Express Mail No Delivery After 2.5 Months What Now?

ThisVNchick

SGN<->SF<->DC<->CDG
O.G.
May 7, 2008
My buyer purchased a pair of designer earrings on March 24th. I promptly shipped the item out the next business day via USPS Express International (no guarantee delivery to Brazil unfortunately). On April 2nd, the tracking updated to say that it was in customs and that was the last of it.

I've called and filed a complaint on the 25th of April, after the tracking failed to update anymore. I was told that someone or a letter would be mailed within 10 days. Nothing happened. I called back again after 10 days and another lady (very angrily) said I can't do anything about the case because Brazil has 60 days to respond to the inquiry. THAT IS RIDICULOUS. So I call back again in 1.5 week and spoke to someone nicer and told her that I already refunded my buyer and I would like to have the package sent back to me. She says she'll note it in the case. Yesterday, I received a letter from USPS. I was hoping that it would be the letter would state that the item was declared lost and here's the paperwork to file for insurance. NO SUCH LUCK. The letter basically said that Brazil responded and their reply was the item is being held up at customs. Well, no duh, I can clearly see that since April 2nd! So I called back today, and the lady informs me my case has been closed for no apparent reason. She then went forth to get her supervisor to reactivate the case but has no answer as to when it will be resolved.

This is my first experience with international packages getting lost. I always ship express overseas, no exception. I was under the impression that if you paid more, the service would be more efficient (guess not). Has anyone experienced this before and did something different to push the case further along? It seems like calling their international claims department has gotten me absolutely nowhere and I'm never going to get my refund.

My buyer purchased a pair of designer earrings on March 24th. I promptly shipped the item out the next business day via USPS Express International (no guarantee delivery to Brazil unfortunately). On April 2nd, the tracking updated to say that it was in customs and that was the last of it.

I've called and filed a complaint on the 25th of April, after the tracking failed to update anymore. I was told that someone or a letter would be mailed within 10 days. Nothing happened. I called back again after 10 days and another lady (very angrily) said I can't do anything about the case because Brazil has 60 days to respond to the inquiry. THAT IS RIDICULOUS. So I call back again in 1.5 week and spoke to someone nicer and told her that I already refunded my buyer and I would like to have the package sent back to me. She says she'll note it in the case. Yesterday, I received a letter from USPS. I was hoping that it would be the letter would state that the item was declared lost and here's the paperwork to file for insurance. NO SUCH LUCK. The letter basically said that Brazil responded and their reply was the item is being held up at customs. Well, no duh, I can clearly see that since April 2nd! So I called back today, and the lady informs me my case has been closed for no apparent reason. She then went forth to get her supervisor to reactivate the case but has no answer as to when it will be resolved.

This is my first experience with international packages getting lost. I always ship express overseas, no exception. I was under the impression that if you paid more, the service would be more efficient (guess not). Has anyone experienced this before and did something different to push the case further along? It seems like calling their international claims department has gotten me absolutely nowhere and I'm never going to get my refund.

One of the things that you can do is take your original Express Mail form (the copy you received back at the post office) to your local post office; since the item didn't arrive, they'll refund you your postage cost.

I would also keep calling USPS in regard to the insurance claim, but only speak to supervisors.

Your buyer is SOL so you owe her nothing although it's up to you how you want to handle it. She has 45 days to file a dispute and it's way past that -- about 70 days.

Your buyer is SOL so you owe her nothing although it's up to you how you want to handle it. She has 45 days to file a dispute and it's way past that -- about 70 days.

OP has already refunded the buyer.... so hopefully she will be able
to collect from the insurance on the package from USPS or have USPS
get it returned to her since it is still in customs???

Keep contacting USPS until you get an answer....

OP has already refunded the buyer.... so hopefully she will be able
to collect from the insurance on the package from USPS or have USPS
get it returned to her since it is still in customs???

Keep contacting USPS until you get an answer....

Not sure if USPS insurance covers Brazil.

Brazil is a known theft country. Some insurers won't cover items shipped there.

