Tech Which MacBook computer should I get

Mrs.Purcy

Apr 11, 2014
At first I wanted the MacBook Air 11" because I like small devices. I had an iPad and it was too big so I bought a mini and love it. But than i found the 11 inch air too small and thought the 13" was nicer and that I'd upgrade it to 8GB. Than friends told me id be better off getting the MacBook Pro non retina 13" without external cd drive since it is a lot lighter and has some form of retina.. And has 500 GB flash storage. Whatever that means.

The air appeals to me cause it has 12 hour battery life, is portable, light, crisp, not heavy and cute. It suits my needs! I like my devices light.

I need a laptop mainly to browse online like forums, listen to music, skype with my husband, and that's pretty much it. My main computer was my husbands Mac mini but I travel a lot and need my own main system so I'm opting for a lap top. I'm also going to be taking classes soon so it'd be nice to not use my iMac at my house in Canada. I don't do gaming or graphics so that's not important.. I mainly will use it for skyping, listening to music (need a main stage for my music also for my iPod to collect music,) browsing the web (forums, gossip sites LOL,) and for Microsoft word since I'll be using it for online classes!

Should I get the MacBook Air 13" upgrade to 8GB OR the MacBook Pro 13" non retina display with no cd external drive 4GB?!

Also, retina does no interest me, thank you!

Based on what you said I would go with the Macbook air. If you don't want retina display forget about macbook pro. I have microsoft office on my macbook pro. Air is great for traveling. I love the retina display can't look at other screens anymore.

I just had the same exact dilemma a week ago because I dropped my pro and it broke :'( Anyway, my bday is coming up so my hubby gave me an option early. I was debating between the same exact computers especially because everything is on a flash drive nowadays instead of disks (my old pro that broke had a CD drive). After long debate, I opted for the MacBook Air 13"... Mostly because the pro didn't have a CD drive either. The air is so light and perfect and I can carry it anywhere. I'm not a Mac geek so I don't need any special programs. I simply use the computer for every day tasks (checking the real estate & stock markets, finances, email, eBay, tPf lol) and I used to use office for school before I graduated. From my experience, I'm glad I went for the Air. It's sleek, modern, and super light. The tech at a best buy told me it's only about 1/2 lb lighter than the new pro without the cd drive (but don't take my word for it).

Best of luck on your decision! :smile:

Why would you need an external drive? Do you listen to CDs or watch DVDs a lot? If not, then it's kind of pointless. Do you mostly stream music/videos? If so, then a larger internal drive isn't needed. If you store a bunch of pics, music or movies on your laptop, then yes, a larger internal drive would be wise and/or and external drive (either CD/DVD or hard drive). And FYI, the 512GB upgrade is an extra $300 on top of the 13" Air's $1200 pricetag.

Answer that and I'll be able to assist more. :smile:

I went from a MacBook Pro 13" to a MacBook Air 11" and couldn't be happier with my decision. My pro was heavy and was getting all bent from falling off the bed or whatnot (I'm a little clumsy), and I couldn't deal with the horrible battery life any longer. I bought the Air on Mother's Day after debating between it and a new Pro, along with an external hard drive to store photos and such and the external CD drive (because I don't want to have to buy on iTunes what I already own). I was a little concerned the Air would be too small but I absolutely love it. I couldn't be happier with the battery life or quality and I love that it doesn't get nearly as hot on my legs as my Pro did. Hope this helps a little!

My usage is similar to what you said your usage is so I have to agree with what the others said.. I have a 15" Pro & a 11" Air and granted the Pro was already having issues I must say I haven't even touched it since my Air purchase. I love the size and convenience with it being lightweight plus it fits in all my handbags quite easily.

I just had the same exact dilemma a week ago because I dropped my pro and it broke :'( Anyway, my bday is coming up so my hubby gave me an option early. I was debating between the same exact computers especially because everything is on a flash drive nowadays instead of disks (my old pro that broke had a CD drive). After long debate, I opted for the MacBook Air 13"... Mostly because the pro didn't have a CD drive either. The air is so light and perfect and I can carry it anywhere. I'm not a Mac geek so I don't need any special programs. I simply use the computer for every day tasks (checking the real estate & stock markets, finances, email, eBay, tPf lol) and I used to use office for school before I graduated. From my experience, I'm glad I went for the Air. It's sleek, modern, and super light. The tech at a best buy told me it's only about 1/2 lb lighter than the new pro without the cd drive (but don't take my word for it).

Best of luck on your decision! :smile:
Woo! Thank you so much I am definitely getting the MacBook Air 13"! I use a Louis Vuitton speedy 35 as an everyday bag away from school think it'll fit?

Why would you need an external drive? Do you listen to CDs or watch DVDs a lot? If not, then it's kind of pointless. Do you mostly stream music/videos? If so, then a larger internal drive isn't needed. If you store a bunch of pics, music or movies on your laptop, then yes, a larger internal drive would be wise and/or and external drive (either CD/DVD or hard drive). And FYI, the 512GB upgrade is an extra $300 on top of the 13" Air's $1200 pricetag.

