smile: thank you again OP for opening this thread. This is definitely an eye opener. I'm really sorry for anyone who lost their hard earned money for this bag and karma will come back to those who do wrong. :sad:

I only listed the bag on ebay after paying for an authentication through My Poupette, they said it was authentic. In fact they are still insisting it is authentic, here is their reply to me after I told them I had learned that the bag was infact not authentic.

"I have obtained another opinion from a colleague (Catherine). Her opinion is that this Chanel bag is authentic.

When authenticating, we review the overall item for quality of workmanship, style and CHANEL characteristics. Based upon the photos provided, we feel this bag is authentic.

Unless there is an egregious inconsistency between the style of a bag and its sticker number, we would not discount authenticity based exclusively upon the serial number being “too high."

As you probably know, CHANEL produces flap bags in both France and Italy. The bag in the attached photos has a Made in France label of origin with an 18 Series sticker. 18xxxxxx Series sticker items were produced in late 2013. All of this bag’s key features such as materials, assembly, finishing, hallmark, design and sticker, appear as we would expect to see for this style.

Please let us know if we can provide any other information or assistance."

I posted on here not to try to see if I could still sell it as an authentic piece but to get all the facts and a straight reply from the experts on TPF so I would have evidence to present to the seller of this bag and my credit card company. I am definitely going with the advice from the ladies here on TPF and esp Tutu (you have been so helpful!) as you are experts on Chanel and this bag in particular, where as My Poupette certainly is not. This company has been very unprofessional i.e. I paid for a 5 day turn around and they took about 8 days even after followup on my part. They will not offer me a refund or partial refund, only a free one day authentication (which I don't want, as I do not trust them). I will be utilizing Etinceler Authentications or Authenticate4U for any other authentications I need. They also sound like they charge less. I paid $25 to My Poupette.