My first red jumbo

Clathrin

Jun 24, 2013
Hello everyone! The mailman brought my much anticipated package today. After seeing this in person, I was wondering if I should keep it. Here's a couple of things that I'm unsure of:
  1. Is it too big for me?
  2. I was expecting shiny, bright SHW, instead I got aged ruthenium. Is the red jumbo only made with this hardware for this season? What do you guys think of this combo?

I absolutely love the color, but I'm debating if I should go for something smaller. Is the large flap slightly better for my size? Thanks for letting me share!

P.S. Excuse the color clash and bare feet, I tore into the package as soon as I got home :cool:

Attachments

• tpf4.jpg
    tpf4.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 1,541
  • tpf3.jpg
    tpf3.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 1,562
  • tpf1.jpg
    tpf1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,489
  • tpf2.jpg
    tpf2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,491
Last edited:
Hello everyone! The mailman brought my much anticipated package today. After seeing this in person, I was wondering if I should keep it. Here's a couple of things that I'm unsure of:
  1. Is it too big for me?
  2. I was expecting shiny, bright SHW, instead I got aged ruthenium. Is the red jumbo only made with this hardware for this season? What do you guys think of this combo?

I absolutely love the color, but I'm debating if I should go for something smaller. Is the large flap slightly better for my size? Thanks for letting me share!

P.S. Excuse the color clash and bare feet, I tore into the package as soon as I got home :cool:

I would prefer a smaller size and shorter chain strap for you. But it all depends on how you feel.

1. Is it too big for me?

I think the bag looks great double strap on you. I have this exact bag, so I am a little biased, but I think it is STUNNING! I am 5'4" and prefer jumbos, but I am too short to wear the jumbo on one strap, so I always double them. If you want to wear it single strap then I think the m/l would be better. If you have any doubt, then I would not keep the bag. They are too expensive to have doubts. However, I think it is amazing. The RED is stunning and I think the RHW makes it look understatedly chic.

1. Is it too big for me?

Congrats on your first red jumbo! I actually really like the ruthenium hardware, but it's you who has to love it--it is the only choice for hardware for red this season. The red is just lovely. I don't think any bag is too big for someone. Just ask yourself if the weight of the bag works for you, does it fit what you need inside, and is it something you will carry often, as this is a size to be used during the day (not so much for evening events). If you want a bag that goes day to night, then the M/L size is more of a choice for that.

Honestly I think it looks too big on your frame , and m/l would fit you better.

However, from my own experience for Chanel, I have a good lesson now. I decided to pick m/l for my first classic flap, and ending up not using it often due to its super compact size. My frame also looks better with m/l according to the SA.

The gist is you are better focusing on what you will use the bag for. If you want to use it as everyday bag , and can put a lot of thing inside then JUMBO is the choice.

For m/l , if I put my wallet in, it will take almost all of space of the flap.

As for the combo, I truly think it is beautiful.

Last edited:
Thank you for the honest opinions everyone, really appreciate the feedback. DH keeps telling me it's not too big, he probably thinks that if he's consistent with his answer, I will stop asking him.:roflmfao:

Honestly I think it looks too big on your frame , and m/l would fit you better.

However, from my own experience for Chanel, I have a good lesson now. I decided to pick m/l for my first classic flap, and ending up not using it often due to its super compact size. My frame also looks better with m/l according to the SA.

The gist is you are better focusing on what you will use the bag for. If you want to use it as everyday bag , and can put a lot of thing inside then JUMBO is the choice.

For m/l , if I put my wallet in, it will take almost all of space in the flap.

I have a camelia yen wallet and I hate moving the contents of my wallet around. I tend to stick to one till it falls apart/looks disgusting, the previous one lasted 6-7 years. It kinds sounds like I should stick with the jumbo for this reason alone.

I think the bag looks great double strap on you. I have this exact bag, so I am a little biased, but I think it is STUNNING! I am 5'4" and prefer jumbos, but I am too short to wear the jumbo on one strap, so I always double them. If you want to wear it single strap then I think the m/l would be better. If you have any doubt, then I would not keep the bag. They are too expensive to have doubts. However, I think it is amazing. The RED is stunning and I think the RHW makes it look understatedly chic.

I found a neat trick in the Singapore Chanel thread (could be Malaysia) to fix the single strap problem, the girls suggested tying the straps together under the flap to shorten it. I tested it out with a ribbon and it seems to hold up pretty good, maybe you could try it out too! Although I probably won't use it as a crossbody even if I could make it shorter, it still looks too big that way. I like it double strap too!

Congrats on your first red jumbo! I actually really like the ruthenium hardware, but it's you who has to love it--it is the only choice for hardware for red this season. The red is just lovely. I don't think any bag is too big for someone. Just ask yourself if the weight of the bag works for you, does it fit what you need inside, and is it something you will carry often, as this is a size to be used during the day (not so much for evening events). If you want a bag that goes day to night, then the M/L size is more of a choice for that.

Thank you! I don't post very often, but I do read the Chanel forums a lot and always find your posts very helpful to someone who is new to the world of Chanel.

To be honest, after doing a little research on the m/l (and posing with my jumbo for the last hour in front of the mirror), I'm starting to lean towards keeping it. It sounds to me like the m/l is very compact and not what I prefer. When I change bags, I like to just transfer the contents from one to another - camelia yen wallet, sunglasses, small makeup bag (optional), phone and keys. I don't want to re-pack my wallet or leave out anything if I can help it.

Also, I kinda hate to bug my SA for an exchange (I know I'm not supposed to feel that way but I can't help it!).

Meanwhile, if anyone has anything else to say, please keep them coming. I need to be $5500 sure!

First off, congrats on your lovely new Red Chanel! It's a beautiful bag, but I feel your pain in being unsure if you absolutely LOVE everything about it. I think the jumbo size looks great on you, as would the ML size. So it really boils down to what suits your needs & what you're most comfortable with. Can you possibly try on an ML to compare the look to the jumbo?

In regards to the HW, I do like Ruthenium A LOT, but with red my personal preference is SHW. I've been wanting a Red ML or Mini, but I decided to wait for SHW. Although, I've been hearing many people talk about how unique & rare this combo is. What helps me is to take pictures in different lighting & angles, then sort of walk around & catch glimpses of the bag in mirrors around my house lol It helps to get the full effect of the bag. Good luck!

A bag's never too big or too small for someone - you mean you'd never be able to carry more than a few documents to work? :smile:

I love the bag, only concern is whether you love the hardware as you were expecting something else. Do you love it - keep it. You really prefer SHW? Then don't.