Nylon City - Yay, or Nay?

This is an anathema to me; the antithesis of what Balenciaga was founded on (e.g., the LEATHER!). I think AW was not the right choice of a designer for this line; hopefully they will see this before he totally destroys the brand.

Very good points... I'm sure this is especially hard for Bal "oldies" like you and some others here on this forum, CeeJay. I just got into Bal last year, and I was like, "Balenciaga City in nylon? Wha?!" when my friend told me she saw one online... you must have been like "WTH!!!!" :lol:

I don't have any problem with Balenciaga making nylon bags on principle - everyone can use a good nylon bag that will weather all the elements. I don't know about making it in the same shape as the City - maybe they could've done that differently.
Having said that, I think its insane to think that a nylon bag justifies the same price tag as their leather bags. I don't care how high quality the nylon is, the price is not even remotely justified.

Agree. It's like he's trying to reinvent the wheel. Just leave it alone - stop trying to ruin a good thing.

I agree. At first I was excited about his appointment as I love his AW line, but he shouldn't be messing with perfection. Add if you want but leave the classics as they are. Don't change them!

:tup: to beaux and gazoo's comments

This nylon version could work for me. I love Prada nylon for it's wearability. But I doubt I'd buy this one at full price since Longchamps nylon works for me and it's affordable enough that if wrecked I'm not heartbroken.

I am digging the rubber hardware though.

Other than the fact he messed with a classic... yes, the price is really just way too high for me (for a nylon bag), considering the leather version is the same price!

Agree. It's like he's trying to reinvent the wheel. Just leave it alone - stop trying to ruin a good thing.

.. and what really slays me, is that if you go into the Balenciaga boutiques, the SA's keep on trying to schlep that f-ug "Le Dix" of his, telling people that the "original" style is dated! WTF??? :cray: :wtf:

They obviously have been told to do that, but it's going to be to their detriment. I know from various friends of mine that work retail, that AW's-designed bags are an EPIC FAIL and are not selling. I expect to see them at the discount tables and feel really sorry for anyone who bought one at full retail .. 'cos they are never going to realize their cost!

.. and what really slays me, is that if you go into the Balenciaga boutiques, the SA's keep on trying to schlep that f-ug "Le Dix" of his, telling people that the "original" style is dated! WTF??? :cray: :wtf:

They obviously have been told to do that, but it's going to be to their detriment. I know from various friends of mine that work retail, that AW's-designed bags are an EPIC FAIL and are not selling. I expect to see them at the discount tables and feel really sorry for anyone who bought one at full retail .. 'cos they are never going to realize their cost!

I'm wondering what they're doing with the "Le Dix" bags.

Was in a Bal outlet not too long ago and thought I'd see some but nope, not there.
Are they just burning them? lol..

They are saying the originals are "dated"? :roflmfao: How silly. They are classics.

I asked at a local NM how the new bags were doing and they told me they all sold out. It could be that they only had 3 or 4 in stock ;) I know that my expression was like :thinking:

I don't have any problem with Balenciaga making nylon bags on principle - everyone can use a good nylon bag that will weather all the elements. I don't know about making it in the same shape as the City - maybe they could've done that differently.
Having said that, I think its insane to think that a nylon bag justifies the same price tag as their leather bags. I don't care how high quality the nylon is, the price is not even remotely justified.

Exactly!

Where do Bal bag go to die? I thought the outlets?? lol..

Maybe they give them to celebrities to use as a last-ditch attempt? :giggles: I haven't really seen celebrities wearing the Le Dix bags though. I'm not a celebrity-watcher so maybe I just haven't seen them with the bags? :thinking:

What it seems like to me, is that Balenciaga as a brand is trying to set itself apart from what Nicolas Ghesquiere did for them. They are trying to move on with a new look so that they aren't forever associated with what he created. But what they are forgetting is that no one was paying much attention to Balenciaga anymore, until Nicolas came along. It can go back to being that way again if they are not careful.

What it seems like to me, is that Balenciaga as a brand is trying to set itself apart from what Nicolas Ghesquiere did for them. They are trying to move on with a new look so that they aren't forever associated with what he created. But what they are forgetting is that no one was paying much attention to Balenciaga anymore, until Nicolas came along. It can go back to being that way again if they are not careful.

Excellent point, Rainne. A. Wang has big shoes to fill, and he might be thinking (incorrectly) that in order to make his mark, he has to erase that of his predecessor's. NG was credited with bringing Bal back to the forefront, and that alone would be in any successor's mind. I must admit, A. Wang/Bal has been making a lot of questionable moves.