I need your opinions : is Chanel really for me?

Dearest girl

Louis Vuitton•Chanel• Balenciaga
Oct 5, 2012
Hello ladies. I m uncertain if I should buy any more Chanel flaps. Don't get me wrong I totally love the look whenever I see people carrying their Chanel flaps. However, when I use them I just feel uncomfortable due to its super compact sizes. I honestly think it isn't practical and I'm not liking it as much as when I'm carrying my Balenciaga bags. ( I use the new balenciaga studs bags so they are very light and comfortable.)

I currently own two Chanel Flaps which are a Classic m/l in black caviar with silver hardware and a rectangular 8" mini classic flap in navy blue caviar. These two bags I have are very small for me. I actually love the look of m/l size on me since so classy but I m not going to lie. Everytime I use it I can't fit my essential enough. As a result, I just let them sit on my closet most of the time. Not to mention mini flap that I find super small for my liking. I love the fact that they are lightweight and so classy. But it can't even fit my long wallet .!!!!!

Having said all this I am not a big bag person at all, but I find these two flaps are only good for evening bags or special occasions. From this mentioned experience , it makes me feel unsure if Chanel Flaps are really for me. I love the look of those flaps on others but why when I use them I feel that they are impractical. Or this is because I choose the wrong size for Chanel flaps ?

I'm debating so hard if I should save and get a classic jumbo flap or reissue 226. Should I give it another try ? What I'm afraid is that firstly I hate heavy bag, and I have heard so many time that Chanel classic jumbo is so heavy. I plan to get jumbo in caviar only due to its durability If I find it heavy, I'm sure I'm not going to use it often again.And for reissue 226, I'm afraid if I will find it too small again , and not sure about how the bag would hold up in the long run.

Should I buy any flaps? If so which one you would recommend? Or you ladies think that I shouldn't buy anymore Chanel bags for now?

Thank you for answering.

Well, by the sounds of it you've actually already made the decision not to invest in anymore Chanel flaps.

You've already got 2, and you don't find them really practical, which is fair. So why spend a whole lot more $$$$$ just to get another bag you probably won't wear often either? It's always a choice, and if for the same money you can get 1 or (probably) more bags by other brands that fit your needs better, then go for it. Especially as you already own a couple.

If you really want another Chanel anyway, why don't you visit a boutique to try on some other styles? Just don't tempt yourself into buying something just because others love it and you don't :smile: Good luck!

Sorry your having issues girly . One thing that I do is take all my stuff that I know that I would need to carry with me and then when I try on a purse,I put all my goodies in there to make sure it fits and see how heavy it is. That way I'm not surprised later on. =) maybe you could try that?

Well, by the sounds of it you've actually already made the decision not to invest in anymore Chanel flaps.

You've already got 2, and you don't find them really practical, which is fair. So why spend a whole lot more $$$$$ just to get another bag you probably won't wear often either? It's always a choice, and if for the same money you can get 1 or (probably) more bags by other brands that fit your needs better, then go for it. Especially as you already own a couple.

If you really want another Chanel anyway, why don't you visit a boutique to try on some other styles? Just don't tempt yourself into buying something just because others love it and you don't :smile: Good luck!

I agree. It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Sometimes we just have to talk it out to really see it. :biggrin:

I agree with the others...it sounds like you realize that Chanel is not for you. Tastes change and so do the items that you want to carry. It sounds like you enjoy carrying your Bal bags so you have a go-to brand that works for you.I love that someone mentioned that sometimes you just need verbalize and raionalize it with yourself. Once you are okay with your decision, it wil be easier to move on.There are so many gorgeous bags out there, I would not feel bad about having to go shopping to find my new go-to brand!

well, by the sounds of it you've actually already made the decision not to invest in anymore chanel flaps.

If you really want another chanel anyway, why don't you visit a boutique to try on some other styles? Just don't tempt yourself into buying something just because others love it and you don't :smile: good luck!

+ 2

Well if the issue is the size then I recommend a larger Flap. I happen to agree with you about size and my collection consists of mainly Jumbos or 227's for that reason. Have you tried the Jumbo to see if YOU think it's to heavy, not what some others think? As suggested above the 227 can fit what fits into a Jumbo and is definitely lighter. Also if you feel you only need a bit more room than your M/L then the 226 may be for you. No need to worried about upkeep, distressed calf reissues are just as fuss-free and possibly even more "comfortable" to carry than caviar flaps.

Before you think about buying anymore, I suggest trying a Jumbo and the both Reissue sizes out to see if you think they are better for you. If it's the style you're not comfortable with than ignore my post...lol.

Have you tried a seasonal flap like the CC Crave? It's super lightweight, has the look of a flap without the classic flap price, and can hold a decent amount (there are two sizes so maybe the larger one is better for you?).

If not then I'd suggest the 227 reissue. I have the 226 and use it way more than my jumbo because it's lightweight and can surprisingly hold a lot. I can fit my small wallet, small umbrella or large sunglasses case, key pouch, small makeup pouch, iPhone.

I suggest trying them on in the store to see what suits you. Good luck!

i would not give up on the flap just yet. just like what others suggested, try the jumbo and/or the reissue in 227 size at the boutique and go from there. take your time and enjoy rediscovering the flap in the process.

I used to always buy bags in the classic shape & sizes for eg. Chanel classic (normally double flaps) in medium or mini because that was the classic look I kept seeing around where I live and what I grew up with. It took a long time for me to realize I am a jumbo/maxi girl and that aside from a few extra 'nice to have' bags (summer/holiday walking around & evening) my main bag collection needed to be made up of larger bags. I needed more practical bags. It also took me a long time to stop buying bags in tan & beige. I am not a tan or beige person but again I kept investing in 'classic' pieces and colors.

I sold most of my old collection and have since built up one more tailored to my personality. It sounds to me you went for 'classic' bags in styles one normally associates with Chanel instead of perhaps going for what would have been your normal style.

Now you know what you want.. give it a try. Go in and try on a jumbo or maxi classic flap. Try on a CC crave and perhaps a large reissue. They all have more space. Or go for the bag you are drawn to. You may be more of a shopping tote lady!!

The good thing is there is always a market for Chanel you don't have to make any decisions asap. I'm sure your bags will always sell well if you want to replace them. Although personally I do find the mini classic bags really hard to wear as they are just SO small. I have sold and re-bought and then sold a few as I never got on with them!

Last edited:
If you like the jumbo size you can get reissue 227 since physically they're more similar in size, not the 226.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app