Hermès Unveils Nautilus Pen

tammywks

O.G.
Feb 20, 2007
Source: WWD

Hermès on Thursday unveiled the Nautilus, a capless pen conceived by Australian industrial designer Marc Newson and developed with Japanese company Pilot. It marks the launch of a new category of objects which also includes notebooks, writing paper and leather accessories. Made of solid aluminum and stainless steel, with a rhodium-plated white gold nib, the fountain pen is available in six nib widths. Ink cartridges come in black and carbon blue, in addition to three colors exclusive to Hermès: H red, ebony and blood orange. The pen is also available in a ballpoint version with two widths.
Holding aloft a tiny orange box containing six ink cartridges, Hermès artistic director Pierre-Alexis Dumas noted it would be the cheapest item available in the brand’s stores, priced 7 euros, or $9.50 at current exchange.He recalled that shortly after meeting Newson, he found out the designer used the same Pilot Capless fountain pen favored by his father, the late Jean-Louis Dumas, but had never designed a pen himself. “He is a prolific designer, but he had not touched that object, so that of course triggered an interest in me,” Dumas recalled.
Newson said that despite its apparent simplicity, the pen took three years to perfect as it involves fitting a rotating mechanism into a very small space. “This is the most complex object you could hope to design from an industrial design perspective,” he noted.

The designer always sketches his ideas by hand. “There’s nothing which is more spontaneous than using a pen and a paper, you know, because it’s so gestural. You simply can’t work like that on a computer,” said Newson, who said there was “a real concern” that younger generations are forsaking penmanship.
Dumas was more optimistic.

“I am convinced that as long as we have five fingers on each hand, we will continue to write,” he said. “It’s a moment where you are alone and when you can put your thoughts on paper. You can do that of course with a computer and we all do it, but there’s a sensuality in the experience of writing that nothing to my knowledge has replaced.”

Ohhh sounds interesting.. When is it coming out?? Is it released yet?? I guess I would be getting all three H colors then! (Looking for an affordable 'training' fountain pen)

Woo hoo - so I can get an Hermes and a calligraphy fix all at the same time. Yes! ( punches the sky).
I love the leather bound pencils but they are just for show items really - has anybody really tried to sharpen such a thing after use? But these sound sooooo usable and despite the fact I work in IT there is nothing to beat pen (or pencil) and paper.

Oh, I can't wait to see this! Thanks for sharing this. I'm in a writing-heavy profession and love to draft and edit by hand, so I'm intrigued to see what new style and functionality H might bring to the table.

ETA: Just saw the H Instagram account has some pics. Interesting. Wonder whether it'll actually be comfortable to grip with those angles. http://web.stagram.com/n/hermes/

Last edited:
Oh, I can't wait to see this! Thanks for sharing this. I'm in a writing-heavy profession and love to draft and edit by hand, so I'm intrigued to see what new style and functionality H might bring to the table.

ETA: Just saw the H Instagram account has some pics. Interesting. Wonder whether it'll actually be comfortable to grip with those angles. http://web.stagram.com/n/hermes/

Thanks for the link, calexandre. Let me post the pics here.

Ohhh sounds interesting.. When is it coming out?? Is it released yet?? I guess I would be getting all three H colors then! (Looking for an affordable 'training' fountain pen)

Not yet released as the collection was just shown to the press on 3rd July.

Anyone seen any pictures of this pen? I note that they also making a ballpoint version

Here you go.

Credit: Hermes IG
hermes pen 2.jpg
hermes pen.jpg
hermes pen 3.jpg
hermes pen 5.jpg
hermes pen 4.jpg
hermes pen6.jpg

And below are Marc Newson's favorite things including the Pilot inks and pen.
Credit: The Wall Street Journal
marc newson.jpg
"Above are my Pilot inks and pen—I love writing with them, getting ink on my fingers." Marc Newson said.

I was under the impression the price is for the inks. I imagine the pen will be VERY expensive, alas.

My guess would be $300-500 range. Would love if it were less, but it's Hermes, gold nib, etc.