A great bag can elevate whatever you are wearing. Agree or Disagree?

jaffa

wants more bags
O.G.
Oct 3, 2005
I've heard the saying that accessories make the outfit. But lately I feel like my bags are too nice for the way I dress. I'm a plus-sized lady, and so my clothing options can be limited. I do the best I can, but the fancier the bag, the more awkward I feel carrying it with my hum drum wardrobe.

I have a super informal workplace (jeans and t-shirts, my female boss even wears shorts!) so I feel self conscious carrying the new Fendi 2Jours I just got for example. I'm always attracted to these structured, lady-like styles, but sometimes I feel like I should stick to practical cross bodies or slouchy hobos based on my clothes. I do have some of those. But they are definitely in the minority in my collection.

Am I being paranoid? I know I've seen many photos of you gals rocking your best bags with T-shirts and jeans, or similar. Maybe I'm just not confident enough to pull it off?

What do you think?

I always wear jeans and teeshirts too. I also have all sorts of bags, structured or unstructured, hobos or totes, crossbodies etc. Like Dcooney4 who posted above, I just wear the bag that fits my mood that day. No stereotypes....

I try to put together an outfit based on design rather than how nice a piece is. I like to mix nicer pieces with less expensive items in a thoughtful way.

For example, if the bag I want to carry has certain lines, shapes, colors or textures, I'll try to repeat that in an outfit.

Jeans and tee shirts can look sloppy or more pulled together depending on how they fit. Add interesting earrings, a manicure or shoes, and the outfit is elevated.

First, you are far from alone in being an accessories kind of a gal, especially at TPF. Some of the coolest looks out there combine very simple clothing--tee and jeans, for example--with a great bag. If a beautiful bag (or special watch, or ring, etc.), makes you feel great, that's the "elevation" we're all after! Relax and enjoy your pretty things.:smile:

first, you are far from alone in being an accessories kind of a gal, especially at tpf. Some of the coolest looks out there combine very simple clothing--tee and jeans, for example--with a great bag. If a beautiful bag (or special watch, or ring, etc.), makes you feel great, that's the "elevation" we're all after! Relax and enjoy your pretty things.:smile:

+1, coming from a jeans and tee gal, too.

I am plus size too and I am working on upgrading my wardrobe in anticipation of a job with more public interaction after I finish my internship.
I agree that jeans and a t don't have to look sloppy although it is a more "dressed down" look for sure. I keep my hair, nails and makeup done, wear nice shoes with my jeans and sometimes switch out the t shirt for a cute top. An unstructured blazer can elevate the look sometimes, too.
I also feel like my handbag can whatever suits! Wear what you like, life's too short to sweat the small stuff!

Jeans and tee shirts can look sloppy or more pulled together depending on how they fit. Add interesting earrings, a manicure or shoes, and the outfit is elevated.

This is so true (looking at ragged, sorry fingernails). And I often wear blazers with the jeans at work. Also, I really dig scarves. I think they can really elevate jeans and a t-shirt as well.

I've heard the saying that accessories make the outfit. But lately I feel like my bags are too nice for the way I dress. I'm a plus-sized lady, and so my clothing options can be limited. I do the best I can, but the fancier the bag, the more awkward I feel carrying it with my hum drum wardrobe.

I have a super informal workplace (jeans and t-shirts, my female boss even wears shorts!) so I feel self conscious carrying the new Fendi 2Jours I just got for example. I'm always attracted to these structured, lady-like styles, but sometimes I feel like I should stick to practical cross bodies or slouchy hobos based on my clothes. I do have some of those. But they are definitely in the minority in my collection.

Am I being paranoid? I know I've seen many photos of you gals rocking your best bags with T-shirts and jeans, or similar. Maybe I'm just not confident enough to pull it off?

What do you think?

This is an excellent topic, which I think has been misunderstood - casual clothes are great, but they need to be good quality and good fit. Cheap ill fitting t shirts tend to look just what they are, you can get good quality linen or silk blends which will look (and feel) completely different. They will feel much better too. Eileen Fischer has some good examples
And this place http://www.patra.com/?gclid=CKWlybKLnb8CFasBwwodWjQAnw has large sizes that should look really good with structured bags. In my view cross bodies are not a good choice for larger ladies. Check out this article as well from a delightfulTPF er http://drnonews.blogspot.co.uk

I think people should wear what they like and what feels comfortable for them as long as it's not indecent. I think women worry about what others think far too much instead of trying to find what suits them best. To me I'd rather admire someone who looks comfortable and confident than someone who is dressed to kill but looks stiff or uncomfortable. I see women staggering around in too high heels or tugging on their too constructive clothes and I always just want to say, "Honey, be yourself. The gig is up..."

I think ladysarah got it spot-on. I don't think it necessarily matters that you're wearing casual clothes with a ladylike bag, but IMO it does matter that the casual clothes are of good quality and of a good fit, and that they clearly show you take care with your appearance, regardless of whether you're plus-sized or tiny. Casual clothes can still be stylish whereas non-casual will not always automatically equate stylish - just check out all the red carpet faux pas! :biggrin:

As a curvy short girl, I don't wear jeans + T-shirt because I feel like that kind of outfit does my body shape a disservice. (Even though I love how they are styled on thinner ladies.) So if you feel like that particular combo is sapping your confidence, maybe it's not an issue with the bag, but with the outfit? Perhaps consider some variations? For example, instead of jeans, consider dark-coloured slim trousers. And instead of a basic T-shirt with a round or V-neck, maybe something in a more forgiving fabric with a more flattering neckline such as square or sweetheart?

I have a variety of different bag styles and tend to dress smart casual. I do wear jeans with boots and fitted tops/cardies but also love wearing dresses (am quite curvy at a UK 14/US 10 so find they suit my shape) and find those look great with quite structured bags. I don't spend a fortune on clothes but always try to buy good quality items that fit well and suit my figure.

I went to the mall in a navy blue Old Navy t-shirt, LLBean jeans, some nice looking sandals I picked up at Marshalls. I paired it up with a nice necklace and my Coach Madeline bag (structured classy bag). I was the most dressed up person in this place. Structured bags are the only ones I own. They're what I like and what I feel good carrying. I'm plus sized but tshirts and knits look better on me than anything else on my particular figure. Anything not fitted will make me look like a tent. I'm confident in what I wear and I don't worry if someone else feels it isn't good enough.

I think you should wear What you like... think about this: What makes you happy? Is it What you like to wear, or What others think of you?
If u cared too much about people's opinion, u would always lose. There are always people out there who judge someone based on their outfits /bags /cars they drive... It's endless.
But if What others think matter a lot for you, try to make a compromise. There are many nice bags out there which can fit your style too.