I would prefer to say that Brazil is a known beautiful country. :smile: As someone who has been there a few times, I can personally attest to that.

OP, customs regulations in Brazil are very strict on items over $40 or $60. Those items can stay in customs for several months before being released. The buyer will likely end up receiving the item after paying the requested fees. I'm sorry, but I don't think USPS will do anything in this case, since the article is held in customs.

You may want to keep your communication with the buyer and ask her/him to kindly pay for the item after receiving it. You may want also to exclude Brazil from your future international sales. Good Luck!

I would prefer to say that Brazil is a known beautiful country. :smile: As someone who has been there a few times, I can personally attest to that.

OP, customs regulations in Brazil are very strict on items over $40 or $60. Those items can stay in customs for several months before being released. The buyer will likely end up receiving the item after paying the requested fees. I'm sorry, but I don't think USPS will do anything in this case, since the article is held in customs.

You may want to keep your communication with the buyer and ask her/him to kindly pay for the item after receiving it. You may want also to exclude Brazil from your future international sales. Good Luck!
Brazil may be a beautiful country for tourists but it is certainly known as one with high postal fraud. Several years ago, I shipped an item there, buyer claimed non-receipt and further research confirmed NSP's statement. Since then, Brazil is one of the countries I refuse to ship to.

ETA: Here are a couple of threads discussing problems with Brazilian shipping:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-International-Trading/Problems-shipping-to-Brazil/qaq-p/3128783

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080707094411AA79ipB

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/155829/ebay-shipping-to-brazil

Last edited:
Brazil may be a beautiful country for tourists but it is certainly known as one with high postal fraud. Several years ago, I shipped an item there, buyer claimed non-receipt and further research confirmed NSP's statement. Since then, Brazil is one of the countries I refuse to ship to.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-International-Trading/Problems-shipping-to-Brazil/qaq-p/3128783

I can't blame you, I wouldn't mail there anything valued over $40. Their custom regulations and fees are absurd, Brazilians are very unhappy with that.

One of the things that you can do is take your original Express Mail form (the copy you received back at the post office) to your local post office; since the item didn't arrive, they'll refund you your postage cost.

I would also keep calling USPS in regard to the insurance claim, but only speak to supervisors.

Do you think they will still give me the postage refund even if the item has not been deemed "lost" by USPS? Right now, if I track it, it still says "in customs" from April 2nd and nothing more. I'm pretty sure I am never going to see this item again. They are just holding out so they don't have to issue my postage refund and my insurance refund. I'm just wondering how long this period will be. It's going to be 3 months on June 25th.

Not sure if USPS insurance covers Brazil.

I bought the insurance through ShipCover. So when the buyer filed the case and escalated it, I was able to recover the insurance claim and refunded her that money. I am now out of the shipping cost which was about $60 and the insurance amount that is issued with express mail ($100). That is the amount I am trying to reclaim, as I think I am entitled to at least get my postage cost back since the item never made it to the buyer.

Thank you for posting these links. This is definitely a country that I will avoid shipping to in the future.

Well in my recent conversations with the claims department, I've explained to CS that I wanted the item to be returned sender. CS said she did note that in my case and that when they are able to locate the item, they will return it back to me (hopefully) since I have already refunded the buyer.

Thank you for posting these links. This is definitely a country that I will avoid shipping to in the future.

Certainly only ship to places that you feel comfortable shipping to, and there's clearly a big problem with your package that it's been gone for so long, but not all packages going to Brazil go missing - I've shipped there multiple times and (knock on wood) never had an issue. But customs (even on parcels that are only around $100) takes FOREVER. The last Express package I sent took five weeks to be delivered.

Certainly only ship to places that you feel comfortable shipping to, and there's clearly a big problem with your package that it's been gone for so long, but not all packages going to Brazil go missing - I've shipped there multiple times and (knock on wood) never had an issue. But customs (even on parcels that are only around $100) takes FOREVER. The last Express package I sent took five weeks to be delivered.

Oh I never realized that price matters. The price on the item was at $600. So that means a couple of months is an 'OK' waiting period for Brazil?