A little help please on color????

simplyprincess

Beauty is Orange...
Jul 5, 2006
Can anyone tell me the difference between Gris Touterelle and Etoupe? I havent been able to make it down to H so I can see the swatch book so I'm relying on pics from the PC. I cant really tell the difference:confused1:. Which one has a brown undertone? I noticed on the leather/color reference section Etoupe is listed in Browns. Is it a brown or a grey? (this info is going to be used to SO a certain little something for me :graucho:).

Thanks for any help ladies (and gents).

Etoupe has the brown undertone: it's a taupe. Gris tourterelle is pale dove grey and is much lighter than etoupe.

I absolutely agree...
Étoupe seems to change its tone depending on the light.
Naturally seen,
it's actually brown!

'Étoupe' is a kind of hemp strand which is light brown and which for example was originally used at the end of the conclave when a new pope has been elected to produce the white smoke soaring from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong,
but I believe the english expression for étoupe is 'Oakum', isn't it?

here's another thread i started earlier this year needing help to identify etoupe actual shade :

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/etoupe-pictures-pretty-please-91019.html

someone in this thread had a picture of their kelly gris t. - i believe it was Babeli....so gorgeous!

LOL Pazt! We think alike! I love Etoupe! I was thinking last week that I needed something "greyish but not quite grey". Hopefully I can either SO a JPG Birkin or find one already in stock:yes:. Poor DH, he will be sooo broke :Push:.

here's VB JPG etoupe :

celebcity1euvictoriabecmi2.jpg

I absolutely agree...
Étoupe seems to change its tone depending on the light.
Naturally seen,
it's actually brown!

'Étoupe' is a kind of hemp strand which is light brown and which for example was originally used at the end of the conclave when a new pope has been elected to produce the white smoke soaring from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong,
but I believe the english expression for étoupe is 'Oakum', isn't it?

Thanks for the info Tenshi. I do believe that Etoupe is the color that I am looking for. I want something grey, but not quite grey. So Etoupe would be perfect!

Tenshi, the only use of 'oakum' I remember seeing is in relation to ships and shipping:

Oakum is little known except by shipbuilders, plumbers, and historians. From a workhouse glossary on the web2, the following definition is provided:
"[Oakum is] loose fibres obtained by unpicking old ropes which were then sold to the navy or other ship-builders - it was mixed with [pine] tar and used for caulking (sealing the lining) of wooden ships. Picking oakum was done without tools of any sort and was very hard on the fingers."​

There's also a bit more info here