Getting my hair cut tomorrow....need advice :)

Sep 30, 2008
I have not gotten my hair cut in about 8 months or so, and its getting unruly (no split ends or dry, I just feel like I cant make it look decent any more). I am very fair skinned and have naturally super dark brown hair (looks black if im not in sunlight/bright lighting). My hair is very thick and wavy (poofy uneven wavy) but I always use a flat iron. Its about 5" past my shoulders at this point.

I would love suggestions (and pics!) of cuts/styles that would look good with my face shape/ complexion/hair color/glasses. Anything that could be accomplished with a 1" flat iron fairly easily would be great as far as styling.

I will attach a pic of myself and maybe one or two hair styles im thinking about. I have no problem cutting it short so feel free to suggest anything! (I probably would not go for super short styles though, no pixie cuts :smile: ) I do like long hair, but I can never figure out how to style it. I also feel like I look strange with long dark hair and my complexion.

Attachments

• 20140506_175010.jpg
    20140506_175010.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 475
You look cute!

You and I have a similar face shape and the same glasses! (Sort of.) I am blonde, though. I would love to have high contrast features!

We may also have the same hair, although mine is probably thicker and more unruly than yours. I always go for Natalie Morales' hair style:

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060608/nbc_Morales_Natalie.grid-3x2.jpg

Longer than this would look good too. If done well, this style grows out really well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iBfansEunJI/TbTQssAlHbI/AAAAAAAAMmU/H1DY6KqIjhw/s1600/NatMo420112.jpg

I would style with more volume on the top. Start with the flat iron an inch or so from your scalp, and your natural body might create a little more poufiness near the crown of your head. Do you blowdry your hair straight before you flatiron? That will keep it smooth enough near your scalp, then you can flatiron the rest of your hair and still have a little volume near your scalp.

Ok!! I have a very similar face shape and basically had your haircut. I am brunette and light completed with freckles. I recently cut 3 inches off!! I don't flat iron but I do use the large barreled curing iron and do big waves... This cut is similar to mine, although mine is not "stacked" in back. I am loving it for summer.....ImageUploadedByPurseForum1404863639.864290.jpg

I think the above suggestions are great...I also want to add something like this how it goes from short in the back to long in the front...that might look cute and different or probably starting from your chin going down have like choppy layers at 1 in intervals...hope you love your new hair :cool:

Attachments

• short-haircuts-for-long-face-and-fine-hair.jpg
    short-haircuts-for-long-face-and-fine-hair.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 373
have you considered embracing your waves instead of flat ironing?
If you have a hairdresser who understands curly hair you could ask him/her to cut some long layers in, use some styling product (gel or something like that) and diffuse. Maybe with proper product and styling your hair wouldn't be poofy. This can also be affected by climate though. If you're in a humid place, it's harder to fight poof and frizz.

Ok!! I have a very similar face shape and basically had your haircut. I am brunette and light completed with freckles. I recently cut 3 inches off!! I don't flat iron but I do use the large barreled curing iron and do big waves... This cut is similar to mine, although mine is not "stacked" in back. I am loving it for summer.....View attachment 2680348
My hairstyle is a longer version of this cut and I love it. I used to fight with my poofy hair but finally asked my stylist to give me a cut that would highlight my natural curls or that I could flat iron. I usually flat iron or barrel curl but it's nice being able to wash and go as well. I think this cut would look cute on you! Oh, and one thing I like about the stacked back is the curl underneath will give your hair volume even if you flat iron or barrel curl.

Ok!! I have a very similar face shape and basically had your haircut. I am brunette and light completed with freckles. I recently cut 3 inches off!! I don't flat iron but I do use the large barreled curing iron and do big waves... This cut is similar to mine, although mine is not "stacked" in back. I am loving it for summer.....View attachment 2680348

I think the above suggestions are great...I also want to add something like this how it goes from short in the back to long in the front...that might look cute and different or probably starting from your chin going down have like choppy layers at 1 in intervals...hope you love your new hair :cool:

Thanks for the pictures! I really like those short cuts, I actually already had one of those pics printed! I ended up calling to cancel my hair appointment because I havnt decided yet...

have you considered embracing your waves instead of flat ironing?
If you have a hairdresser who understands curly hair you could ask him/her to cut some long layers in, use some styling product (gel or something like that) and diffuse. Maybe with proper product and styling your hair wouldn't be poofy. This can also be affected by climate though. If you're in a humid place, it's harder to fight poof and frizz.

My hairstyle is a longer version of this cut and I love it. I used to fight with my poofy hair but finally asked my stylist to give me a cut that would highlight my natural curls or that I could flat iron. I usually flat iron or barrel curl but it's nice being able to wash and go as well. I think this cut would look cute on you! Oh, and one thing I like about the stacked back is the curl underneath will give your hair volume even if you flat iron or barrel curl.

Thanks...I ended up canceling my hair appt for now, because I could not decided if I wanted to cut it short or leave it long. I just moved here, so it a new salon I'm going to. Its pretty expensive so I want to be sure of what I want.

I might try to curl my hair a bit when I use my flat iron...I watched some videos of people doing it so I will have to practice I think lol I am so bad when it comes to doing my hair...

You look cute!

You and I have a similar face shape and the same glasses! (Sort of.) I am blonde, though. I would love to have high contrast features!

We may also have the same hair, although mine is probably thicker and more unruly than yours. I always go for Natalie Morales' hair style:

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060608/nbc_Morales_Natalie.grid-3x2.jpg

Longer than this would look good too. If done well, this style grows out really well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iBfansEunJI/TbTQssAlHbI/AAAAAAAAMmU/H1DY6KqIjhw/s1600/NatMo420112.jpg

I would style with more volume on the top. Start with the flat iron an inch or so from your scalp, and your natural body might create a little more poufiness near the crown of your head. Do you blowdry your hair straight before you flatiron? That will keep it smooth enough near your scalp, then you can flatiron the rest of your hair and still have a little volume near your scalp.

I usually dont blow dry my hair because it takes *forever*. I think its looks better when I do though. I'm thinking now I might keep the length but get more layers. I'm not sure yet so I'm waiting on the cut...

Thanks...I ended up canceling my hair appt for now, because I could not decided if I wanted to cut it short or leave it long. I just moved here, so it a new salon I'm going to. Its pretty expensive so I want to be sure of what I want.

I might try to curl my hair a bit when I use my flat iron...I watched some videos of people doing it so I will have to practice I think lol I am so bad when it comes to doing my hair...
have you gone for a consult at the new salon?
If you go have a consult and talk to the stylist about your ideas and what he/she can do, you might feel more confident.
If not, you could have a consult with another stylist or two to find one you think will do the best job for you

This is a really cute hair cut / style! Would be great for summer!

You have pretty hair. I've been reticent to cut my long hair short due to the time it takes to grow again. After many years I found a brilliant stylist and have been seeing him since (eight years). He gives me layers and retains most of the length, trimming the layers as time goes on. He does such a great job at styling that I see him only about three to four times a year. I never have that awkward grow-out phase because his cuts are so good.

Sometimes he puts in more layers, but the length stays similar, about four inches below the shoulder. I don't think of it as a style per se, just a great job at cutting. The ends of the layers don't stick out, just flow. It looks good after a blow dry, and really great when I use hot rollers; or regular rollers under a hood dryer. Sometimes I take a flat iron to it and it looks nice that way, too. Good luck.