Vintage chanel or a brand new one? Which one do you prefer?

Bear_1224

Jan 16, 2014
I came across a vertical vintage chanel bag, same style as the link below, but in mid-light blue caviar leather!

http://www.fashionphile.com/CHANEL-Vintage-Lambskin-Vertical-Quilt-Jumbo-Flap-Black-60517#

the price is around 2.5k - 3k USD for a vintage jumbo bag.

When I was telling my friends and my family, they were like "why don't you get a new one?"

They think that by adding a bit extra then I can get a new one from the boutique and don't have to worry about its authenticity as well!

I was struggling between getting a vintage or a brand new now.

I think that vintage bags are rare and discontinued so they have their uniqueness.

But brand new is a first hand experience i suppose.

So what will you ladies prefer?

P.S it is my first chanel bag - using my own savings to get it!

If it is your first bag, I would prefer getting the new bag first, u will have no regrets... Especially you experience about the wrapping, camelia... and the excitement during unboxing!

then you can always take time later to find the perfect vintage!

I have some new ones and some vintage and to be honest the quality of vintage chanel is nothing to compare with the new one. One of my 'new' flap, the stiching is already fraying in some spot, but all of my 20-30 yrs old vintage are in perfect condition( stiching, leather and the color of that 22k gold....to die for).

Vintage chanel quality is more comparable to Hermes and the new one is more comparable to other designer bag quality which normaly cost about half the price! If you have a chance, go the shop, touch them and feel them you will see what I mean.

So what do you like quality or experience and most important which one do you like better? If it was me and I have the fund for a new Jumbo flap, I would buy a vintage jumbo and a brand new smaller piece of chanel like the WOC or mini flap with the rest of the money, therefor you have a little bit of both world!:P

Both Jumbo flap in Caviar one in GHW one in SHW

Attachments

• Photo on 2014-07-01 at 09.40.jpg
    Photo on 2014-07-01 at 09.40.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 262
The biggest things I see with the vintage are that the prices are soooo high. Usually vintage has the looks, quality, and valued price that goes along with it. Not "new" prices--no matter how great the quality is compared to the ones today.

That said, I saw a great review on an older Chanel bag (wasn't vintage), and the quality looked absolutely brand new.

If you saw this bag in a shop (Consignment, etc.), would you pay $3K for it?

I have some new ones and some vintage and to be honest the quality of vintage chanel is nothing to compare with the new one. One of my 'new' flap, the stiching is already fraying in some spot, but all of my 20-30 yrs old vintage are in perfect condition( stiching, leather and the color of that 22k gold....to die for).

Vintage chanel quality is more comparable to Hermes and the new one is more comparable to other designer bag quality which normaly cost about half the price! If you have a chance, go the shop, touch them and feel them you will see what I mean.

So what do you like quality or experience and most important which one do you like better? If it was me and I have the fund for a new Jumbo flap, I would buy a vintage jumbo and a brand new smaller piece of chanel like the WOC or mini flap with the rest of the money, therefor you have a little bit of both world!:P

Both Jumbo flap in Caviar one in GHW one in SHW

Wow thanks for telling me all these!
Yup, I once worked in a auction company and a staff told me those old pieces of jewelry (say chanel/cartier etc) are better quality than the new ones as well!

You are smart! as what you suggested, with the same amount of money, you get more than just one bag :P !

To be honest, I like the mid-light caviar jumbo - caviar more durable and the colour is not usually seen on the street -altho its not classic quilted but this makes its vintage character stands out :P

ak1.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-thing/size/y/tid/39342320.jpg

I like your vertical black lambskin as well! it looks more elegant than caviar but I am a bit careless sometimes so caviar should suits me better :biggrin:

thanks for your opinion!!

I like it!!

By the way, my vertical black in picture is also in caviar leather. The caviar leather in vintage pieces are a lot smoother. I am also careless:nuts:, so all my chanel day bag is in caviar or in calf.

Post a picture once you got your bag!!!

The biggest things I see with the vintage are that the prices are soooo high. Usually vintage has the looks, quality, and valued price that goes along with it. Not "new" prices--no matter how great the quality is compared to the ones today.

That said, I saw a great review on an older Chanel bag (wasn't vintage), and the quality looked absolutely brand new.

3K is almost 50% less that the new price though and if you are patience enough you will get one in almost brand new condition too for that price.

3k for a vintage i think it is reasonable as in,, what can you actually get in the Chanel boutique with 3k now? a mini? the prices of chanel bags rise like rocket over these years ...

What a dilemma you have.:smile:

Agree with sugaryblue if this is your FIRST and you are using your savings. Plus if you are young and has a job ;):biggrin:

With the vintage way, you will have to look patiently for the "right" piece and when you found one, you need to get it authenticated. It is a longer process.

(p/s: I am also a newbie - Chanel got my attention after I bought a pre-loved for my DIL. Eversince then I have been doing 'research' and gaining exposure to vintage pieces. I agree with missh1973 and I would pick up a piece or two if something nice comes along.)