Answer that and I'll be able to assist more. :smile:

I actually don't need CDs or DVDs! So you're right it is very pointless. My pictures and movies will be mainly stored onto my iPad mini. I'm going to download songs no more than 1,000 and store them on my iPod as well as have them on the computer so I can listen to music while studying if I don't want to bring my iPod around. I'm also going to buy the iPhone 5s which has retina, another reason why I wasn't interested in the MacBook Pro with retina for that reason. I'm planning on putting all my music into my new iPhone and let that be my phone/iPod haha. I stream movies and shows most of them time, or just download torrents and store them on my ipad and delete the file on the computer afterwards. I stream maybe.. 2 shows a week? If the tv schedule is back on for certain shows, I stream 3-6 shows. I'm also going to use netflix here and there! And I also need something for university taking notes, writing papers. It has to bevery good for travel cause I study at home but also study at libraries or quiet areas. I also travel a lot to Europe every summer so it has to be perfect for that too.:P

I plan on getting the 8G ram and 256 GB flash. Can I buy that at the apple store or would I need to get it on the online store? It'd be great if I could get that exact spec for the MacBook Air 13" at the store because I really need my laptop then and there.

Also is setup pretty straight forward or could I do the set up at the apple store with help?

I went from a MacBook Pro 13" to a MacBook Air 11" and couldn't be happier with my decision. My pro was heavy and was getting all bent from falling off the bed or whatnot (I'm a little clumsy), and I couldn't deal with the horrible battery life any longer. I bought the Air on Mother's Day after debating between it and a new Pro, along with an external hard drive to store photos and such and the external CD drive (because I don't want to have to buy on iTunes what I already own). I was a little concerned the Air would be too small but I absolutely love it. I couldn't be happier with the battery life or quality and I love that it doesn't get nearly as hot on my legs as my Pro did. Hope this helps a little!

That's something I'm also nervous about. How tiny it is, is it flimsy, delicate? Do you feel like you'll easily drop it? Btw I'm happy for you that you enjoy it!

Woo! Thank you so much I am definitely getting the MacBook Air 13"! I use a Louis Vuitton speedy 35 as an everyday bag away from school think it'll fit?

Hmm, to be honest I'm not quite sure if it would fit a speedy (because of the rounded edges I would assume) and I wouldn't want to stretch the leather with the computer. In your position I would take your speedy just in case when you make the laptop purchase so you can do a trial fitting :smile: I hope it fits!

At first I wanted the MacBook Air 11" because I like small devices. I had an iPad and it was too big so I bought a mini and love it. But than i found the 11 inch air too small and thought the 13" was nicer and that I'd upgrade it to 8GB. Than friends told me id be better off getting the MacBook Pro non retina 13" without external cd drive since it is a lot lighter and has some form of retina.. And has 500 GB flash storage. Whatever that means.

The air appeals to me cause it has 12 hour battery life, is portable, light, crisp, not heavy and cute. It suits my needs! I like my devices light.

I need a laptop mainly to browse online like forums, listen to music, skype with my husband, and that's pretty much it. My main computer was my husbands Mac mini but I travel a lot and need my own main system so I'm opting for a lap top. I'm also going to be taking classes soon so it'd be nice to not use my iMac at my house in Canada. I don't do gaming or graphics so that's not important.. I mainly will use it for skyping, listening to music (need a main stage for my music also for my iPod to collect music,) browsing the web (forums, gossip sites LOL,) and for Microsoft word since I'll be using it for online classes!

Should I get the MacBook Air 13" upgrade to 8GB OR the MacBook Pro 13" non retina display with no cd external drive 4GB?!

Also, retina does no interest me, thank you!

I wouldn't get a laptop unless you really needed the portability, like outside the house. After all, your iPhone is basically a computer also.

I like Mac Mini and iMac. iMac especially has a gorgeous screen.

I wouldn't get a laptop unless you really needed the portability, like outside the house. After all, your iPhone is basically a computer also.

I like Mac Mini and iMac. iMac especially has a gorgeous screen.

Uh... I can't write notes do homework and important stuff on my iPhone. My iPhone is supposed to be a phone, not something I use for homework and intense activities that can be done on a laptop. I also enjoy doing stuff on my bed, in my room.. I already have an iMac. Already have a Mac mini. I already have an iPad, iPod. iPad is nice but not enough for me to do serious stuff on. I need a laptop for portability and to be able to use it outside the home. Did you read my op at all or..?

I was in the same dilemma about a year ago and I chose the macbook air and never regretted it ever since. I take it with me everyday for college and travel with it and it's just so much more lighter than the macbook pro. Plus it fits into my school bag so I don't have to carry it in my hands like I did with my old laptop. P.S. if you're going to college any time soon make sure to get the student discount they do in apple stores :smile: