Neutral Feedback?

restricter

Beware the BIN Paw
O.G.
Apr 25, 2007
I had a rather disappointing transaction with Japanese reseller Kyounokura. Before they registered on eBay, I'd had a few flawless transactions via Rakuten. This time on eBay, there was zero communication, the shipping information was not updated and two messages asking about status went ignored. I finally opened a case for INR. They promptly refunded and apologized.

The thing is, the apology was just another example of sloppy practices that seem to have come from expanding too quickly. Here it is:

Hi.
I must apologize you.
I have just found the bag was purchased by another buyer
in our actual street store.

I'm really so sorry for that.

I have already refund your payment via Paypal.

Thank you very much for your kindness and very very sorry.

First of all, it was a piece of jewelry that I ordered. Secondly, two messages asking about my order were ignored.

The neutral feedback I'd like to leave is this: "Disappointing experience with a formerly trusted seller. Sloppy inventory practices and no response to two status inquiries. Prompt refund and apology when case was opened. Proceed with caution until practices improve."

I'm not in the habit of leaving negs or neutrals but this seller seems to have developed a pattern of cases just like mine. It especially pains me when prior transactions have gone so well. If I thought they'd read a message with this information, I'd send it rather than post it as feedback.

Thoughts?

You could always try sending it as a message first and see how (or if) they respond, and then if you're not satisfied, leave whatever feedback you think is appropriate. In terms of leaving neutral, I wouldn't consider other people's cases with the seller, since feedback is only for your transaction and your experience with the seller.

You won't be able to leave that comment though - eBay FB is only 80 characters long, and you're not allowed to mention eBay / PP cases.

I would leave the neutral feedback.

You sent them 2 messages which they did not acknowledge in a timely & professional manner.

Perhaps your leaving a "neutral" will wake them up so they will pay more attention..

And would ding them on their communication.

Iris, I liked your suggestion because it lets me tell them exactly how disappointed I was and gives me time to think about the neutral.

Here is the message I sent, bearing in mind that they are not native English speakers:

Dear Seller

I am very disappointed. I have made other purchases with you through Rakuten. You were always fast to respond to questions.

You have become disorganized and sloppy. Even your apology is not correct. I ordered a necklace, not a bag. More, I sent two messages that you never answered.

Until now, I would gladly have made more purchases and recommended you to others. You need to do better and I hope you will contact me again to tell me about improvements you have made so that I will feel comfortable buying from you again.

Regards,

Buyer

Restricter, FWIW, I think your message to them will not only give them useful feedback, but it gives you a chance to completely express yourself. The feedback we can leave is so restricted (by characters allowed) that it is sometimes difficult to give a full and accurate picture. I'm actually struggling with the same issue - don't want to be unfair, but can't describe the issue with the auction in 80 characters.

Iris, I liked your suggestion because it lets me tell them exactly how disappointed I was and gives me time to think about the neutral.

Here is the message I sent, bearing in mind that they are not native English speakers:

Dear Seller

I am very disappointed. I have made other purchases with you through Rakuten. You were always fast to respond to questions.

You have become disorganized and sloppy. Even your apology is not correct. I ordered a necklace, not a bag. More, I sent two messages that you never answered.

Until now, I would gladly have made more purchases and recommended you to others. You need to do better and I hope you will contact me again to tell me about improvements you have made so that I will feel comfortable buying from you again.

Regards,

Buyer
I also like this message but recently, ebay made "defect" changes to their system and leaving a neutral feedback hurts a seller as much as a neg hurts.

Thus unless a seller is a scammer or purposely did something to hurt you/your purchase, I would recommend not leaving any feedback but just informing the seller of your disappointment.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html

Thanks BB. In this case, they deserve the pain. Once again, no response to my message and I am not surprised. They are getting the neutral.

I paid for the item immediately; they sat on the funds for 10 days without acknowledging the order or checking whether the item was in stock, didn't respond to two messages from me and it took opening a case to get that response and my refund. That's poor practice and it deserves a ding.

Thanks BB. In this case, they deserve the pain. Once again, no response to my message and I am not surprised. They are getting the neutral.

I paid for the item immediately; they sat on the funds for 10 days without acknowledging the order or checking whether the item was in stock, didn't respond to two messages from me and it took opening a case to get that response and my refund. That's poor practice and it deserves a ding.

Did you really expect anything less??

If the seller was non responsive to your messages, why would you think
he would respond to a e-mail expressing your disappointment with the
transaction & communication?

Understand that you wanted to give him the opportunity, but this seller
has made an impression... an unprofessional one at that..
While I do think sellers deserve the benefit of the doubt in many circumstances,
this seller fell short & his communication was poor & disappointing..

Future buyers need to be warned about sellers such as this & just wondering
had you seen feedback like this even though you had made other purchases
would you perhaps had asked a question & if there was no resppnse would
you have completed the transaction... doubtful, IMO

Last edited:
Did you really expect anything less??

If the seller was non responsive to your messages, why would you think
he would respond to a e-mail expressing your disappointment with the
transaction & communication?

Understand that you wanted to give him the opportunity, but this seller
has made an impression... an unprofessional one at that..
While I do think sellers deserve the benefit of the doubt in many circumstances,
this seller fell short & his communication was poor & disappointing..

