Akon's Apology

Jan 23, 2006
0509_akon_bn_fm_3.jpg
TMZ has just received a statement from R&B singer Akon in response to the media firestorm over his onstage simulated sex romp with a 15-year-old during a concert in Trinidad a few weeks ago:

"First, and most important to me, I want to sincerely apologize for the embarrassment and any pain I've caused to the young woman who joined me on-stage, her family and the Trinidad community for the events at my concert in Port of Spain on April 12th.

It was never my intention to embarrass or take advantage of my fans in any way, especially those under the age of 18. That is why we tried to make sure that the club did not admit anyone under 18 in the audience. Somehow, that standard was not met.

Again, I apologize to those concerned and to all my fans and I pledge to all that we will strive to make sure this type of incident does not happen again."

http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/04/akon-axed-by-verizon-over-alleged-fake-rape/

I don't see what the big deal was here...She was 15, there wasn't supposed to be anyone under 18 there. What was she doing there and how did she get in?

...and it sure didn't look like she was offended by what he was doing or upset by it in the picture that I saw with her straddling him while he's laying on the ground...

And WTF was that girl wearing? That's not what a 15 year old girl should be wearing..

I don't care! That 15 year old preacher daughter needs to have her behind beaten for being there in the first place and dressed the way she was! Where were her parents? Why was she there? Parents do not take enough responsibility for their kids today?

I have a 13 year old and he's not going to anyones concert without one of us and we wouldn't be at an Akon concert to begin with.
Akon is an entertainer---he's not responsible for YOUR kids!

I agree with Lamiastella----she didn't look as if she were fighting him off of her. At 15 I would have known to kick him where it counts! 15 is not a baby.

I agree.

The fact that he was under the impression that everyone there was at least 18 years old, combined with the fact that she was dressed WAY older than a normal 15 year old leads me to suspect that he just didn't realize.

Had he been aware she was 15 I doubt this would have happened.

It is the parents responsibility to know where their children are.

Why did he apologize? Unless he KNEW ahead of time she was underage he hasn't done anything wrong cuz he certainly didn't force her into it. She went up there where were the girl's parents? They should be apologizing for not looking after her IMO.

^^He's probably only apologizing at the urging of his record label and publicity folks. I guess they probably just want to nip this in the bud before it goes too far. Next thing you will hear is that the girl and her family is suing Akon and his record label:rolleyes:.

I agree that was WAAY inappropriate for him to do that to a 15 year old plus her attire was one step away from a streetwalker's, but would it really have made it any better if she was 18 or 19 or even 20?? I think it was disgusting what he did to her, no matter how old she was.. it was just gross all around IMO.

I should think so. However I loked at the footage & she certainly didn't seem disturbed by it!!! I would die if my daughter behaved like that!

I agree.

The fact that he was under the impression that everyone there was at least 18 years old, combined with the fact that she was dressed WAY older than a normal 15 year old leads me to suspect that he just didn't realize.

Had he been aware she was 15 I doubt this would have happened.

It is the parents responsibility to know where their children are.

Well said. (And at least he apologized.)

I agree that was WAAY inappropriate for him to do that to a 15 year old plus her attire was one step away from a streetwalker's, but would it really have made it any better if she was 18 or 19 or even 20?? I think it was disgusting what he did to her, no matter how old she was.. it was just gross all around IMO.

although I have no idea what exactly he did, I can imagine... and just to say, I am pretty sure the girl wasn't forced on stage, so she could have declined. not that she wanted that but this isn't a case of harrassment . if you don't like, don't follow the invitation, kwim? (or don't go there in the first place, especially underage etc).