Monthly Purchase Limit

Shanibabe

I have a problem...
Nov 7, 2012
Regarding monthly purchases..is the limit per department store/boutique or is it tracked nationwide? I'm headed to DC next week and was going to visit some boutiques and dept. stores in search of minis but have already bought my "quota" at NM for June.

Regarding monthly purchases..is the limit per department store/boutique or is it tracked nationwide? I'm headed to DC next week and was going to visit some boutiques and dept. stores in search of minis but have already bought my "quota" at NM for June.

Yes, the limits have historically been nationwide, thus if you reach the limit at your local NM, you've also reached your limit at all NM stores; same for Chanel boutiques; the department stores have not yet started linking purchases to Chanel in general, thus you will have one limit at Chanel, another at NM and so on. I'd suspect that will change in the near future.

Yes, the limits have historically been nationwide, thus if you reach the limit at your local NM, you've also reached your limit at all NM stores; same for Chanel boutiques; the department stores have not yet started linking purchases to Chanel in general, thus you will have one limit at Chanel, another at NM and so on. I'd suspect that will change in the near future.

There's a limit on how many things you can buy? Why?

I didn't think there was a monthly limit currently at NM or Bloomingdales; or maybe it only applies to in store purchases?

I've been able to purchase several classics in a month (ah the fun of this last season with all the great colors); but had them shipped so maybe thats why my SA's allowed it?

Yes, there is indeed a limit. At the Chanel boutiques, it's one bag a month (no matter if it's classic or not), and I forget how many small leather goods a month (2?), as well as limits to the number of classics you can buy. The limits are higher at NM stores but they also have a limit. Interestingly enough, they don't limit you on RTW or fine jewelry (except watches) or exotic bags, at least currently.

The reason? Ostensibly to prevent resellers, but then some SA's are working hand in glove with resellers, so the true reason is to create an illusion of scarcity or some such malarkey. That makes the bags more illusive and therefore more desirable in the minds of corporate types. It's quite silly.

Technically, my bloomingdales SA tells me one can only purchase one classic bag a month... but I know girls that purchase several in one month... so I'm not sure if they actually keep track..

Wow, I didn't know they limited customer purchases like that - so interesting, but I understand why (even if it sounds odd). Not a problem with me though, it takes me months to save up for one bag !!

Yes, there is indeed a limit. At the Chanel boutiques, it's one bag a month (no matter if it's classic or not), and I forget how many small leather goods a month (2?), as well as limits to the number of classics you can buy. The limits are higher at NM stores but they also have a limit. Interestingly enough, they don't limit you on RTW or fine jewelry (except watches) or exotic bags, at least currently.

The reason? Ostensibly to prevent resellers, but then some SA's are working hand in glove with resellers, so the true reason is to create an illusion of scarcity or some such malarkey. That makes the bags more illusive and therefore more desirable in the minds of corporate types. It's quite silly.

I guess I understand the reasoning behind it but I'm very surprised about that. I've seen so many people on here share hauls of several bags and small leather goods that were purchased on a trip or obviously over a short period of time (less than a month) so I wonder how that works.

I guess I understand the reasoning behind it but I'm very surprised about that. I've seen so many people on here share hauls of several bags and small leather goods that were purchased on a trip or obviously over a short period of time (less than a month) so I wonder how that works.

Some people are more equal than others, and are able to buy more.

Would be interesting to know whether the limit also applies to stores here in Germany. I see quite a lot of arab and russian women loaded with Chanel bags every summer here in Munich.

Wow, I didn't know they limited customer purchases like that - so interesting, but I understand why (even if it sounds odd). Not a problem with me though, it takes me months to save up for one bag !!

Same here! Makes it all the more special though when you get home and unpack the new bag.

I totally agree with you both! Just bought a WOC, now saving for a GST. It will probably take me a another year, year and half? Haha, no big deal! I work my butt off to get what I want, and it's that much sweeter at the end after knowing how difficult the road was to get there. :cool:

I have not experienced a limit at all. I was able to purchase 2 bags last month from the boutique, and I have purchased one this month and SA is holding (and pushing) another at Neiman Marcus that I am contemplating… never heard of a "limit" before, and was never even mentioned or presented to me as a possible risk, and I have made a lot of large hauls where if there was a limit they'd have the need to warn me about it…

I have not experienced a limit at all. I was able to purchase 2 bags last month from the boutique, and I have purchased one this month and SA is holding (and pushing) another at Neiman Marcus that I am contemplating… never heard of a "limit" before, and was never even mentioned or presented to me as a possible risk, and I have made a lot of large hauls where if there was a limit they'd have the need to warn me about it…
They don't enforce this at all. It has never even been mentioned to me. I just went back to confirm and i purchased 4 "classics" in april from Bloomingdales NYC.

OP I think the department stores are less strict than boutiques. They are less inclined to care about exclusivity - just profits :smile: