Why do I care what others think...does anyone else do the same?!

nikki2304

Jan 3, 2014
Ok so I finally managed to purchase a bag I've wanted for ages which is the Louis Vuitton Alma in amarante MM size. My bf has went and told everyone how much I paid for this bag despite me telling him not too. Now everyone is passing comments as because it's vernis is doesn't look like its worth it and calling me crazy etc as it looks like plastic so on...

And also I've had no compliments lol! I just get the 'oh right, yeh' stare when people see it. Now I don't think this is jealousy as these are from older people that have no care for fashion. But it has made me feel insecure about my purchase and I am considering returning the item as £1580 is a lot of money to spend for people to be confusing it with plastic!!

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences or if I am just being pathetic lol!!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I myself would be upset with the BF for telling everyone the price and would try to figure out why he did that. If it happened to me I would return the bag (if I hadn't used it) and get the first issue worked out before I purchased another bag.

When I did purchase another bag I would not take the BF with me nor tell him the price. I only say I would return the bag because once something is made a big deal of in a negative way I couldn't enjoy it or put up with the stressful comments.

I asked him this and it's because he believes that it is not important so it's no big deal and the fact I paid the price I did means I have made it a big deal for even making the purchase so he feels people should know. He then decided that the one slip he made was because he was drunk which is rubbish as he told someone else whilst being sober.

He has done this before. I purchased some expensive earrings the other day and have just decided it's easier to tell him they were half the cost and are real silver even though it's just costume jewellery lol

I am so sorry this happened to you. I remember the Alma in Vernis Amarante was all the rage when it first came out. It is a gorgeous bag on a classic and timeless design. Personally I prefer Vernis to the Monogram every time, even the Damier which is too common these days. I think you made the right decision if you want a timeless piece and please don't let those other people get to you. As for the price, that's just what LV and all the premiere designers charge these days. And the comments will pass, and if they say things to your face, tell them how hurtful and mean spirited they are being and don't ignore them, confront them and stand up for yourself and your gorgeous bag. Gotta love that amarante, best color in vernis in my book, if I could afford it I'd get it in a heartbeat.

This is a relationship thread, really. Bf essentially tainted a purchase you were excited about--he made you feel awkward and disregarded your feelings, and that's worse than what others think, since it's your chosen personal life.

Your beautiful bag does not look like plastic.

Best to address this issue with the bf and get square on whether he understands and cares about this behavior.

Sorry it essentially was other peoples thoughts on if I should return/sell it but yes I can see how this is a relationship thread also. If I need to repost can someone let me know.

He now feels because I have been focusing on this bag the lAst few days he has had enough of the conversation.

I just worry the vernis is too 'in your face' as I've had this comment too believe it or not!

Oh, if you love the bag, you should keep it. Everyone has an opinion on everything - can't let that determine your choices. They'll get over it and stop commenting. Lots of people love the vernis Alma, otherwise, why does LV keep producing it? ;)

Sorry that happened to you!

Of course one could always say "it matters how you feel about it, not others."

But I also want to say this:
I think if people that are not into fashion and of age don't like your bag it is no big deal. I am sure many young to middle aged women would go crazy over your bag. ;)

I personally think it is a great LV bag and not as over worn as some other designs (at least here)

It sounds like it might be time to take a look at who you are hanging out with! Seriously.

Enjoy your bag. It only matters if you like it.

It's a gorgeous bag, and I definitely find it subtle compared other LV bags. I'm sorry that your bf broke your trust and told everyone the price. I'm really shocked at that on multiple levels.

I hope you can move past this awkwardness with the bag to fall back in love with it!

I would probably get really upset and humiliated if my BF did that to me. I would probably threaten to break up with him. Sorry you had to go through that OP. That sucks. Just enjoy your bag and who cares what other people think. My mom and my relatives like to talk smack about my bags too, but I just ignore them and enjoy them. Life is short, just enjoy it!

Next time you go shopping....leave your bf at home!
What you paid for your bag is no one business. It's your money for heaven's sake!
Yet, I understand that you don't look at your LV the same way as before.
It happened to me too. With clothes....
But it doesn't mean you don't like your bag any more, only that what people think has a strong impact on you and can make you change your mind, maybe about other things as well.
Stick to what you like. Stand your ground.
Personally, I used to be like you, until I decided that I am free to do what I want as long as I don't hurt anyone....

Try it on with different outfits and see if you still like it. Correct the BF. He may not have known he was doing anything wrong.

Is this a big bag? That might concern me in the patent since I'm not fond of attention. I would love a smaller alma, though.

Yes, I care what others think, but I don't make decisions based solely on what they think. I like to know what they think and factor it in. Usually I can address an objection by restyling the outfit. I wouldn't carry an attention-getting bag if I wasn't feeling very confident that day. Carry your bag with confidence.

That being said, I do love to carry my big turquoise tote! It just works for me. So if that is how the bag makes you feel, then it's a keeper. The comments will pass.

You don't think older people are incapable of jealousy? They are. They think, "I'm older and make more money, why don't I have a luxurious bag?". One time in a shop I carried my LV Alma Vernis in PM and an old lady said to her friend, "Must be fake, she's too young to afford an expensive bag". I just looked at them with a disgusted face and stroked my bag lovingly. Lol.

Next time you go shopping....leave your bf at home!
What you paid for your bag is no one business. It's your money for heaven's sake!
Yet, I understand that you don't look at your LV the same way as before.
It happened to me too. With clothes....
But it doesn't mean you don't like your bag any more, only that what people think has a strong impact on you and can make you change your mind, maybe about other things as well.
Stick to what you like. Stand your ground.
Personally, I used to be like you, until I decided that I am free to do what I want as long as I don't hurt anyone....

This! All day, all night!