Future buyers need to be warned about sellers such as this & just wondering
had you seen feedback like this even though you had made other purchases
would you perhaps had asked a question & if there was no resppnse would
you have completed the transaction... doubtful, IMO

I've had several previous transactions with this seller via Rakuten and was very pleased with communication and ship time. I used my own prior experience versus the feedback given on eBay as a guide, which is why I am so disappointed.

Per another poster, sending the message cost nothing and gave the seller one final chance to understand what they did wrong.

However, future buyers do need to be warned and perhaps the feedback will be the wake up call that my ignored message was not.

I've had several previous transactions with this seller via Rakuten and was very pleased with communication and ship time. I used my own prior experience versus the feedback given on eBay as a guide, which is why I am so disappointed.

Per another poster, sending the message cost nothing and gave the seller one final chance to understand what they did wrong.

However, future buyers do need to be warned and perhaps the feedback will be the wake up call that my ignored message was not.
In the past, a neutral feedback COULD be considered a wakeup call for a seller who might need to improve their customer service.

But in leaving a neutral for this seller without understanding the ramifications for sellers in doing so, you could conceivably be putting this seller OUT OF BUSINESS.

With ebay's changes, going back retroactively to last August, a seller who gets 5 "defects" out of 100 transactions in a year will be suspended permanently. (Understand that I don't think you intend to put the seller out of business but i also don't think many buyers understand the damage done to a seller.)

This post in ebay's buyer central explains defects. (The whole thread is an interesting read but those who advocate punishing sellers with less than positive feedbacks and even those who "contact a seller" are effectively burying those sellers.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Buyer-...-leaving-neutral-feedback/m-p/21392008#M80449

Are you really attempting to put this seller who you presumably had good experiences with out of business?

Agree that sending the message didn't cost anything & your gave the seller the
benefit of the doubt here & every opportunity to "communicate with you"
& he still disappointed you.

Not communicating is one thing but keeping someone's funds for a 10
day period seems unacceptable to me & sending several e-mails & have
those e-mails go unanswered is just unprofessional

You should do what you feel comfortable with...

Last edited:
In the past, a neutral feedback COULD be considered a wakeup call for a seller who might need to improve their customer service.

But in leaving a neutral for this seller without understanding the ramifications for sellers in doing so, you could conceivably be putting this seller OUT OF BUSINESS.

With ebay's changes, going back retroactively to last August, a seller who gets 5 "defects" out of 100 transactions in a year will be suspended permanently. (Understand that I don't think you intend to put the seller out of business but i also don't think many buyers understand the damage done to a seller.)

This post in ebay's buyer central explains defects. (The whole thread is an interesting read but those who advocate punishing sellers with less than positive feedbacks and even those who "contact a seller" are effectively burying those sellers.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Buyer-...-leaving-neutral-feedback/m-p/21392008#M80449

Are you really attempting to put this seller who you presumably had good experiences with out of business?

So if sellers know this "new policy" even more reason for them to be
communicating better or in a more timely manner so they don't risk
suspension...

What should a buyer do after sending e-mails & seller doesn't respond
& they have the buyers money?? Just be patient & wait til a seller gets around
to answsering an e-mail..don't think so..

There has to be some other solution... don't think any buyer would have the
intent of putting someone out of business (with the exception of selling fakes)
over this issue but the buyer was subjected to above & beyond & wasn't even
given the courtesy of a response in a timely manner (timely should be 24- 48 hours)
& had to do alot of "follow up" work with involved her time & her money

And certainly would like to hear your thoughts as to what a buyer should do if
she/he is ever in this situation...

Last edited:

:tup:

I also wonder how many buyers who are not sellers themselves even understand
the ebay system?

I bet there are many buyers who don't have a clue as to what the costs are
(listing fees & final value fees) & don't even understand or know how damaging
feedback can be especially with the new policies that have been implemented.

What are some suggestions for buyers/sellers to improve their transactions??
(Besides the obvious ones..paying/shipping in timely manner)

A buyer/seller can still file a non performing ... but this seems to be more than that

Last edited:
I also wonder how many buyers who are not sellers themselves even understand
the ebay system?

I bet there are many buyers who don't have a clue as to what the costs are
(listing fees & final value fees) & don't even understand or know how damaging
feedback can be especially with the new policies that have been implemented.

What are some suggestions for buyers/sellers to improve their transactions??
(Besides the obvious ones..paying/shipping in timely manner)

A buyer/seller can still file a non performing ... but this seems to be more than that
Every ebay member (including buyers who don't sell) gets updates of policy changes, every ebay member has access to the ebay boards where they can ask questions about the changes and request clarification.

In the case of leaving a neutral or negative feedback, once it's left, the damage is done. The defect stays on the seller's account. Even if the buyer revises the feedback, even though the seller might bend over backwards to accommodate buyers, even though the seller does everything right, he/she has a permanent defect on the account, putting that seller at risk of never being able to sell again.

In the case of contacting a seller, even if it's just to ask a simple question about color, shipping, size, etc., the seller gets a permanent defect. NOTHING removes defects -- NOT communication, NOT taking a return, NOT EVEN GIVING THE BUYER A REFUND and letting her keep the item.

Again, every ebay member needs to know and understand every policy change ebay does.

Keep in mind too that a buyer who gives too many dings to sellers also risks loss of ebay privileges.