Tips/Advice for customs, VAT, etc.

I guess it's complicated because it's unclear whether the seller is selling them as a private person or for a business. They are basically acting as an agent/employee for a business. The item being sold is related to the business so I believe they are properly registered and have to pay VAT but they are not usually in the line of selling things to the public - it's a rare auction of some assets related to the business that they no longer need.

So I guess it's basically up to the seller to deduct the 17.5% VAT from the invoice before billing me? And if they don't, do I have any recourse, like is there a way to file for refund of the VAT from Her Majesty's government myself?

As lara0112 has stated unless they are a legitimate VAT registered business you will NOT get the VAT back. This is because they can only deduct the VAT if they can later claim it back via their business expenses.

If they have something on their auction stating prices are inclusive of VAT it's probably to assure people that the price they pay is all they pay with no VAT slapped on after.

You have no way of reclaiming it back in the same way you can from a store because you aren't going through a customs port with the paperwork. If they do remove the VAT and give you a VAT invoice you could get a hefty import tax bill so you have to figure out whether it's worth asking them to mark the customs form as a gift or to try and get them to remove the VAT. You also don't get the full 17.5% back it's about 10% as they keep back some for handling etc.

Hi I don't think they should add the VAT either, though I know coming from Amsterdam (i'm Dutch) small companies don't always want to do that, others do (after you show your passport), if you got charged VAT anyway, you go to the office in Schiphol to get your VAT back, but that is when you buy IN the country it self. Now she is exporting, which is something different and then no VAT should be applied.

Now she is exporting, which is something different and then no VAT should be applied.

Yes but that only applies to businesses who are able to recoup the VAT from customs and excise. If the seller is private, which isn't terribly clear in this case, then you can not claim the VAT back as a private seller is not VAT registered and can therefore not claim it back

She doesn't need to recoup VAT because VAT only applies for citizens of that country, just the same when you buy something out of state you do no need to pay sales tax. also you could call the embassy in your country and see if you could get back the VAT from them but I think they will say the same, you do not need to pay taxes. The seller applies VAT to give that to the IRS only needed for citizens.

I myself am from the Netherlands and my husband (American) was always able to buy things in the NL showing his passport and they withdraw VAT, if for some reason it couldn't he would go to the station on Schiphol or he went to the American embassy to get a refund. As you just don't need to pay taxes.

best bet would be to get forms either from the sending company, IRS? or the embassy, maybe you can call the UK american embassy and see what they have to say?

I agree with everything you posted, only if it is a private person they don't pay tax. say I sell my personal stuff on ebay, I don't have to pay VAT to the government, so then I can't claim it anywhere. thus, I can't include or deduct it from my purchase price - i couldnt just deduct 17.5% of my purchase price bec otherwise i would have to inflate it first, as i dont pay tax. of course, when you buy in a shop it is a different story, and the same goes for an ebay merchant.

i would ask the seller whether they sell as a business - in that case they should deduct vat but ask for all these forms.

if she is a private seller why is she then including vat? only as a business you include VAT.... hmm very dubious. I thought btw that the VAT is up to 19% at least in the Netherlands, amazing isn't ?

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments! They're really appreciated. :flowers:

Since the eBay listing says that VAT is included in the auction price, I assumed the seller is VAT registered and therefore can deduct it from the final value. I wrote to him and he said that there should be no VAT payable if the item is being exported to the US. So even if I don't get the full 17.5% back it'll probably still be a substantial chunk! I know I'd have to pay import/customs duties when it's delivered but this deduction makes a huge difference!!!

So if I understand correctly he will deduct the VAT? If he can send it as a gift, I don't think you will have to pay anything to customs.

if she is a private seller why is she then including vat? only as a business you include VAT.... hmm very dubious. I thought btw that the VAT is up to 19% at least in the Netherlands, amazing isn't ?

In England EVERYONE pays VAT but if you have a business you can deduct the tax as part of your VAT return by offsetting it against business expenses. There is nothing at all dubious in this. VAT in England is 17.5%. If you are private seller you wouldn't be VAT registered

Generally a business will not mark the customs form as a gift.

Hi gals and guys, I am sure a lot of you here have purchased LV in Paris. Can anyone share the procedure on how to obtain the VAT refund? How long did it take you to actually get the refund back?

Thanks sooooooooo much!

The process is very simple. When you're in the store, buy all the things your heart desires and inform the SA that you need a VAT refund form. Make sure you have your passport with you. Take the form and get it stamped by a customs agent at the airport for your return flight. There's a place where you can mail the form within the terminal. The refund will take approximately 3 months. Have a safe trip and if you have any other questions, send me a pm. :tup: