Thoughts on new Saffiano Cuir Tote??

ceedoan

Crazy Handbag Lady
O.G.
Sep 29, 2011
hey ladies, deciding on my very first prada purchase and initially had my heart set on the saffiano lux tote BN1844 in nero or fuoco but now this new tote is grabbing my attention!!
there's two sizes and only a small difference between the two (~1 inch longer and 0.5 inch taller for the larger size). price is $2650 for the medium one and $2800 for the large.
has anyone purchased this bag?? are the straps long enough to carry on the shoulder? on prada.com, neimans and saks they say 5.5 in strap drop which only makes in half an inch longer than the saffiano but it looks much longer to me. would love your thoughts on it! can't find any reviews on this anywhere, including youtube!

Attachments

• BN2761_2A4A_F0036-1.jpg
    BN2761_2A4A_F0036-1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,426
  • BN2761_2A4A_F0002-1.jpg
    BN2761_2A4A_F0002-1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,855
Hi :smile:
I've seen and tried this bag on in store and i highly suggest stick to the saffiano lux tote! It will last a lot longer. This bag is very thin and in real life looks a bit like a shopping bag beach tote. The fabric is very thin as you can see the red lining, that is the only layer of material if i recall correctly. For the price and first purchase i say pick something more sturdy for now. It does come in lots of very beautiful colours! The straps are long and fits on the shoulders. I don't remember if it had a long strap but i knew the second i held it on my shoulders that it just didn't look right. It wrinkles while being boxy at the same time which just didn't look right. Of course this might be perfect on others, just not for me :smile:

I saw this at Prada and loved it in black. I actually liked that you could see the red lining. I felt like it gave it a nice pop to the black. It is thinner and more of a tote, but I liked that it wasn't too heavy. Of course, I have a double zip so I'm looking for something different. That said, the price point seems high to me for what it is and that has stopped me so far. Also, what I liked is that it felt like it would be more comfortable to carry than the more structured double zip. I really depends on what you are looking for. The ones I tried had a long crossbody strap as well, but I guess some don't.

thanks for your thoughts blueshades and sandc!! :biggrin:

i actually went to Neiman's today and tried every size of these double totes on today! there's actually a third size - the smallest of all 3. so a little more info on these totes: now there's 3 sizes - small, medium large. the small and medium come with a strap but there are two versions. the "first generation" ones did not have the shoulder strap and are priced at $2650. the ones that do come with the strap are a whooping $2870 - this is the most recent update per the prada e-store prices. the largest of all 3 does NOT come with strap. the handles on all these totes are long enough to wear on the shoulder.

i'm currently impartial about these, especially at the current price point! i also saw the lux tote (BN1844) what i original want side by side with these. the large is the only one that's long east-west just like the lux tote. the medium is a more boxy, square shape, if that makes sense. the shoulder strap is nice to have, and hooks on from the inside of the bag. it was too hectic to take pics while i was there - the SA showed me 6 or 7 of these in total, in all sizes and colors. lol so now i'm still undecided.

will do a reveal post when i make my decision! :P:graucho::biggrin:

I'm undecided on these 2 styles also. The double zip is a classic and can't go wrong but I've been told it does get a bit heavy. The new saffiano cuir is lighter leather. The style is nice a simple. Only 2 things that have stopped me so far is the high price and the fact that when u use the shoulder strap, the 2 handles do not flop down, they sit straight up which I think Looks funny

I'm undecided on these 2 styles also. The double zip is a classic and can't go wrong but I've been told it does get a bit heavy. The new saffiano cuir is lighter leather. The style is nice a simple. Only 2 things that have stopped me so far is the high price and the fact that when u use the shoulder strap, the 2 handles do not flop down, they sit straight up which I think Looks funny

i totally agree with you about the new cuir bag's handles sticking straight up when you put the shoulder strap - would definitely take some getting used to and may get in the way if you're trying to carry it crossbody.

anyway, i ended up getting the BN1844 (snap closure, not double zip) in Nero - i think it has more staying power and is a timeless style. i also got a WOC in cammeo - just waiting on both to get to me from NYC! whoo hoo, can't wait!! they are both my first prada purchases :graucho::happydance::nuts: