Epi peeling

Cleda

O.G.
Nov 8, 2011
I've been using my Alma Epi on and off for 3 years now. I happened to lift up the clochette and noticed that the epi leather on the base of one handle is peeling from the edge.

It seems to have been caused by the clochette rubbing against it.

What would you do?
1. Remove the clochette to prevent further damage (but the current damage will be visible)
2. Keep it as it is to hide the damage (but the peeling nay worsen)

Oh noooooo I'm gearing up to buy an Epi Alma! :cry:

Don't let this stop you. In fact I only noticed this damage when I was scrutinising my bag and admiring how new and perfect it still looks after 3 years. If you do get one, maybe remove the clochette from day 1 to prevent my problem.

Don't let this stop you. In fact I only noticed this damage when I was scrutinising my bag and admiring how new and perfect it still looks after 3 years. If you do get one, maybe remove the clochette from day 1 to prevent my problem.
That isn't a bad idea. I wish I had thought to remove my locks from my Speedies before storing them (so many years ago)... now they have saggy holes. It is probably similar wear and tear. I would probably take the clochette off now though!

Here's a photo. It is quite a tiny spot, but because the peeled area is a much lighter grey compared to the black bag, it may be quite obvious if I remove the clochette. Probably nobody else will notice it but it will be screaming at me.

Attachments

• Upload.jpg
    Upload.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 884
That isn't a bad idea. I wish I had thought to remove my locks from my Speedies before storing them (so many years ago)... now they have saggy holes. It is probably similar wear and tear. I would probably take the clochette off now though!

Aww, I feel your pain... We're all wiser in hindsight!

Seeing your pic, I don't think anyone will notice but you! I know it will drive you nuts, maybe they can replace the tab if it will really trouble you? I'd probably color it in with Sharpie :whistle:

Seeing your pic, I don't think anyone will notice but you! I know it will drive you nuts, maybe they can replace the tab if it will really trouble you? I'd probably color it in with Sharpie :whistle:

For some reason it looks so small in the pic. But I swear it is a gazillion times more obvious in reality! :P

I do use a Sharpie or old mascara wand to colour in peels in my black shoes. But I guess at the moment it's not that bad so I don't want to mess with it too much.

Oh yes replacing the tab! I assumed that the whole handle has to be replaced, but you're right, it's just the tab! I'd ask about the cost of replacement next time I pass by a boutique.

For some reason it looks so small in the pic. But I swear it is a gazillion times more obvious in reality! :P

I do use a Sharpie or old mascara wand to colour in peels in my black shoes. But I guess at the moment it's not that bad so I don't want to mess with it too much.

Oh yes replacing the tab! I assumed that the whole handle has to be replaced, but you're right, it's just the tab! I'd ask about the cost of replacement next time I pass by a boutique.
I totally understand! In real life, you can actually feel it and know there's a problem. Please update if you ever do get a replacement estimate. I'm highly considering epi, but afraid to pull the trigger for reasons like this. Canvas seems more carefree.

Oh my.. Sorry this happened to your epi.. I really love epi leather and i thought its a very durable material.
What if you bring back to LV and ask them to fix for you ? I dont know how much will it cost, but at least your bag is in the expert hand.

Here's a photo. It is quite a tiny spot, but because the peeled area is a much lighter grey compared to the black bag, it may be quite obvious if I remove the clochette. Probably nobody else will notice it but it will be screaming at me.

Gosh I don't think it looks very tiny at all! It would bother me especially since it's at the front. It also looks like it will peel even more if you keep the clochette on, no? How about taking it to lv to see what your options are? If you get it fixed, might be a good idea to take out the clochette permanently. I think the alma looks great either way.

Oh my.. Sorry this happened to your epi.. I really love epi leather and i thought its a very durable material.
What if you bring back to LV and ask them to fix for you ? I dont know how much will it cost, but at least your bag is in the expert hand.

I am fully intending to bring back to LV to show them. Even if they won't fix it for me because it's been 3 years and the purchase was made in Paris while on holiday, they should be made aware of this 'design flaw'. It's not like I bought a clochette to attach to my bag, it came with it!

Gosh I don't think it looks very tiny at all! It would bother me especially since it's at the front. It also looks like it will peel even more if you keep the clochette on, no? How about taking it to lv to see what your options are? If you get it fixed, might be a good idea to take out the clochette permanently. I think the alma looks great either way.

I've just removed the clochette and saw that another small area above is affected too. :sad:

It is rather obvious due to the colour difference.

Attachments

• DSC_0937.JPG
    DSC_0937.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 710