Found a baby owl in my yard today... cuteness inside!!

Corrinne

bad spellers untie!
Nov 2, 2006
My dog was out side sniffing around a lot this morning, so we went to go see what he was so interested in and saw this little guy... probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. We live in the woods and have a family of Barred Owls that live in the trees in our front yard, and he must have fallen out of his nest. He was fine and unharmed, just chilling out on the leaves. We gave him food (wet dog food as suggested) and some water and kept an eye on him all afternoon (we were told the mama owl would probably pick him up eventually).

dsc03119nn4.jpg

dsc03124jz7.jpg

dsc03123pp3.jpg

Heres the parent owl a few days ago, huge mean looking thing
dsc03118ea9.jpg

OMG OMG he is sooo cute! He doesn't even look real!!!

I hope the mama owl reclaims him.

Let me know if I can help you track down any wildlife rescues if she doesn't...you are so sweet to help the little fella! :smile:

after watching the little guy all day from a distance, the mama did not claim him and it was starting to get HOT out. too hot for him. we contacted animal controll earlier and they are the ones who told us about the wet dog food, and to take him to a certain vetranarian a few towns over who will take care of him (if not picked up by the mama) until a bird rescue/sanctuary will pick him up and raise him well. BUT he is fine and wil be treated very well from here on out. I did sit with him outside for a while this morning just to make sure he was ok and not in any pain. he was SO cute, he just kind of watched me and kept dozing off, moved around a bit, took another nap.. he was very calm.

:yes:

YAY for you--it's so great that you are taking care of the little muffin!!! :yahoo:

Wildlife rehabilitation places do great things with the animals they help--this little guy will likely grow up and be released into the wild! If he can't be released into the wild (or chooses to stay) he could still have a happy life. YAY for you again!