Oddly ambivalent about my new Coach

ruemode

Ridin' and Stylin'
Dec 10, 2006
Okay, so I cut my designer "teeth" on Coach. My first briefcase, diaper bag, handbag were all Coach. But in the past few years, I've branched out, and am aiming for more exclusive and unique brands (Kooba, Prada, Botkier, Be & D, Burberry, etc.). It's been awhile since I've bought a new Coach, but 3 weeks ago, I was in a Coach outlet, and found this beauty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWTS-COACH-Blac...1QQihZ009QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, it was a steal at $165 (RP $458), and it's kinda boho-chic, roomy, and durable. Hits all my marks, but after I got it, I wondered, "Is Coach Passe?" I know there have been threads like this in the past, but as concerns this particular buy - do y'all think it was a good one?

I took it to dinner with my family, and noticed 3 other women with Coach handbags, just in our dining area alone. Is the cache of Coach a thing of the past?

Okay, so I cut my designer "teeth" on Coach. My first briefcase, diaper bag, handbag were all Coach. But in the past few years, I've branched out, and am aiming for more exclusive and unique brands (Kooba, Prada, Botkier, Be & D, Burberry, etc.). It's been awhile since I've bought a new Coach, but 3 weeks ago, I was in a Coach outlet, and found this beauty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWTS-COACH-Blac...1QQihZ009QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, it was a steal at $165 (RP $458), and it's kinda boho-chic, roomy, and durable. Hits all my marks, but after I got it, I wondered, "Is Coach Passe?" I know there have been threads like this in the past, but as concerns this particular buy - do y'all think it was a good one?

I took it to dinner with my family, and noticed 3 other women with Coach handbags, just in our dining area alone. Is the cache of Coach a thing of the past?

I guess for *me* I dont care if it is or not. LOL I buy things because I like them, not because other's have it, or its popular or its unpopular!

I will say that living in rural Alaska, I dont see too many Coach's. But Im always looking! HeHe

we've had so many thread about this

the bottom line is

carry what you love and can afford

you obviously don't love this bag, so return it and move on

we shouldn't stress about this stuff, they're just purses

do whatever makes you happy! :yes:

You know, I almost see more LV than coach. I'm not that into LV so I don't know much about fakes, but I'd bet many of them are fakes. Same with coach. Sad, but true. Plus, I think with some of the styles of the past few years, coach marketed itself toward a younger demographic. I don't want straw purses with fish all over them. That's just me. However, I love coach's leather bags. They last & develop a gorgeous patina comparable to bags that cost a thousand or more. I'm considering a Hermes, but I also have an ameribag that cost like $40 which I adore. It's all about what I like & what will fit into my life. I don't care if it's considered passe.

You are asking is Coach is passe in the Coach forum. :roflmfao: Obviously, we don't think so or we wouldn't be participating here!

As for this particular bag, it is far more rare than others. I've never seen it on anyone myself.

But previous posters are correct. The only thing that matters if if you love the bag, and it sounds like you don't. The best price on a bag is no deal if you don't love it!

You know, I almost see more LV than coach. I'm not that into LV so I don't know much about fakes, but I'd bet many of them are fakes. Same with coach. Sad, but true. Plus, I think with some of the styles of the past few years, coach marketed itself toward a younger demographic. I don't want straw purses with fish all over them. That's just me. However, I love coach's leather bags. They last & develop a gorgeous patina comparable to bags that cost a thousand or more. I'm considering a Hermes, but I also have an ameribag that cost like $40 which I adore. It's all about what I like & what will fit into my life. I don't care if it's considered passe.

Amytude - I agree with you - the "young stuff" I automatically pass by. I go for more classic styles. They've been BIG on colors lately (ala Balenciaga?), but invariably, I find myself drawn to leather bags, which do, as you say, age really well.

I totally agree with Court if you dont love it dont keep it.
Ironically, I do love it. I loved it when I saw it, and love it still. But strangely, I was affected by all the Coaches out at dinner that night, that took the shine off the apple a little bit. I am going to keep it though - it's a perfect fit with my lifestyle, and I love it's look...

You are asking is Coach is passe in the Coach forum. :roflmfao: Obviously, we don't think so or we wouldn't be participating here!

As for this particular bag, it is far more rare than others. I've never seen it on anyone myself.

But previous posters are correct. The only thing that matters if if you love the bag, and it sounds like you don't. The best price on a bag is no deal if you don't love it!
Haute Mama - you are right! In fact, I started this thread in Handbags & purses, and it was moved - I kinda wanted a broader audience to answer the question, but it's appropriate that it ended up here, b/c like you all, I love Coach, too. It's probably just a question now of what I'm looking for with my money: a good quality beautiful purse, or that PLUS a little cache. Does that make sense? I have yet to figure out the answer....I do love the fact that this is a rare model, though - I hadn't seen anything like it when I grabbed it, either. And that's one more reason I think I'm gonna hang on to it! :yes: